Galaxy S8 Running W10M -- what?!?!

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
See, my initial thought was:

What a great way to get a top-spec device out there that will have capability to push Windows ARM down the road. Let the fan-boys and other loyals try it out when it's released. Generate a healthy amount of conversation about it. All w/o having to go spend a crazy amount of money to try something that you're not even sure about.

Alas, my dream crushed! Damn internet rumors -- so cruel!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
To easy...
Kinda like the OP3 W10M rom rumors. To good to be true too. Even if Sammy made a W10M device. It would not be like the S8 IMO. Probably not even the same internals. That device is customized around their flavor of Android end to end...

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The whole world has witnessed what happened to nokia, I just can't see any reason why any company would want to release a Windows phone now.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I left my iPhone 4 for my first Windows phone: SAMSUNG ATIV S! It was awesome! Then moved up to the much more powerful ATIV SE. So good!. Very underrated and poorly marketed. Both great Windows phones in their day...would go back to Samsung in a heartbeat if they made another Windows phone (even though I'd miss the glance screen on my 950 XL...)

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I wish this would be true and Dan would be wrong about this but it is very unlikely for OEMs to jump on board having in mind how Microsoft are treating their own mobile platform, except if they know something that we do not, which is again very unlikely.

Perhaps this would be able to happen if Microsoft would openly tell us and the OEMs what are their goals for mobile, but I think we all know that they've been very secretive about it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
So say this rumor was true, even though it isn't. You really need to think about it. Most people who still like windows are not happy with the app situation. The s8 is a bleeding edge expensive phone. Do you see anyone paying that much money for a phone that doesn't even have proper maps anymore? Heck I have to memorize my routes now before leaving because I've had so many problems with windows maps lately I can't trust it.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
So say this rumor was true, even though it isn't. You really need to think about it. Most people who still like windows are not happy with the app situation. The s8 is a bleeding edge expensive phone. Do you see anyone paying that much money for a phone that doesn't even have proper maps anymore? Heck I have to memorize my routes now before leaving because I've had so many problems with windows maps lately I can't trust it.

I use MS Maps quite often and have not had an issue. What is yours doing??

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I use MS Maps quite often and have not had an issue. What is yours doing??

It was fine then they switched from here map data to their own. It doesn't know a lot of roads, doesn't route correctly nor re-route correctly. Keeps trying to get me to do u-turns when I defy the route and go a way I Know is fine. It will tell you to turn into places where no road exists. It doesn't find places correctly when a road differentiates between west and east....... It's not just me either my brother started complaining to me about how the maps started acting strange. He isn't a techie and I gave him my old lumia 830. This is not just me. If you go to reddit you will see massive complaints about the maps.

Likely highly dependent on where you live as well. I am in Canada.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It was fine then they switched from here map data to their own. It doesn't know a lot of roads, doesn't route correctly nor re-route correctly. Keeps trying to get me to do u-turns when I defy the route and go a way I Know is fine. It will tell you to turn into places where no road exists. It doesn't find places correctly when a road differentiates between west and east....... It's not just me either my brother started complaining to me about how the maps started acting strange. He isn't a techie and I gave him my old lumia 830. This is not just me. If you go to reddit you will see massive complaints about the maps.

Likely highly dependent on where you live as well. I am in Canada.

I thought MS Maps uses HERE for their maps?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I thought MS Maps uses HERE for their maps?

Their contract with them ran out and they decided their own data was good enough. They want their own data not rely on others. They probably created an AI that gathers road data and becomes better at it over time. MS is big on AI which means they need their AI to do everything to beat the other guys who have way more data.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Their contract with them ran out and they decided their own data was good enough. They want their own data not rely on others. They probably created an AI that gathers road data and becomes better at it over time. MS is big on AI which means they need their AI to do everything to beat the other guys who have way more data.

Wow, I didn't know that. In NY, I have had no issues with MS maps, but, I can see where in other places that could be an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3