Just got my lumia 950 xl, love WP 10! Why is WP having a hard time?

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from android to to Windows Mobile 10 with a nice Lumia 950 xl. I'm going to be blunt, I can't see why Windows phone is having any problems at all. The OS is great. Windows Mobile 10 is amazing. Easy, fast, feeling like Windows on my PC. I kinda can't see why its not doing so good. Now being that my last Windows phone was a dell venue pro witch was WP7, I have missed a lot. I don't know all the dark times. But as someone who I's coming fresh to the new current WP10. It owns. Great hand set. The switch coming from a galaxy s4 was very easy. I got basically everything my old phone had.

This kinda make me ask, why is WP having such troubled times, and has such a bad rap? Microsoft should be purring everything into this. Not trying do do a 3rd time WP reboot/reset. This OS is great, its got some much potential. If they really tried I could see them, one day, being 15% to 20% of the phone market possibly. Microsoft should be rolling out updates for this OS every week. Is Microsoft not trying or something? Everyone thinks this OS is dead witch is really sad.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. While it has the basics, many apps are missing or leaving. Depends on the individual, but W10M doesn't compensate for the missing functionality.

2. It's been treated as a hobby by MS. They tend to treat W10M as second-class. Nadella doesn't seem to believe in the value of having a solid mobile presence. Granted, it's an expensive and slow affair to claw marketshare.

3. At launch and for some time after, stability/reliability was poor compared to iOS and Android, a dramatic step back from WP8.1. (just wait a week or two of daily usage and you may know what I mean)

4. MS keeps removing features.

5. MS isn't adding features, MS is blocking older devices from the most recent update, hiding behind the "poor feedback" excuse. (despite the biggest differences being something like ebook support in Edge)

The whole project is spinning down.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanx and congratulations the 950XL looks to be a great phone.
Glad you like it.

WM failing is a pretty complex subject.
I recommend enjoying your XL and not worrying about what's to come.

Welcome to Windows on a phone!

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
As I thought MS is not putting this on the front of their list of things, its getting the back burner treatment. That really bothers me. Is there anything we can do about this to get MS to get their game going?? Thanks all.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
As I thought MS is not putting this on the front of their list of things, its getting the back burner treatment. That really bothers me. Is there anything we can do about this to get MS to get their game going?? Thanks all.

MS has a plan to make its platform viable for many years to come. Because of this, mobile isn't quite there yet. That doesn't mean they don't care, its dead, or they don't know what they're doing as some will have you believe. It means they're focused on their plan and it will come in due time. I don't think there's anything we can do to speed them up.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Not really, unless you want to buy up all the shares and otherwise try to replace Nadella with someone more Windows Mobile friendly. (see that thread about the process to fire Nadella, I don't have a link right now) Otherwise Nadella will stay as long as Microsoft appears to be doing alright, and it is doing alright. Mobile just doesn't quite fit in his plans I suppose.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I believe it's subjective. Like you, I have everything I need out of the app store. Apps are not a problem. Email is big for me and no issues there. Outlook mail is a beast of an email client. Windows UI is unique and I like it.

For some they just can't get past the apps. Others need explicit access to Google services. Others don't like certain details about the OS and can't get into it. Or yearn for some Android or iOS feature they had. The only mobile OS I use the least is Android. However I've owned windows phones since only 2014 to current. As of late though I have not sim swapped to different OS for about 3 months.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I like this OS a lot. It's fast. easy, looks nice, customizable. Instagram seems a little watered down, but that's no biggie as of now. The only problem I'm having is not being able to send and receive pictures and videos on text messages. Trying to get it working now. Started a thread on the 950 xl forum about it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...xting-me-new-950-xl-new-wp10.html#post3654620

Any help I would be very thankful for. I hope Microsoft start to work more on WP, fans want it, and it could really be something great if they bother to try.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not everybody needs a superphone. The OP's needs might be very limited (compared to some of us) so as to suffice with W10M. What the platform does offer is an unparalleled Outlook experience, Office apps with more functionality (formatting, etc.) than the rest and superb PIM handling. In his case, he has one of the best camera phones out there. What W10M offers is not nearly enough for me, but I'm a rare breed in that NONE of the major OSes offer everything I need. I have to mix and match to get it all. But for some, it's more than enough so it's not advantageous to any of us to bad-mouth the platform since it has enough problems without any added "encouragement".

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Not meaning to bad mouth the platform. I don't need a super phone. All I use to my phone for is to make calls, texting (pictures and videos included), check weather, mostly instagram as far as apps go, and just kinda a internet devise if needed. I check facebook via Edge. I'm a windows user and this phone has got everything I need and more, plus an amazing camera. I really like most of you want to see the OS grow and do better.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's a chicken and the egg situation, and not helped by very poor marketing from Msft.

When the 920/1020 came out, the hardware/camera innovations blew away the competition easily. But shops here weren't selling cos they told me "WPs are meant for business, Android for people just like you and me." The app situation wasn't good but this very community gave it a wide leeway and the negativity was definitely not as bad as it is now.

In the end, its just a phone. Enjoy your 950xl like I do mine.

The camera is brilliant...

... !!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well, the answer to these things is a fairly complex topic. MS was reasonably invested in mobile until it started to hemorrage in the marketplace. In places like Europe and Australia, they still have okay market share.

But ultimately, there is not much OS "room" on any marketplace. Take desktops for example, players have been trying to take that on for years. OSX is still relatively small, and a tiny part of apples profits.

What you need for a successful product is a real "MOAT". A moat means a thing your product has, that no one else has - something people want. Like with desktops, in mobile there have been a lot of contenders with samey products. Windows 10 Mobile, Android and iOS are relatively similar. There's simply no room in the market for another "me too".

MS has plans to resolve this. Leveraging windows cloud and windows on ARM into the tablet, hybrid and laptop markets to gain more marketshare in larger cellular connected devices. Which will increase mindshare and number of apps, if successful. It has a real "moat" there in terms of touch, stylus, ink, convertibility, and full desktop OS power. Ask anyone who's used a lot of tablets and laptops and tried some new convertibles - generally they'll have a soft spot for windows. Like on the desktop, it can do more. The product in way, speaks for itself, it's moat is self-evident.

MS is developing conversation as a platform with its Cortana bot intergration. This is essentially an "app" (with assistants these are called "skills") ecosystem, under Cortana. This would also be a moat if windows can get ahead in the emerging voice platform - a platform that will make touch apps more redundant. This intergration and the emergence of a great deal more Cortana "skills", is like cloud, very close; MS has told us.

If it can succeed in both these areas, we can see new forms of pocket cellular device, beyond mere touch slabs - convertibles, stylus empowered, voice driven, wearables - watches, clamshells, and all sorts. And then, these devices will be competitive - offering something better, being better.

But in general you can't just throw money at something to make it work. And keeping in mind, MS has less money than google or apple by several factors. Hence why as time goes on, it works more closely with partners. And why Samsung and MS are starting to look my schoolyard chums.

If you look at the windows store, you will see it themed "education" ahead of the announcement of windows cloud in may (well this does change day to day, but you'll find apps like complete anatomy, sketchable, flow charts, earth 3d etc have been given some spotlight over the last while). There is a serious weight of educational apps in the store if you look under the apps section - there is a lot. This is no happy accident, and has clearly been in the works for awhile. Like all its other market plays.

MS isn't resting on its laurels, it's just playing chess with all the market pieces, trying to get to where it can win again in pocket devices.

And it's not the only one who's looking for the next thing. If slab phones were the eternal be and end all of tech profit, amazon, Samsung, apple, google would not all be furiously also investing in future technologies as well. This is a game that never ends - MS hasn't given up on mobile, it's just planning another way in. If it had given up, there would be no new phones, and no updates as there are with BB10 blackberry devices.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The switch coming from a galaxy s4 was very easy. I got basically everything my old phone had.

If you're comparing a 17 month OLDER device that is no longer supported, then you look at the 950XL that is still receiving updates. It'd stand to reason you should have gotten everything your old phone had.

For some they just can't get past the apps.

It's not that we can't get past, if there is no other alternative including a browser one is simply left without. It's an issues that has become very real and concerning for many. Suppose that is where "individuality" comes into play, everyone's needs and usages differ, not a concern for you yet almost dire for me... Thankfully I've got the other platforms to take up the slack so we're covered there, if that wasn't the case we'd drop all our WPs like a hot potato, guaranteed.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Elky64 you are correct, individuality plays a big role in how one takes to or not so easily takes to using Windows 10 mobile. It is an enjoyable OS for anyone if they get the right device. However the apps are big sore for Microsoft right now, and they are hard at work trying to reverse that or clear it up. It's obvious they are trying but hard to see what moves are being made and what they mean. I read a report last night that market share actually went up in the last quarter, so we will have to see what happens in the coming weeks/months after CU goes live for all.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
POOR MARKETING!

With less than 1% of market share, no one know what WP is.

They really need to play up MS successes, like Skype. Explain Cortana. Explain their plan. ie. Your WP phone can work in with your car and home. And all other MS (and other devices and services).

No lay there quiet and then chase Android or Apple.

The design is beautiful. Live Tiles!

And it is a pretty solid performer. With the MS name, they should really have a bigger market share. I am amazed ...

Market to Seniors? They may not care so much for SnapChat, but big tiles that they can see....maybe...
Try a different demographic?

Mr. V

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3