Verizon customer with Lumia Icon. What do i do?

brettmilden

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
What are my choices to stay on Verizon network with a Windows phone with a great camera? My Icon is running 15063.138 but won't update unless I use Inop tools somehow? Questions:
1. Will new update April 25 update my Lumina Icon? (NO)
2. How to use Inop tools to change phone model?
2. Is Verizon updating radios later this year so a 950xl will work on their network?
3. DJI Drone software is iOS and Android only. Will we see a Windows app?
4. Wait for an announcement in near future from Microsoft? When?
Or do I finally give up and go to iPhone?

I have hung in with Windows Mobile as an Insider and have been happy. A dyed in wool Microsoft Supporter! But I am at the end as I now want a great camera (Icon was great) and be able to run DJI Drone software!

No need smart remarks please only known advice?
Thank you!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
just install interoptools already, all you have to do is change a single reg entry, PhoneModelName = 640 and thats it

or better yet, stop relying on a carrier, get a wifi box with whatever carrier works for you and use whatever devices you want on the go

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I am kind of in the same boat however I am on a L735. My contract ran out on Big Red a few months ago and kind of in limbo as to what to do next. I am leaning toward switching to AT&T and going with a 950 but not sure how long W10M will be around. I will probably hang tight for another month or two and wait for news out of MS before making a final decision.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
2. The 950 is not gonna work.

3. Unlikely but that's up to the developers.

4. I doubt it, I'd go iPhone or Google/BB at this point.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
If you really want to stay W10M, switch to AT&T and go Lumia 950. If you switch OS, I'd go Android, iOS is too restrictive, IMO. Samsung is nice, but laggy as heck after just a few months on the last two I had. I would go LG G6, if I were to switch today. I'm honestly very tempted to drop my 950 for one....

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Leave Verizon.
My wife and I tested out both AT&T and T-Mobile with no contract, month to month service. We found them both to be less expensive and there is no noticeable difference in signal strength nor availability.
We purchased outright the Lumia 950 and 950XL with leather Mozo replacement body shells. They are thin, great and beautiful phones and we are free of contracts and Verizon.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
In the same boat. I upgraded my Icon to the CU and it's running well, but I don't think the battery will last more than another 3+ months. Right now I'm leaning towards switching to AT&T and going with a 950XL.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Leave Verizon.
My wife and I tested out both AT&T and T-Mobile with no contract, month to month service. We found them both to be less expensive and there is no noticeable difference in signal strength nor availability.
We purchased outright the Lumia 950 and 950XL with leather Mozo replacement body shells. They are thin, great and beautiful phones and we are free of contracts and Verizon.

If only that were an option for me. Still using the Icon, since there is very spotty coverage around here for both AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon or US Cellular are about it in this area. Sure wish MS and Verizon were on speaking terms.

augustaville

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I am working with the same issue as the OP. My wife is still using her Icon on Verizon. I upgraded her phone to CU using the insider program. She is still very happy. I took a different path. Last August, I dropped Verizon when I picked up a 950XL and started using a Gophone plan for $55/month from AT&T. I do have some areas where the coverage is lacking from Verizon, but where I spend most of my time it works great. The only real dead area is at our cabin and I guess that gives me some added rest while I am there! My wife is usually with me and her phone works for emergencies.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Not seeing the update there.

I've read that you have to go to the Slow Ring first and then back to the RP after updating. Is this true?

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Not seeing the update there.

I've read that you have to go to the Slow Ring first and then back to the RP after updating. Is this true?

No. After a long delay, Creator is now coming in on unsupported devices too. Switch to release preview ring if you haven't done yet.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
No. After a long delay, Creator is now coming in on unsupported devices too. Switch to release preview ring if you haven't done yet.

I'm on the Release Preview. I've been on the RP ever since W10M came out. There is nothing new showing. I'm still on 1607.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the Release Preview. I've been on the RP ever since W10M came out. There is nothing new showing. I'm still on 1607.

I got the latest CU build, .251, from the RP today. But I was already on CU, .138, which I installed from the Slow Ring a couple weeks ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism