Windows 10 Mobile Camera App-Horrible reliability

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Having same problems with camera saving.
Recently when I go back to look at pics/video they're gone or I get a message saying that my 950 doesn't support this file format. Using stock camera app. Losing all photos I take good sd card

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Much better as compared to what? It crashes, freezes, pauses, and "Saving" endlessly. It's been over a year of this garbage.

Pitiful app for a pitiful OS. The only hope is the mobile team is fired, and that the Surface team starts anew.

Sent from mTalk

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I had a similar issue with a Lumia 640 LTE with Windows Phone 8.1, problem resolved itself when I switched from a fancy Samsung memory card to a generic one from Microcenter.

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
On my Lumia 1020 on Windows 10 I have also the "Saving Bug" with Lumia Camera. If Saving bug happens, I always have to restart the phone, even the lens stays open when the saving bug happened.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
On my Lumia 1020 on Windows 10 I have also the "Saving Bug" with Lumia Camera. If Saving bug happens, I always have to restart the phone, even the lens stays open when the saving bug happened.

Good if it solves it for you. But we lost several days of photos because we thought a restart helps. It did not. All photos were 1MP thumbnails, real photos were all lost.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I have also camera problems. When i take single or two picture, it's OK, but when it comes to taking 10-20 pictures in row, the camera app just starting behave weirdly and basically freezes or crashes and becomes very slow. Lumia 950 Release Preview!!!

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Well then looks like we all are suffering from this issue. Yesterday I had a wedding to attend and in our group only my 650 and a friends iPhone had enough battery to click pictures. Needless to say the Lumia disappointed me like anything. After every 3-4 pictures it would get stuck on saving, and then quitting abruptly. Random freezes when switching between front and back camera, photos appearing plain black when viewing, and then quitting to home screen. Photos app full of black and grey thumbnails and again, scrolling down to see old pictures again quits the photos app. Not to forget the non stop NEVER ENDING PROCESSING on pictures and then ending up with horrible quality photos. Everyone gave up on my phone and switched to the iPhone. I am on the latest production ring with a recent fresh hard reset. Microsoft just ruined the perfect Lumia Camera app that Nokia had :\

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
That sucks.

I have to take photos nearly daily for my work (no, not a photographer), and I use my 950. It never let's me down - other than occasionally taking a ling time to save HDR photos a mentioned by others, but it's very rare for me. I take almost ask my photos in forced HDR mode and MAYBE 1 out of 50 takes a noticeable amount of time to save.

I believe Lumias suffer from two things mainly. 1 is an inconsistent build quality. 2 is software and firmware quality. That's pretty everything really, but luckily my 1 year old 950 has worked great.

I see some blaming Microsoft while wearing their rose colored glasses with Nokia, but the worst phone I've ever had (in 20 years of cellphones) was the Nokia Lumia 830. I had 5 of them, all had problems with capacitive buttons and firmware. They also all had problems unique to each phone. I mean literally everything you can think of. From Bluetooth & Wi-Fi issues to a loose screen.

Point is, it's not new and it's not just since Microsoft took over and it's not just the 950. It's not even just Windows 10.

sabinva

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I had the same issue with my Lumia 640 XL with the latest anniversary update.
I did a hard reset and it looks the issue is resolved now. Please try a hard reset (factory reset) and see if this solves the problem.

Turtle 1972

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same issue on my 640xl; trying the hard reset to see if it fixes it (and an issue I was having with the Maps application as well).

Turtle 1972

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Update: after doing the hard-reset, I'm able to take about 10 photos in a row (in rapid fire succession) before the camera gets the "Saving" message. That message goes away after 5 seconds or so now, so it does seem like the endless "Saving" error was fixed by the reset.

chongkg

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have solved the *.jpg.thumbnail and "forever" saving mode issues. These are the steps I had taken. Please note that this is not a refined method, as in some steps may be unnecessary, but I don't have the time to figure out which are the critical steps.

Hardware: Lumia 930 On the Fast Ring (14977.1000). I was on the Slow Ring when this happened, so I thought going on the Fast Ring.

Briefly: The folders in "Pictures" folder is the culprit.

Step1: Connect your phone to computer and back up everything in the "Pictures" folder.
Step2: Delete everything in the Camera Roll folder. (If you had accidentally deleted this folder, it is ok, it will be recreated when you restart).
Step3: I only have two other folders untouched..."Saved Pictures" and "WhatsApp".
Step4: Delete all other folders in your "Pictures" folder except Camera Roll, Saved Pictures and WhatsApp (If you use this app).
Step5: File Settings....Linked Duplicates = OFF. Camera auto upload = ON. Include videos = ON. File Sources, show my cloud-only content from One Drive = OFF. (not sure whether these are important...you can skip this step and just go to the next one)
Step6: Restart your phone.

I had fixed it since yesterday and initially, you may still see the .thumbnail under file info for the pic. But the actual full res pic is in the folder if you check with your File App. I did another restart and things worked out.

Shooting with HDR ON, tested OK. Shooting videos, tested OK. Shooting multiple pictures (JPEG 16MP, 16:9) - shot 13 pictures before the word saving came on...but it was only for a few seconds before it went away and I can resume shooting.

Other unsuccessful things I have tried:
- soft reset
- installing Lumia Camera Beta
- clearing my Camera Roll Folder and restart (this only worked to remove the "Savings" but not resolve the thumbnail issue).

Hope these helps. Merry Christmas!

jokerdanna

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I've been with this issue for some months ago, since the Redstone version (I think, don't remember). I have Lumia 930, it doesn't support SD memory card. So, it's not about the SDs cards. I thought the last update would fix the problem, but not happened. This means it's a problem with the Camera app.

Geovane Bitencourt

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
SOLVED for app camera. I blocked all updates for app camera and lumia camera, so both work into my lumia 640xl. There ins't a problem with sdcard, the app camera just doesn't work. I still using the first version of app camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss