Predictive text

LexaSap

May 17, 2016
Visit site
The absolute worst is when it tries to put "It's" into the middle of a sentence when I want to type "its." How does a bug like that even get introduced? Why does it force me to use the wrong word grammatically? Why does it capitalize a word in the middle of the sentence? It's incredibly frustrating.

It's with a capital in the middle of a sentence is obviously wrong. I like to be able to add words to the dictionary, but when it's the first word of a sentence, it will add that to the dictionary and from that time onwards it will change lowercase words to the capitalize one. I hate that. Especially when the basic function of an electronic dictionary nowadays is missing: the option to delete a word. I guess that you once added It's yourself and now you're screwed haha.

I have several wrong words in my dictionary and MS tells me to reset it if I want to get rid of it. But then I'll be missing all 1000+ words I added myself, since (at least in Dutch) the amount of words missing is huge. In Dutch a lot of words needs to be combined into one word. In English you have coffee and cup and a cup for coffee is a coffee cup. In Dutch we have koffie and kopje. So we drink a kopje koffie, but we drink it from a koffiekopje. There are thousands of similar things. We have things lik wallplug, flowerpot and so on. MS's dictionary does not know half of the possibilities of our language, but writing koffie kopje is as wrong in Dutch as writing coffeecup in English.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So as I was typing in this thread earlier, the perfect example came up. Just thought I would share, although everybody knows what I'm talking about already obviously. In what world would you type "upl" and then want any of the given suggestions? Maybe upload? uplift? Nope, that would be too easy.
wp_ss_20170412_0001.png

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I hear ya! I was remembering the Hub Keyboard that I have on my SGS 6. I took a screenshot. It is amazingly good at predictive text. (Though I still wish it would "learn" from Twitter, Facebook, email like SwiftKey and Swype do.)

cortana-android_hub_keyboard.png

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Any word more than 5~6 letters long will simply not be recognized by swype in win 10 mobile keyboard for me anymore. 8.1 on my 1020 was fine with this sort of thing. Even with logic for prediction, I don't understand why it has to be so extremely horrible. I mean, its almost as if whatever I typed doesn't matter at all.

Lordtree

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I thought it was only me... Although it has greatly improved over the initial builds, and has new features, the fluidity of flow has deteriorated. Lexicon is limited to coloquial terms. Also the sound cues that used to indicate "not finding a word" have been missing since the introduction of w10m. There is improvement but it had to start from where it was left off, not from scratch.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, I could amaze people with my 1020. So true, if I could put 8.1 on my XL, I think would do everything I need, except take photos like the 1020.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The more important question: Why has MS not yet ported SwiftKey to W10M?

I was just reading on some of Microsoft's recent acquisitions. Swiftkey being one of them. It was last year in February that they did. My guess is that they are building up R&D in feedback but also it could have taken time to integrate Swift key into their enterprise functions... Good thought though. Maybe we will see it soon, considering it has been a year already. It won't make the same appearance though I could assume as it is a service, so it could show up in a number of forms on the Microsoft platforms.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Probably the most frustrating thing about windows is how horrible the keyboard flow and predictive text is. Always gives me "fur" for "for"; "Ty" for "you" "RI" for "to" and all kinds of other nonsense.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My initial impression from 15063.251 is it seems more accurate to me! I just had it loaded yesterday from 14393.1066 on my 950XL

or maybe it's just a "seems faster" moment

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My initial impression from 15063.251 is it seems more accurate to me! I just had it loaded yesterday from 14393.1066 on my 950XL

or maybe it's just a "seems faster" moment

I was actually coming in to revisit this thread, and mention exactly "seems faster", lol. Predictions make way more sense, and it actually fixes when I hit 'a' instead of the shift arrow to capitalize. It doesn't capitalize the word, but it at least remove the "a" from the front of the word. It's almost bearable now, lol. Still not SwiftKey...

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I was actually coming in to revisit this thread, and mention exactly "seems faster", lol. Predictions make way more sense, and it actually fixes when I hit 'a' instead of the shift arrow to capitalize. It doesn't capitalize the word, but it at least remove the "a" from the front of the word. It's almost bearable now, lol. Still not SwiftKey...

I really hope this is true.

The complete horror of typing on my 950 is the only real issue I have with it (the terrible bluetooth controls are annoying but not a deal breaker). It's gotten bad enough for me to consider switching to an Android.

I don't get how it went from so good in 8.1 to so bad in 10. I have to type in at least 50% of the words I want letter by letter. Anything over 5 letters and wordflow will come up with some truly asinine suggestions. Anything under 4 letters and it will pick whatever random 2 letter word it feels like. The 4-5 letter words seem to be the "sweet spot" :)grincry:) where it will get 60-70% of them right.

I can deal with not having the couple of apps I want, but when one of the core functions of the phone is (and has been since day 1) broken, it makes me wonder what in the world MS is spending time on updating. It's becoming more and more clear that nobody working on W10M actually uses a Windows Phone, otherwise something like this would have been top priority.

It's so bad that when I upgraded my old 1020 from 8.1 to 10 on the fast ring, I was 100% confident it was a bug that would be fixed on the next insider update. Almost 2 years later and it hasn't improved at all.

I'm really looking for MS to give me any reason to stay. With what they focus on with the updates, it's almost like they are trying to push users away.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Core functions just aren't there, and MS doesn't seem to care. Keyboard should be swiftkey (or at least an option), notifications should allow a repeat, vibration should be adjustable, Outlook calendar should allow multiple and custom reminder times, and navigation should run under lock screen. If these are fixed, I wouldn't care that apps aren't there. Fix these things, and the users and apps will follow.

brian stabinger

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Swipe Typing errors with 950 vs Other

Just for giggles, I've been using my 1020 for the past week, vs my 950. Aside from the 8.1 v 10, there is one thing that I've found the 1020 does far, far better than the 950; Swipe typing accuracy.

I've been using my 950 for almost two years, and since day 1, I've always thought that the typing wasn't as accurate as it should be. I chalked this up to user error. However, in the last week, using the 1020, I'm floored by just how much better the swipe-type (or whatever it's called) works! A simple 21-word sentence (no Pronouns, or oddities) on the 950 garnered 16 errors. The 1020? Zero. It got every word.

Is this an issue that has some sort of fix, of work-around? My hands are on the large-side, so I can't imagine it's a spacing issue. And I've been using this phone for almost two years, and it has always been poor.

In all honesty, the swiping accuracy on the 1020 (vs 950) is such a simple relief/joy, it's making it tough to re-activate the 950.

Cheers!

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It does run under lock screen, I shut the screen to allow for faster battery charging
Then there is an issue with my 950, and my 640 had the same flaw. Every time I locked the screen, and tried to unlock it, it failed to pick up where I left off. It would kick me out of navigation. I admittedly have not tried it again with the "Creators" update.

Sorry, I will stop derailing the thread now, lol

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Then there is an issue with my 950, and my 640 had the same flaw. Every time I locked the screen, and tried to unlock it, it failed to pick up where I left off. It would kick me out of navigation. I admittedly have not tried it again with the "Creators" update.

Sorry, I will stop derailing the thread now, lol

Maybe Maps is not allowed to run in the background for you? I don't do it as much as I used to before like with the threshold builds because back then, the battery really got killed fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12