Unsupported CU phone users: What will you do now?

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Recently (2 days ago) took my 535 from release preview to slow ring to avoid getting locked out. For the first day I really regretted my decision because it ran horribly but it has improved dramatically and even runs better than the Anniversary update.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Recently (2 days ago) took my 535 from release preview to slow ring to avoid getting locked out. For the first day I really regretted my decision because it ran horribly but it has improved dramatically and even runs better than the Anniversary update.
I keep reading about a fear of being locked out. Maybe I just missed it but I haven't seen anything to support that will happen. Can someone please point me to what the fear is based on? I don't want to get left out on my backup 1520 or 640 but also don't want to waste the time and effort of switching to slow ring and making them not so good backups while there.

Also, if a lockout happens, and someone has installed it before the lock, what happens after the inevitable future need to do a hard reset?

TIA

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading about a fear of being locked out. Maybe I just missed it but I haven't seen anything to support that will happen. Can someone please point me to what the fear is based on? I don't want to get left out on my backup 1520 or 640 but also don't want to waste the time and effort of switching to slow ring and making them not so good backups while there.

Also, if a lockout happens, and someone has installed it before the lock, what happens after the inevitable future need to do a hard reset or use WDRT?

TIA

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Also, if a lockout happens, and someone has installed it before the lock, what happens after the inevitable future need to do a hard reset?

TIA

This happened the first time with the original Anniversary Update. That fear is there because it is real and it has happened before. Your 640 is fine, since it is supported but your 1520 will be left out in the cold.

If it has to hard reset, it should be fine, I think since it is already on the OS but you will be unable to update.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I opted for Slow Ring Insider Preview and updated my 535DS to 15063.138.
This is my first experience with Insider.The update was about 4.5 GB - first to 15063.2 then again to 15063.138 . After the update was complete I changed to Release Preview Ring in case Slow Ring starts getting RS 3 builds.After 25th April I might leave Insider Preview.
I did not do any hard reset as I did not face any problems till now after the update.Only Notifications and Actions page in Settings does not scroll properly.I found some inbuilt message alert tones which were there all these days gone and new tones in their place.I was surprised to see that some ringtones which I had downloaded long time ago and I thought were lost after previous WDRTs were back and they are working normally.
Since this is not my daily driver I went for Insider .I might not have done so had it been my primary phone.

Edit - The keyboard in Creators Update is much better than it was in AU.I had lots of problems typing after AU which I did not have on 8.1 or on Th 2.

Last edited:

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
This happened the first time with the original Anniversary Update. That fear is there because it is real and it has happened before. Your 640 is fine, since it is supported but your 1520 will be left out in the cold.

If it has to hard reset, it should be fine, I think since it is already on the OS but you will be unable to update.

That is why I went for the Insider now - in case my phone is not eligible for Insider around 25th when the Creators Update rolls out for non Insiders.

Prasun Das

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I opted for Slow Ring Insider Preview and updated my 535DS to 15063.138.
This is my first experience with Insider.The update was about 4.5 GB - first to 15063.2 then again to 15063.138 . After the update was complete I changed to Release Preview Ring in case Slow Ring starts getting RS 3 builds.After 25th April I might leave Insider Preview.
I did not do any hard reset as I did not face any problems till now after the update.Only Notifications and Actions page in Settings does not scroll properly.I found some inbuilt message alert tones which were there all these days gone and new tones in their place.I was surprised to see that some ringtones which I had downloaded long time ago and I thought were lost after previous WDRTs were back and they are working normally.
Since this is not my daily driver I went for Insider .I might not have done so had it been my primary phone.

Edit - The keyboard in Creators Update is much better than it was in AU.I had lots of problems typing after AU which I did not have on 8.1 or on Th 2.

Does yours have this blackscreen when the phone is unloacked? Lockscreeen slides up and I can her the unloack sound but no display at all i.e blackscreen!!

Prasun Das

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site

Hey What now are we stuck or what ??

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I'll do nothing, just stick with AU, as CU doesn't bring anything that useful for me. Though it does have few useful features for the mobile OS. I may try to edit the registry in case I see it's necessary. But definitely a good way for Microsoft to drive away more people from the platform.

Sent from mTalk

gjbcapital

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Does yours have this blackscreen when the phone is unloacked? Lockscreeen slides up and I can her the unloack sound but no display at all i.e blackscreen!!

I have this problem so I decided to roll back to AU. This and the problem with the maps app flickering are common issues on 535. Unfortunately instead of fixing the bugs they dropped support so I am not optimistic they are going to get fixed.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Decided today to sort of tough it out for the rest of the year. I have several contracts that end this fall, so ill just keep using my 1520 (on release preview after the slow ring CU update), my band 2, Xboxes, and W10 tablets and let all this sort it's self out until then.

I highly doubt i'll be buying any further Microsoft devices to replace any of the things though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte