are you on wp 8.1 or 10 ? and why ? also compare !

zombiephone

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
i was on windows 10 but today i roll back to windows phone 8.1
because a number of reasons like :
1)speed ...windows 8.1 is way more faster than windows 10
2)no lag what so ever ....wp 8.1 is so smooth unlike wp 10
3)the camera is much better and faster on windows phone 8.1 in terms of quality and capture speed
4)the apps work great on wp 8.1 ...on wp 10 there is lag and bugs
i think the most important thing that wp 8.1 have and wp 10 dont have is
Reliability
thats it Reliability ..the most important thing that users stop using wp 10 and go back wp 8 and to other platform ....
share your thoughts what do you think
thanks

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Depends what phone you are running Windows 10 mobile on.
I remember replying to one of your posts, as you had issues running Win10M on a HTC M8.
Is this the phone you are referring to?
Not all phones run Win10M the same and the M8 was dropped from Win10M, presumably because of reliability issues.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it does depend on the phone. I'm using Windows 10 Mobile with the 950. I tried going back to 8.1 on a 640 but some apps I use daily have upgraded so much that I can't go back, or it's only a W10M app.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm running the latest Fast release on my Nokia 1520 and my Elite x3. The only difference I notice between the two is the x3 has more updated hardware and processor so it runs a bit faster. Both seem to be solid in day to day operation.

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Still running 8.1 on my L925 as it's not on the upgrade list. To tempt me onto W10M I would need a device with...
Qi Charging
Glance
Premium build
Gestures (for call answering)
Pureview-quality camera with OIS
Dedicated camera button
...so for the present I'll stick with what I have (and which is working very well) as long as the few apps I use remain available.

Last edited:

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Windows Phone 8.1 on Lumia 1520, primarily because I have nothing to complain about. I love the WP8.1 OS, and I love the phone.

If I had to think of some specific reasons that I haven't upgraded to Win10:
- Square profile pictures and other misc WP 8.1 user interface design.
- Flawless performance of WP 8.1.
- Thinking that Lumia 1520 camera will perform better with 8.1 and Nokia's various imaging apps.
- Doubts from problematic feedback of Windows 10 Mobile that fellow community members have posted on these forums, although many have said that the 1520 runs Win10 just fine.
- Concern that battery life will take a hit on 10.

I guess if 6tag or 8.1 facebook stopped functioning, I'd bite the bullet and update to 10 on my 1520.

As for my Lumia 1520, to quote Charlie Heston, "...from my cold, dead, hands!" I love the 1520 so much and there is nothing on the market that I'd rather have, so I will continue using this phone indefinitely until the battery dies and I can't get a new battery. Still getting an average of 1.5 to 2 days between charges, so no complaints.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
it doesn't matter what phone, ANY phone will be slower and buggier on w10m, w10m is the reliability problem, not whatever phone you happen to run it on, slower phones just make it all the more annoying and unbearable

RS1 was a substantial improvement over TH2 which was insanely bad, I believe -or hope- that RS2 can make it almost-recommendable again, according to some numbers RS2 is about 20% faster than RS1 and considering we lost like +40% speed coming from 8.1 to TH2 we might be getting our 8.1 performance back, mind you thats just speediness not reliability and/or smoothness

its probably on RS3 at the end of the year that we might get a viable(for MOST users, not half of them) w10m build, then we can focus on crying about apps again

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Copypaste from THIS thread:

Well, I decided to call it quits with Windows 10 Mobile and downgrade my 640 back to Windows Phone 8.1. Despite all the improvements - especially to Outlook, Cortana, Office, and Edge - W10M just doesn't feel right for me on the 640. Features from WP8.1 are missing (although some are gained), there are UI inconsistencies, battery life is worse, and honestly, it doesn't look right on a device built for WP8.1. That last point sounds silly, but W10M's sharp and tight aesthetic doesn't match with the 640's round and bold-coloured design. I hold my phone, look at it and all I see is a mismatch.

Oh WP8.1, how I missed thee! Everything just works, and smoothly too. It feels so right on the 640. There are a couple of setbacks, mainly the return of the text rendering bug, Cortana's back in Alpha (yay Australia!) and the zombie in the room: the app situation. Also I'm having difficulty purchasing music in the store via the xbox music app too. Other than those quibbles, everything is absolutely and reassuringly fine. It's good to be back. :)

The only scenario that sees me using W10M is if either I buy a 550, 650 or 950/XL, or the app situation gets worse thus forcing me to upgrade. The former is far likelier.

I didn't mention it earlier but speed was another reason why I downgraded. WP8.1 is better optimised on the Lumia 640, specifically the S400 SoC. W10M IMHO isn't optimised to the extent of WP8.1 for older SoCs like the S400. That's understandable though. W10M is optimised for newer albeit slow SoCs like the S210 and S212 on the 550 and 650 respectively, therefore we get an all-round even and in some instances better performance compared to S400 devices running W10M.

On a side note, WP8.1 could have been further optimised given that multi-platform games like Asphalt 8, Crossy Road et al run slower and are rendered at lower graphical settings compared to android phones with the exact same SoC and GPU.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using 10. This is because I prefer the UI and there are a lot of Win10 only apps that I use. This also goes for the updated Twitter and Instagram apps which are worlds greater than the 8.1 versions.

Faisal Islam2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I am on windows 10, because I want to use new features ! But I am badly missing that smoothness of windows 8.1! Lumia camera was too good! But now windows camera sucks , photos app sucks

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I am on windows 10, because I want to use new features ! But I am badly missing that smoothness of windows 8.1! Lumia camera was too good! But now windows camera sucks , photos app sucks

I concur about the camera apps. However even the 8.1 photos app wasn't great for me. Really preferred the 8.0 version

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Windows 10 on a Lumia 830. It's just all the little things added on compared to WP8.1, like how the notifications and quick actions work (that you can show all quick actions at once and you have a flash toggle), the nipple on the keyboard, music controls on the lockscreen. Also better versions of apps like Instagram, Twitter etc. I also like the startscreen better, that you can change UI scaling and put 4 tiles side by side. The settings are arranged in a much more logical way, on 8.1 it was just one big list in seemingly random order

Mihai N

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I've been using 10 on my 735 for a long time now and I won't be going back to 8.1 because I like how the UI evolved and the new W10M only apps. The only things I don't like are the new FB Messenger app that stopped working due to the 2GB memory requirement(but I got rid of it and switched to WhatsApp) and the new Camera app that has features not working for months now(especially Shutter speed)

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I would say if you care for the Windows Phone platform get a Lumia 950 and enjoy Windows 10 Mobile. If you are on an older phone then upgrade or get a phone that supports Windows 10 Mobile.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
it doesn't matter what phone, ANY phone will be slower and buggier on w10m, w10m is the reliability problem, not whatever phone you happen to run it on, slower phones just make it all the more annoying and unbearable

RS1 was a substantial improvement over TH2 which was insanely bad, I believe -or hope- that RS2 can make it almost-recommendable again, according to some numbers RS2 is about 20% faster than RS1 and considering we lost like +40% speed coming from 8.1 to TH2 we might be getting our 8.1 performance back, mind you thats just speediness not reliability and/or smoothness
Disagree. My 1520 was originally on WP 8. I bought it because my One. m8 was too small for normal use. It was decent but became much faster when I moved to WM10. This, even though I was using an early fast ring build.

I was on my One M8 this weekend and found the 8.1 UI childish almost. Not as bad as Windows FP but close.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen