So much for W10M as an enterprise device

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I really dislike the android/iOS interfaces and love my 950 (and previously 920, 535s, 650s), but Microsoft is really pushing me to leave. I signed up today for Microsoft's GigJam preview through our Office 365 subscription. GigJam is some cool looking software for easy realtime feedback collaboration.

The GigJam site says -

Works with the device you own.
GigJam is built to be awesome on mobile. GigJam is now available for Windows, Mac, and iOS. Android coming soon.

Great! So I go to download it for my 950.

Yup, you guessed it. This software specifically designed by Microsoft, for business, is not available for the enterprise-focused Windows mobile platform, and from the responses on uservoice and their Forum, it's not even on their roadmap. Heck, they apparently don't even consider a Windows phone to be a "device you own".

Unless there's dramatic changes, which I've pretty much given hope on, I'll probably go iPhone. :unhappysweat:

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that. Was the same thread where someone said just iOS and Android. The roadmap page (didn't know about that page - thanks again!) relaxes me somewhat.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
But it's not business focused. They haven't even focused on windows mobile yet. They have no devices to sell to businesses. More focus on mobile will be geared towards the release of redstone 2/3 which will come with the appropriate devices to take advantage of the software.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
But it's not business focused. They haven't even focused on windows mobile yet. They have no devices to sell to businesses. More focus on mobile will be geared towards the release of redstone 2/3 which will come with the appropriate devices to take advantage of the software.

But isn't that what HP is targeting with the X3? If the device doesn't do things that people expect how can it be considered an 'enterprise' device?

MS has not done all that well at working with enterprise and their mobile devices in general. My thought W10M would change that, seems to be a slow road still.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
But isn't that what HP is targeting with the X3? If the device doesn't do things that people expect how can it be considered an 'enterprise' device?

MS has not done all that well at working with enterprise and their mobile devices in general. My thought W10M would change that, seems to be a slow road still.

The reason it's slow is because they said they are not focusing on it, and they aren't. They just started to now.

What HP is providing businesses has its own solutions baked in. The HP workspace is part of that. The ability to only have to manage 1 device instead of multiple. It's probably just a trial run where things were built for specific partners. HP did say they worked with partners on what they needed. Most companies don't just switch their entire company to a solution, they test it on people. They may request certain features and there's a lot of back and forth before they go in for the long term. Plans for software updates are also disclosed among other things. So again HP is just sort of testing the waters and gaining some experience. It's not going to take over the market all of a sudden and it knows that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3