Windows 10 Mobile Users Go Buy Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm no way a windows phone fan , also I'm not a fan of any OS, I love technology and love all things Technology! I've never used Windows Phone but I'm always watching closely waiting for the perfect time to have one which never come ( unless the surface makes me)! So here is my advice since the success of WinMO is based on apps availability, and since the ends is so ow to justify the means, then the savior has arrived! Samsung is going to use continuum like feature for its android phones (MAINSTREAM) and this could be a key turning point for WinMo! If many people uses that continuum feature then that might force devs to create compelling apps for desktop (UWP) reading from this ANDROID CENTER LINK Seems like it's the perfect time! So my advice go buy S8 and use the continuum feature like crazy and by the time the surface phone comes out 2019 there'll be lot's of apps for it then you can just switch back! My Advice

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think that idea really adds up. Why would developers spend time developing for Windows 10 Mobile when all the crazy Continuum use is on Android then?

ladydias

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Ummmm, no. On no planet will buying and using a Continuum-like feature on a non-Windows device magically translate to Android devs flocking to Windows to give us UWP apps. They want to do the least amount of work to make money (can't blame them with the way programming operates) and that'll just push them to ignore anything else but Android even more.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No thanks. I've owned every iteration of Samsung Galaxy S since the 1st and this is the first I'll be passing on. No non-edge variant to choose from and the fingerprint sensor placement is horrific. Add that to removing the physical home button and capacitive navigation keys and that's more than enough to say "I'm out!". LG G6 is more appealing to me. Double tap to wake, Always On Display (like Glance) and amazing dual cameras makes switching from a Lumia much easier.

Oh and your point about using Samsungs version of Continuum to save Windows on mobile is the equivalent of saying "hey everyone, go buy a ChromeBook to help boost Windows"

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Ummmm, no. On no planet will buying and using a Continuum-like feature on a non-Windows device magically translate to Android devs flocking to Windows to give us UWP apps. They want to do the least amount of work to make money (can't blame them with the way programming operates) and that'll just push them to ignore anything else but Android even more.

It's android with windows... A win win

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
No thanks. I've owned every iteration of Samsung Galaxy S since the 1st and this is the first I'll be passing on. No non-edge variant to choose from and the fingerprint sensor placement is horrific. Add that to removing the physical home button and capacitive navigation keys and that's more than enough to say "I'm out!". LG G6 is more appealing to me. Double tap to wake, Always On Display (like Glance) and amazing dual cameras makes switching from a Lumia much easier.

Oh and your point about using Samsungs version of Continuum to save Windows on mobile is the equivalent of saying "hey everyone, go buy a ChromeBook to help boost Windows"

But Samsung dex will run on windows pc and if user wanna use say an app that's not yet on uwp this can be the reason for devs to bring it as long as lots of people are demanding it... Now we all know that 90% of pc users run windows and 85% of mobile users run android... Demand meet supply

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
But Samsung dex will run on windows pc and if user wanna use say an app that's not yet on uwp this can be the reason for devs to bring it as long as lots of people are demanding it... Now we all know that 90% of pc users run windows and 85% of mobile users run android... Demand meet supply

But you are assuming the Dex with Galaxy will run Windows? I can't see it whatsoever and haven't seen anything to support that? I think it'll run something created by Samsung themselves or less likely Android in some form

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
But you are assuming the Dex with Galaxy will run Windows? I can't see it whatsoever and haven't seen anything to support that? I think it'll run something created by Samsung themselves or less likely Android in some form

Why is this hard to understand? Samsung uses windows apps ... Even now we are doing that we have continuum like feature on my Galaxy Alpha... Samsung uses the same apps running on windows

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I just cant do it. Tried all flagship android phones and just cant stand android os. So Windows it is for me till it dies totally!!

Sent from mTalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why is this hard to understand? Samsung uses windows apps ... Even now we are doing that we have continuum like feature on my Galaxy Alpha... Samsung uses the same apps running on windows

It's hard to understand because it's simply not true.

To me it sounds like you fundamentally misunderstand something about software technology. The only way a Samsung smartphone could use UWP apps is if that device shipped with the Windows OS. No other OS can run UWP software. Any such Windows based device would suffer all the same issues every Windows based smartphone to date has... including a fatal lack of developer interest due to the small user base.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's hard to understand because it's simply not true.

To me it sounds like you fundamentally misunderstand something about software technology. The only way a Samsung smartphone could use UWP apps is if that device shipped with the Windows OS. No other OS can run UWP software. Any such Windows based device would suffer all the same issues every Windows based smartphone to date has... including a fatal lack of developer interest due to the small user base.

Galaxy 8 will not run Windows. However, Samsung will be releasing an android handset eventually that runs a separate instance of full windows 10 when docked only. This is a big motive behind Project Rome where developers can create a continuity like feature between android/windows 10 UWP. Now, a lot of this is also dependent on the ecosystem. Project Centennial needs to gain some ground since this will be full windows 10 on ARM. MS is also slowly going to make sure all their android apps and windows apps support project Rome. Samsung and MS are also likely creating partnerships with big software vendors. Having Samsung back MS is quite a big move.

Samsung has already been granted patents that allow them to contextually change between windows 10 and android. Samsung has been wanting to split from Google for a while. They also need more partnerships for fall back if Google decides to use their brand to eat away at their sales. Google is planning to become a premium handset maker with Android as they also can't depend on Samsung. People want a real PC when they need to be at a monitor keyboard/mouse. Samsung is already in the PC business but they want to be a bigger player. Using its phones where it reigns supreme as the only competitor against Apple is a smart move. It's simply going to merge the two to have contextually aware devices. Will this in any way help windows mobile? It could, but that's not really the point of it. MS wants to keep the PC relevant in a mobile world. It still has a lot of work to do on its own end for it's own solution.

Anyways, these patents are a different category all together, however this definitely shows that Samsung is interested in windows being integrated with their phones in some way. In fact, this patent could be using full windows with the adaptive shell. You can move stuff between the two os's but you likely will only use the windows one when you hook up to a monitor.

Samsung-Android-Windows-Dual.jpg

Samsung-Android-Windows-Dual-OS-Smartphone.jpg

Samsung-Windows-Dual-Android-796x401.jpg

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Project Rome - I hadn't heard of that.

One thing everyone is missing. Were I to get an SGS8, I'd be stuck with the horrid TouchWiz UI until Cyanogen comes along to root the phone.

Sent from mTalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy 8 will not run Windows. However, Samsung will be releasing an android handset eventually that runs a separate instance of full windows 10 when docked only

I agree. None of this will help UWP's popularity, nor is it meant to. It will likely even be detrimental to UWP, as it will remove yet another reason for developers to make an UWP app (and it's not as if there are that many to begin with). MS will also utterly fail at explaining the difference between this Continuity feature and their completely different but superficially similar Continuum feature, which likely also won't help UWP much.

Anyway, I couldn't quite follow along with every point you made (e.g. I didn't understand why you deem Project Centennial to be important for any of this), but it was certainly an interesting read! Thank you for that!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree. None of this will help UWP's popularity, nor is it meant to. It will likely even be detrimental to UWP, as it will remove yet another reason for developers to make an UWP app (and it's not as if there are that many to begin with). MS will also utterly fail at explaining the difference between this Continuity feature and their completely different but superficially similar Continuum feature, which likely also won't help UWP much.

Anyway, I couldn't quite follow along with every point you made (e.g. I didn't understand why you deem Project Centennial to be important for any of this), but it was certainly an interesting read! Thank you for that!

You don't understand it because in order to see windows with a future you have to think so outside of the box that only a trip on acid could justify the logic.

I guess the idea is that any emulation that occurs with windows 10 on arm will likely be limited to windows store apps. And to get w32 apps into windows store you need project centennial. If Samsung ever wants to have a desktop feature in their phones that run windows 10, they won't take a half assed UWP version. They will need real apps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You don't understand it because in order to see windows with a future you have to think so outside of the box that only a trip on acid could justify the logic.

You saying you're on acid right now? :)

I guess the idea is that any emulation that occurs with windows 10 on arm will likely be limited to windows store apps. And to get w32 apps into windows store you need project centennial. If Samsung ever wants to have a desktop feature in their phones that run windows 10, they won't take a half assed UWP version. They will need real apps.

Okay, this is actually why I didn't understand you. Installing Win32 software on W10oA, x86 or ARM (i.e. emulated or not), is not dependent on the Windows Store. You'll be able to install any Win32 software, no matter where it came from, in exactly the same way you'd install it on any normal x86 Windows PC.

I've already seen this work myself. WCentral also mentioned it in a previous article:

Users will be able to install any x86 Win32 app – unmodified – from any source, no repackaging as UWP or delivery via the Windows Store required.

source

If getting Win32 software installed on W10oA were only possible through the Windows Store, then it would be DOA.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
You saying you're on acid right now? :)

Okay, this is actually why I didn't understand you. Installing Win32 software on W10oA, x86 or ARM (i.e. emulated or not), is not dependent on the Windows Store. You'll be able to install any Win32 software, no matter where it came from, in exactly the same way you'd install it on any normal x86 Windows PC.

I've already seen this work myself. WCentral also mentioned it in a previous article:

source

If getting Win32 software installed on W10oA were only possible through the Windows Store, then it would be DOA.

Ahh ok that's sweet. If the source doesn't matter then that's good.

Haha I just think like a normal person on acid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3