To shift or not to shift?

Shahroz Naeem

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So I've been using windows phone for over 3 years. First one was a Lumia 520 and around 2 years ago I bought a Lumia 630 Limited Edition (It came with free Coloud Bang headphones.) Now that the Lumia line has closed down, there's little choice available in upgrading. Like the x40 series is old. And in my country, the 640 lte isn't available. Only the 640XL version came and that's too big for me.

So I was thinking of shifting to Android. A Lenovo K5 Plus, which is cheap (Around the same price as a Lumia 650.) But I don't know why, for some reason, I just can't go out and buy myself any android. There's always something holding me back. So I was thinking, does anyone else get this nostalgic feeling? Like knowing that there's no Windows Mobile device to upgrade to?

So the question of the century - Is windows 10 mobile worth it all?

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Like knowing that there's no Windows Mobile device to upgrade to?

So the question of the century - Is windows 10 mobile worth it all?

That depends, if your prepared to consider Alcatel, HP or say a 950 or 950 xl then yes its VERY worth it. These devices are superior to the devices you listed running Windows, so you would be upgrading even if you went for the year old L950.

Shahroz Naeem

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's the thing. HP Elite X3 is great and I would definitely love to own it but that's way out of my budget as are the 950s.
Alcatel doesn't operate in my country. Neither does Acer so those are out of the equation. I'm considering Lumia 650 but I've heard that the Snapdragon 212 is underpowered and not that great. I guess it's just bad luck.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing. HP Elite X3 is great and I would definitely love to own it but that's way out of my budget as are the 950s.
Alcatel doesn't operate in my country. Neither does Acer so those are out of the equation. I'm considering Lumia 650 but I've heard that the Snapdragon 212 is underpowered and not that great. I guess it's just bad luck.

Yeah...i think the 650 is underpowered. That said I loved holding it and thought It's size and weight was second to none.

To your larger question I too get that feeling about WP. I stepped away for 8 months and now I'm back with a 950. While I love W10M, android is way ahead in several areas. But I love my W10M. To is WP today you have to love it. I have a hard time selling WP when I need to.

Sent from mTalk

Shahroz Naeem

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah...i think the 650 is underpowered. That said I loved holding it and thought It's size and weight was second to none.

To your larger question I too get that feeling about WP. I stepped away for 8 months and now I'm back with a 950. While I love W10M, android is way ahead in several areas. But I love my W10M. To is WP today you have to love it. I have a hard time selling WP when I need to.

Sent from mTalk

When you came back to Windows, did you miss out on any features?
I mean, if I shift to Android and then decide to come back to Windows, would I have'd gotten addicted to something which isn't on Windows?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I mean, if I shift to Android and then decide to come back to Windows, would I have'd gotten addicted to something which isn't on Windows?

I came back recently to the 950xl. The only think I "miss out on" are the multitude of apps available on IOS. The only one I will miss not having is the MLB At Bat app. Windows version was killed in 2015. BUT, that's the only one and it's not enough for me to leave for IOS exclusively again.

Random DS

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
If you ask me, go for the 650. I just recently got one, and it feels very good to use. And as for performance, it can even run Asphalt Extreme with like 25-30ish fps. But don't use cheap SD cards with it, because it can ruin the whole experience. I bought a 128 GB Maxell micro SD to use with it, and apps running on it were laggy as hell, and it caused the phone to freeze, crash or made all the apps not able to open. Now, after reformatting it like 5 to 10 times with both my PC and the phone itself, it works well. But I don't want you to suffer from that torture, and think the phone sucks :D

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I think it really depends on what you are used to and what you use. If you get used to using apps that aren't present on Windows, that could make it hard to want to try.

I ditto what both @aximtreo and @Byrese said. For me, I'll add that I switch all the time between the three (iOS, Android, Windows 10 Mobile) and I miss little and somewhat big things when I return to Windows. The big things are my ebook app, and MLB At Bat. On Windows, the ebook app is bad, so I have to use Edge to read. I like having that option but it's a battery drain. For MLB At Bat, I have been using ESPN as a substitution which has worked, aside from a slight delay.

I got used to not reading in the browser, and it's nice that I don't have to.

The 650 is a nice little phone unless you require power...

Tsukai Kurai

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
That's really going to come down to your personal preference. I just switched back to iOS this year. I'd been using a Windows 10 Mobile phone since early 2015, absolutely adored and loved it. Originally it was on the Lumia 635. It ran well enough on that phone that I didn't suffer too much. As I read in one of the other replies your SD card is going to play a factor in speed and stability.

Personally, I'll never go back to Android. It's just not worth it. Best experiences I've had are with iOS and Windows Phone 8.1/Windows 10 Mobile. Just look at what you plan on using your phone for. Then, buy a phone that matches what your use case scenario looks like. That said, I have a coworker with the 650, which he happens to enjoy to a great extent.

Best of luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss