Not that anyone really cares, but I fancy posting anyway..

I have been a Microsoft fan all my life and love Windows 10, and Windows 10 mobile. Got quite a few people to switch to Windows phones and had a number of devices myself.

When my contract ran out I was still happy with the 930 but needed a second phone for work, so kept the 930 and picked up an iPhone 6 for free. iOS felt old, boring, restricted, not much different to when I had an iphone 4 from new many years ago.

But after using it for a while I discovered quite a lot of things that I hadn't realised I'd been missing out on by using the OS that was always playing catch up. I now use the iphone as my main device but the 930 as my work phone, much to my disappointment because I would way prefer W10m. Every time I use my 930 I feel so disappointed that it can't be my main phone! But it's basically come down to 2 things:

1) Yes its obvious, but apps.. and I hardly use any, I literally have 11 installed apps on my iphone (in addition to the built in ones such as email and podcasting), but unfortunately the critical ones to me (besides WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook) are terrible/non existent for WM. Snapchat is one that's used by my social circle to arrange events more than WhatsApp and SMS/iMessage combined, I couldn't go without it now. Theres other apps that sometimes I just feel out of the loop because the latest stupid game or fad isn't ever going to be out for WM (boomerang for Instagram for example, or Pokemon go as another example, even though it's no longer on my iphone at least I could try it and have an opinion to share about it!). My bank has now dropped support (although their app was just a terrible web wrapper anyway). The list goes on. It's not the end of the world, but I'd rather use the OS that isn't as nice to use but stay in the social loop.

2) Apple CarPlay. I have been waiting for MS to do something awesome with Cortana to get her working in the car in some way or another for so long, hoping that there would be something cool that would be developed with continuum, I got so excited by the video that went around three years ago (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AuletNl_8 ) but in the end I have just given up. While siri is no where near as good as Cortana, having siri, sat nav and apple play work on my head unit while my phone charges is something I can no longer live without.

3) Ok I said two but the third one is tap to pay. While I didn't leave windows phone for this feature, now that I'm used to it I could not go without it.

So while Windows 10 mobile is superior in so many ways and I prefer it to Android and iOS by miles, it's so much nicer to use and better for work activities, emails, web browsing, office documents, onedrive, file management, there we are, there's my two/three reasons I have no choice but to use Apple for my daily.

If the app quality was better and the essential ones were not missing (or missing features) then I could put up without most apps other than Snapchat and banking. But Apple CarPlay is the biggest one for me. And no contactless payments too.

So I suppose, if the Windows 10 store picks up, and Microsoft decide to launch a surface phone running full Windows 10, if they figure out a way to rival CarPlay (that video demo looked amazing!), and if they can get contactless payments to work then I would go running back to a windows phone at the drop of a hat.

But for now, iOS is my daily, and Windows Phone just as a work phone used for phone calls and sometimes to send the odd email.
    04-17-2017 05:39 PM

I have been a Microsoft fan all my life and love Windows 10, and Windows 10 mobile. Got quite a few people to switch to Windows phones and had a number of devices myself.

When my contract ran out I was still happy with the 930 but needed a second phone for work, so kept the 930 and picked up an iPhone 6 for free. iOS felt old, boring, restricted, not much different to when I had an iphone 4 from new many years ago.

But after using it for a while I discovered quite a lot of things that I hadn't realised I'd been missing out on by using the OS that was always playing catch up. I now use the iphone as my main device but the 930 as my work phone, much to my disappointment because I would way prefer W10m. Every time I use my 930 I feel so disappointed that it can't be my main phone! But it's basically come down to 2 things:

1) Yes its obvious, but apps.. and I hardly use any, I literally have 11 installed apps on my iphone (in addition to the built in ones such as email and podcasting), but unfortunately the critical ones to me (besides WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook) are terrible/non existent for WM. Snapchat is one that's used by my social circle to arrange events more than WhatsApp and SMS/iMessage combined, I couldn't go without it now. Theres other apps that sometimes I just feel out of the loop because the latest stupid game or fad isn't ever going to be out for WM (boomerang for Instagram for example, or Pokemon go as another example, even though it's no longer on my iphone at least I could try it and have an opinion to share about it!). My bank has now dropped support (although their app was just a terrible web wrapper anyway). The list goes on. It's not the end of the world, but I'd rather use the OS that isn't as nice to use but stay in the social loop.

2) Apple CarPlay. I have been waiting for MS to do something awesome with Cortana to get her working in the car in some way or another for so long, hoping that there would be something cool that would be developed with continuum, I got so excited by the video that went around three years ago (link: ) but in the end I have just given up. While siri is no where near as good as Cortana, having siri, sat nav and apple play work on my head unit while my phone charges is something I can no longer live without.

3) Ok I said two but the third one is tap to pay. While I didn't leave windows phone for this feature, now that I'm used to it I could not go without it.

So while Windows 10 mobile is superior in so many ways and I prefer it to Android and iOS by miles, it's so much nicer to use and better for work activities, emails, web browsing, office documents, onedrive, file management, there we are, there's my two/three reasons I have no choice but to use Apple for my daily.

If the app quality was better and the essential ones were not missing (or missing features) then I could put up without most apps other than Snapchat and banking. But Apple CarPlay is the biggest one for me. And no contactless payments too.

So I suppose, if the Windows 10 store picks up, and Microsoft decide to launch a surface phone running full Windows 10, if they figure out a way to rival CarPlay (that video demo looked amazing!), and if they can get contactless payments to work then I would go running back to a windows phone at the drop of a hat.

But for now, iOS is my daily, and Windows Phone just as a work phone used for phone calls and sometimes to send the odd email.
    You're right, we don't.....jk.
    Honestly though, I don't understand why people feel the need to do this. It seems like you just copy and pasted one of the other 8000 similar posts and put your name on it. "I've been a Windows fan since...". "no apps". "I'll come back if".
    I do wish you the very best though.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    libra89 and editguy like this.
    04-17-2017 06:35 PM

2) Apple CarPlay. I have been waiting for MS to do something awesome with Cortana to get her working in the car in some way or another for so long, hoping that there would be something cool that would be developed with continuum, I got so excited by the video that went around three years ago (link: ) but in the end I have just given up. While siri is no where near as good as Cortana, having siri, sat nav and apple play work on my head unit while my phone charges is something I can no longer live without.

Watch out here co.e the haters... Well said by the way.

Sent from mTalk
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-17-2017 06:40 PM

But after using it for a while I discovered quite a lot of things that I hadn't realised I'd been missing out on by using the OS that was always playing catch up. I now use the iphone as my main device but the 930 as my work phone, much to my disappointment because I would way prefer W10m. Every time I use my 930 I feel so disappointed that it can't be my main phone!

<snip>
    I'm glad that you found what works for you. Sadly your phone is going to miss out on the Creator's Update.

Regardless what works best for each individual is the most important thing over everything.
    04-17-2017 07:15 PM
    8,000 similar posts and no-one cares? That's one hell of a straw-poll! Perhaps it also explains why so many users walk away from Windows Phone, I guess.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-18-2017 03:22 AM
    You're right, we don't.....jk.
    Honestly though, I don't understand why people feel the need to do this. It seems like you just copy and pasted one of the other 8000 similar posts and put your name on it. "I've been a Windows fan since...". "no apps". "I'll come back if".
    I do wish you the very best though.

There's alwAys this
    04-18-2017 04:24 AM
    Ewwww! Have you ever used an Iphone for more than a day? Nasty!

Oh, and please tell me how to attach a file (word doc, spreadsheet...) to an email.

If I were go switch I could see myself going with the new Huawei Mate 9. Nice phone!
    aximtreo and TgeekB like this.
    04-18-2017 02:54 PM
    8,000 similar posts and no-one cares? That's one hell of a straw-poll! Perhaps it also explains why so many users walk away from Windows Phone, I guess.
    Why should we care about ad nauseam posts? We've heard it over and over again, there's nothing new. It's not life and death. They've decided to switch to a different platform. If that's what they want and what works for them, then I wish them the best of luck. Would us caring keep them from walking away?
    TgeekB and Player Piano like this.
    04-18-2017 08:51 PM
    https://kerv.com/en/

Well good for you :)

It's news to me anyone over 18 uses snapchat. And I mean that, it's interesting to learn new things. Clearly adults have begun copying the teenagers as they tend to do.

BTW, you can get NFC contactless payment cards, including mini cards that you can stick to the back of your phone, and you can, as of this year, get contactless payment smart rings (you pre-load them with cash - NFC ring, and Kerv). So one doesn't really need that feature on a phone at all. Personally I reckon the ring is kinda cooler. You don't have to reach into your pocket.

I think a banking app is all I'd miss really, if I went to current windows 10 mobile. But I'd use a webpage probably. Not that I have ever used it, nor likely ever will, I'm waiting for windows on arm, Cortana bot intergration before I switch to windows for a mobile device.

If they had a watch so I didn't have to carry around a glass brick and could operate most of everything via voice, I think I'd be super sold. But I am expecting some real power in this department to be available next year. I'm waiting to move the other way. I'm like MS, I don't see current style of slabs, and their attendant small screen touch only apps, lasting that much longer. I see more voice, and more form convergence happening real soon.

But you know, if I was one of those people who used a swiss army knife of social apps all day, I'd probably feel the same as you. I don't even text that much, I probably email more often on my device. I check my social media 1 per day, like reading a magazine. Occasionally I meet someone who insists on WhatsApp, but honestly I find that a bit weird. If your going to avoid text for some weird reason just use messenger. everyone has it. Insisting on some niche platform just seems like someone demanding that I use blackberry messanger or something.

Actually I do use navigation in my car quite a bit. BB10's maps seems to be strides ahead on traffic prediction, and its sooo much quicker than google maps. Of course its a dead OS now :P I don't exactly use voice activation for it. I just set my destination before I start driving, and it calls out directions (so theirs no need to see the map).
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-18-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-18-2017 09:04 PM
    Why should we care about ad nauseam posts? We've heard it over and over again, there's nothing new. It's not life and death. They've decided to switch to a different platform. If that's what they want and what works for them, then I wish them the best of luck. Would us caring keep them from walking away?
    You apparently cared enough to come into this thread and post.
    mikepalma likes this.
    04-19-2017 03:04 PM
    It just gets old after a while. There is certainly nothing wrong with differing opinions but, since this is a Windows fan site, you would think the majority of posts would be questions and responses, helpful information, news about the OS, you know stuff like that. Instead its negativity, Windows phone is dead threads, and this. Its time to add a bit more positivity and helpfulness to the conversations. At least that's how I feel.

04-19-2017 04:02 PM
    It just gets old after a while. There is certainly nothing wrong with differing opinions but, since this is a Windows fan site, you would think the majority of posts would be questions and responses, helpful information, news about the OS, you know stuff like that. Instead its negativity, Windows phone is dead threads, and this. Its time to add a bit more positivity and helpfulness to the conversations. At least that's how I feel.

I reckon forums are a bit like reviews. People either give reviews because they love or hate something, they don't bother if they just found it good enough. So if you go to like IMDB, most movie reviews will be one or the other. Same with people on forums like this, you get the fans and the complainers. Bet you'd find the same on android central or similar.

It is unfortunate however people are so encouraging and supportive of hyperbolic negativity here atm. They make out like Microsoft itself is somehow flailing because it doesn't have a successful little glass slab.

Which is nonsense, MS has had quite the upturn since Nadella got in, and the new vision is attractive new young early tech adopters, creatives and business alike to the hardware, and ecosystem. Indeed, I don't think I can remember a time when Microsofts vision, follow through, or internal development has been so exciting.

Plus little pocket slabs are a limited lifetime affair. If that weren't true, everybody in the tech industry wouldn't be competiting for the next things.

These are competitive times, but competition brings out the absolute best in a company. Those at the absolute top, lack the hunger to drive them to make customers happy, and they tend to build walled gardens. I find current MS to be an inspiring model of tech business - a company that aspires not merely to success or innovation, but to a value - bringing useful software power to consumers, and being the best at doing so.

Honestly I've been in the past quite luke warm to the company. I've always used it, but I've never had this level of excitement about the companies future, nor faith in its direction. This negativity seems to be from people who live very much in last years tech innovations, who fail to see the big picture of technology, nor how tech has already changed over time.

You want a company who is hungry and visionary, like early apple. You don't want a company like mid success blackberry or IBM, who is fat and full of its own hubris. Any platform could be dead in the water in a few years, if replaced by something else, with support dropped like a brick. When the iPhone 1 was release, BB OS was king of the smartphone. IBM used to make PC desktops and CPUs. Now they are a software company primarily. Things change real quick.

And that's why I find MS new values re-assuring. This is a company with a future. I cannot actually say the same for apple. They are entirely invested in the iPhone 1 for profit, and have nothing much else to show at the moment, should the slab be superceeded. Maybe they have ideas up their sleeve, but Siri is also behind in the conversational game. And apple is the biggest profit tech company period, with a totally robust app platform. But so was nokia the king of its time. So was IBM the king of its time. And at one stage apple was the young hungry company, at one stage on the brink of liquidation, which nothing but big ideas, and a CEO, Jobs who said his strategy was nothing more than "wait for the next big thing".
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-19-2017 10:35 PM