MIcrosoft Maps On W10M...Performance?

Shawn Garvey1

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello, Forum! I've recently moved from Android to W10M and am truly enjoying my 950XL. One thing I rely on daily is navigation, and I'm a little frustrated at the performance of the Microsoft Maps app. When navigating, the graphics are very choppy as opposed to my experience with Google Maps or some 3rd party W10M apps like Sygic that are very fluid and smooth as the location icon moves through the map. Does anyone else experience MMaps this way, or am I missing some sort of setting that would improve the performance in this regard? I can certainly live with it, but I find it kind of distracting. First World problems, I know....any input or suggestions are welcome!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
last time I used a smooth map app on my phone was here maps, or nokia maps before that, silky smooth as the rest of wp7-8

now it seems smoothness is irrelevant to microsoft, but it runs as you would expect on pc(a shocker, I know), my bet is they make it for pc and dont bother optimizing for mobile other than sizing it correctly

oh and you never used waze I guess, man that thing reminds me of early symbian on touchscreen

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Rather smooth on my 730. Should be even smoother on 950.

I never complain about its smoothness, but the many severe bugs in the Maps app. Just give me back Here Maps....

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Maps on my 640 can't seem to find driving directions to most locations. Mostly out of state. I have downloaded my state map, so maybe that's why it works.

It's been doing this since 15063, and I'm now 15205.0. I have done a hard reset.

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@Shawn Garvey1 How do you mean choppy?

I know in some really obscure/remote areas I've been too, there seem to be map quality issues and you get drawing problems or it seems stuck for a moment while you're busting down a highway.

I do normally try to download the offline version on my phone.

I guess I'm not really sure what you mean because I don't usually look at the device while navigating, I listen for the audio cues and glance at the screen if I need a bit more clarification. I haven't noticed choppiness that affected me. Like all the zooms in and out and what not seem ok.

950XL user here

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Is your map support coming from phone data or downloaded maps?
Good question. I can't answer the OP because I don't ever look at the screen while driving. I leave the phone in my pocket and let it announce directions via blue-tooth.

I do keep the maps in the phone so it's possible there could be delays waiting for maps to update over data although that would be a really poor design if you were remaining on course. I mean it should pre-load at least enough to cover delays based on very recent data performance.

I assume the OP is using it for directions but if not, I suppose it would be harder for the app to pre-load the necessary area.

So regardless, keeping the maps in the phone might not help but can't hurt. Relying on data might hurt.

Plus if you don't have the maps in the phone, its harder to annoy the person sitting next to you in a plane by your phone constantly recalculating routes as the plane fails to follow any known roads. I do know that maps ignores altitude. It might say turn right at .... but never says descend x thousand feet and turn right at ....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody realize that Maps is actually Here? Go to maps settings (settings>system>offline maps) and you'll see the Here copyright next to Microsoft's.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've never used maps on an windows 10 mobile phone. It seems fluid on desktop/tablet.

But I'll say something completely unrelated - BB maps on my bb10 phone is fluid, the navigation is solid, the voice reader works well, the traffic calculation is perfect - When I am driving with someone who uses google maps, pretty much always end up using bb maps. Maybe its because of QNX and its high responsiveness (hence why its still used in car navigation systems I suppose). But its map app from a now defunct OS, that has never been ported to any other OS.

I'll miss it.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft Maps is not that good and unreliable. It seems the GPS is not functioning well. I miss Here. You should try Sygic, a paid app which is better.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have had a couple of issues with Maps lately.
First, while doing a 12 hour trip, I noticed it added a half hour on to the Estimated Time of Arrival. I realized it because the wifes iPhone regularly predicted a shorter time for anything over an hour. I compared vs google maps and sure enough google was a half hour shorter. During the trip, it held on to the half hour of extra time until roughly two hours from the end, when it started adjusting, and I arrived very nearly a half hour before the original ETA. It is doing this for every long trip now. Makes the ETA untrustworthy/worthless. :eck:
My second issue is that the map app is showing my icon off of the road, roughly 100 feet. It isn't recalculating everytime I am near a sidestreet, so the GPS doesn't think I am in the wrong place, but the display is off by roughly 100 feet. According to the display I am driving through houses and business and it is still happily tracking me along the route. :angry:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@SlideWRX Wow 12 hour trip! A lot can happen during that trip. Curious though, wouldn't you be happy to see that you ended up earlier than expected? For long trips, I'm just happy to not be late as anything can happen and focus on morning, lunch, dinner type of time frames rather than exact times.

The 2nd problem is probably a maps data issue. Curious, what city? Why don't you submit feedback to say the position is wrong? You can do that right in the app by "Suggest Change", "The map isn't accurate", move the marker right where your icon is and say it's wrong by 100ft

bprashant19

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
my maps were working fine before updating to creators update. for some reason now it feels as if the offline maps are taking a lot longer to load and even the text seems a bit odd

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
@SlideWRX Wow 12 hour trip! A lot can happen during that trip. Curious though, wouldn't you be happy to see that you ended up earlier than expected? For long trips, I'm just happy to not be late as anything can happen and focus on morning, lunch, dinner type of time frames rather than exact times.

The 2nd problem is probably a maps data issue. Curious, what city? Why don't you submit feedback to say the position is wrong? You can do that right in the app by "Suggest Change", "The map isn't accurate", move the marker right where your icon is and say it's wrong by 100ft

I'm not asking for it to read my mind about food or gas stops. On a 12 hour trip it isn't too bad, but on a 1 hour trip it is frustrating. It will still add a half hour to shorter trips. Plus, If every one else can make an accurate arrival time, why can't MS? it used to....

I did find a feedback comment about the map issues to upvote. I doubt it was a map data issue, unless they updated the maps with the wrong coordinates wholesale. This was on two different occasions in two different areas using the maps to guide me; I was off for the whole trip. This is on downloaded state maps.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Something annoying in the CU maps now (or at least that's when I noticed it) is the focusing and zooming when searching a location and plotting a route to it is all wrong. After asking for directions, the map zooms so far out that the route is just a little line, I need to manually zoom back in to see the whole route properly.

I did that today cause I was going to an unfamiliar area from where I normally travel to.

I forgot to take note about performance but other than above, once I hit go, I put the phone down and I don't notice any issues with performance, I hear the prompts and it's good for me. When I'm stopped, I take a glance at what's coming up and I didn't find anything to complain about for performance.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the CU update, Maps no longer gives me traffic info on driving directions. That's annoying and basically wipes out the usefulness of the app. Why would I use this for driving diretions without traffic info when I can just use Waze?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos