One heck of a week for W10 Mobile. What's everyone feeling?

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Maybe it wasn't made clear, but I got the idea that Microsoft didn't necessarily help with Dex itself, but they optimized their Office apps for DeX. That's what I gathered from the Samsung demo.

Is there something I missed?

Ah, that's true. Regardless that's technically a sign MS saw Dex and we're accepting of it. I mean I guess they *have* to be since they want office to be on as many platforms at once but... This still says something IMO. They would have seen Dex. They know what they're looking at. No comments have been made and they're selling THEIR version of the S8 in stores so... Don't tell me that doesn't mean something.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, FWIW... It's national beer day in the US, So drink if you got 'em!

Thought I'd try to lighten the mood here 😂

Conspiracy theory IPA 😋
NFNtJY7.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have come to a conclusion that no matter what, wp will be around. Sure there maybe only 10 of us left in the end but it will never be a 100% gone. Windows Phone will be around.

I'm with you; i'm in it for the long haul...i use Windows 10 on all my other devices; love how they all compliment each other and work together seamlessly now! (i really like how when i get a text while i'm on my computer, the notification just pops up to the right, and i can answer without touching my phone!)

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame really. Surface Pro is amazing, Book is amazing, Windows 10 is amazin, Surface Studio is incredible...and then there is Mobile.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this?

Not only have we seen reports about the trouble W10M is in for months, but a really weird thing happened right at the end after all these reports... and I mean REALLY weird:

My phone kept working. Just the way it worked the day before.... the week before.... the month before.... And it did everything I wanted it to. I took pretty photos... synced to OneDrive... showed new emails in my live tiles... weather updates on live tiles... when my previous city of residence (Stockholm) got hit by a terrorist attack yesterday I got pushed notifications on it... the live news tile updated to reflect it... I used my phone to tap-to-pay at Trader Joes...

and on and on and on and on........

Really the ONLY thing that changes my experience with W10M is when I read all the whining on forums, and then it's just me being exasperated with mankind and really still has nothing to do with W10M.....

That's how I feel about.

Now back to the regular programming (more whining and proclamations of "death")...

nwnjjim

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Very well said mattiasnyc. From someone who has been on Windows phone since 5.0, I was beginning to ask myself why I wasn't as unhappy as people on these forums. I was disappointed when my Nokia Lumia 900 and 1020 were unceremoniously obsoleted by Microsoft and couldn't be upgraded, but figured that was technology. Flagship one day, forgotten the next. Now on the 950, extremely happy, beginning to wonder why I am. With every model I had, 8125, 8525, Focus, Touch, L900, L1020 and now L900 the whining and forecasts of doom have continued. These models cover several years now and I have enjoyed every one of these phones and OS's. They have served me well. Funny, If I listen to the whiners here, I would conclude that those ba*****ds at Microsoft have been making a fool of me and feasting on my stupidity for almost a decade. These forums make me feel so good - NOT.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not only have we seen reports about the trouble W10M is in for months, but a really weird thing happened right at the end after all these reports... and I mean REALLY weird:

My phone kept working. Just the way it worked the day before.... the week before.... the month before.... And it did everything I wanted it to. I took pretty photos... synced to OneDrive... showed new emails in my live tiles... weather updates on live tiles... when my previous city of residence (Stockholm) got hit by a terrorist attack yesterday I got pushed notifications on it... the live news tile updated to reflect it... I used my phone to tap-to-pay at Trader Joes...

and on and on and on and on........

Really the ONLY thing that changes my experience with W10M is when I read all the whining on forums, and then it's just me being exasperated with mankind and really still has nothing to do with W10M.....

That's how I feel about.

Now back to the regular programming (more whining and proclamations of "death")...

Yah but, but, but....

Hope all is OK in Stockholm.

It seems all some people can do is grab ahold of doom and gloom. When there are actually real problems in the world, which you evidenced, it's more important to let everyone know we think Windows Mobile is dead. It gets tiring.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I wanted to show support for your comment, but I couldn't because you ruined it with the "liking" of the archaic android comment.

Haha hey, I like being able to tinker. I don't like tinkering with my daily driver, but picking up an Android device and just doing weird stuff can be fun. Android has its perks, I just don't think they justify me actually using one over any of my Windows phones.

vishwas_prabhu

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have come to a conclusion that no matter what, wp will be around. Sure there maybe only 10 of us left in the end but it will never be a 100% gone. Windows Phone will be around.

Though my primary phone is an iPhone, I'll always keep my L640xl. Love for WM will never die.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Should I say more?
Need I say more than I already have around here?
Microsoft couldn't care less about w10m users.....all 58 of them
It is people like you, who advocate the Way of the Tux, which compel MS to abandon WM10. In fact, Ubuntu just abandoned Unity AND the smartphone because of that.
</sarcasm >

Seriously, Dona Sarkur just tweeted a few days ago that they're not throwing in the towel yet. I see a big picture thing for them.

Take a look at this thread. Granted, Dona is using an Iphone, but she states that MS isn't giving up - yet.

@donasarkar's tweet https://twitter.com/donasarkar/statuses/849104051006431233

Sent from mTalk

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Dona is using an Iphone...
Sent from mTalk

The appearance of inappropriate behavior.
Certainly, the above quoted statement about Donna using an apple phone is taken out of context, but the comment, if true, is so pathetic. Just pathetic. What kind of ignorant thinking, thinks this makes any sense. She is promoting the use of apple phones with their Windows 1995 chicklet style icon user interface?

No wonder some of the Microsoft faithful are "quitting" their support. Even Donna is encouraging the quitters.

I won't quit the wonderful, efficient, informative Windows Mobile user interface even "if" Donna, isn't loyal and "promotes" the use of old fashioned apple phones.

Last edited:

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Linux has no business here.....but trust me, its as stable as w10 (Linux Mint. I don't use the very fat Ubuntu)
I own a dual boot laptop. Linux for my daughter to browse safely and w10 for my activities.

With regards to Donna using an IPhone...............I rest my case......again. That speaks for itself.

Don't get me wrong!

I currently have a 640, a 535, a 532 and 2 w10 tablets from a german brand called Odys......
The tablets run fine and I really love them over android crap and BS expensive IPads......but the phones?
They are rubbish with w10m

Last edited:

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't see the issue with Donna using an iPhone. At some point, especially as working journalistic professional, you're going to have to make the switch to anything but W10M. Not only have cameras come a long ways since she owned a 1020 then but the 1020 is dead in the water so far as updates and apps go. Suffice to say you can only make up for the app gap so much when you're taking on a particular type of work or workload. There's literally nothing wrong with her using whatever makes her happier or her workflow make more sense.

That being said, for the people who ARE satisfied, despite the the fact Windows mobile might be at a dead end, that's fine as well so long as it's suiting their needs. To be fair it's just not necessary for most people to upgrade their cellphone frequently unless there's some greater reason to have the newer phone. Obviously some people just want a newer, fancier device. But for the most part phones haven't made such spectacular leaps in the past while that one MUST or even wants to upgrade. If a Windows Phone is fulfilling your tasks in ways you're happy with and you're satisfied with the performance and camera etc... Then what's the harm?

Eventually that honeymoon will come to an end the same way all devices that lose in the marketplace do (we all know you replaced your HD-DVD's with something else) but for the time being W10M users don't need to make that choice if they don't want to.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone will be fine. We have to be patient. Product life cycles are longer (everyone knows the iPhone 7 wasn't much over the 6s). And end dating phones going back 4+ years is quite normal for the industry. MS might also alter course a bit. Wait and see.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Valid point. I made the case for Dona on Iphone simply because it is clear MS's bigger picture vision is to get their services in as many places as possible. Remember, what model of PCs first ran Excel. Brilliant move, IMO.

Sent from mTalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
@Haydog55

You are likely confused because your mental model includes hardware related issues (ARM, phone form factor, etc). W10M is not and never has been about that. That's all tangential. At most. Forget hardware!

W10M is about software, more specifically it's about the UWP. At its core, W10M is a lightweight and free consumer oriented host for UWP software. Being "consumer oriented" is NOT about new or different features, but about fewer features. Specifically, it's about shedding most things related to Win32 and all the security and usability issues that come with it (which I've explained elsewhere and won't repeat here).

W10M = Universal Windows Platform without the Win32 bloat. But also without Win32 compatibility.

Being tied to the UWP means W10M can only ever be as relevant as the UWP is, and that's the problem. It's irrelevant to most. If UWP ever becomes more popular, so will W10M. Otherwise the UWP and W10M will go down together.

The interesting question is: how will UWP make gains in popularity and achieve relevancy? That's what nobody yet understands. Some say UWP will forever remain a niche if MS neglects W10M on smartphones (like some WCentral writers). Others (including MS) say W10M on smartphones is a lost cause, which is why they are looking for a different path to popularize their mobile offerings and the UWP along with it.

We shall see...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss