05-19-2017 11:42 PM
88 ... 234
tools
    Does Microsoft charge for iOS or Android apps?
    05-01-2017 09:46 PM
    It's done guys. Wishful thinking won't change anything. It's a phone world now, and there are two options. W10M was a miserable failure. MS has a responsibility to make $ for its shareholders, not resuscitate a loser.

Sent from mTalk
    There are slightly more phones than PCs, but people still have and buy PCs (last quarter saw growth, mostly in notebooks, and gaming PCs continue to grow). There are also tablets, and consoles and a variety of forms of computers. These are not direct competitor products, they are complimentary products, people generally own multiple devices in the home. And as technologies they are also tended to change form over time, not remain fixed in form and function forever.

I think if you actually factored in consoles, tablets and PCs you might find that phones make less than half of devices, but typically consoles are not counted. Indeed most OS surveys you hear about are wildly inaccurate due to being based on web browsing studies, not individual devices.

I think you could reasonably say "it's a world that's becoming more mobile", in terms of not just phones, but hybrids, notebooks, and portable gaming devices.

But it's not like stationary computers have suddenly become irrelevant, or stopped selling. They still offer vastly more power and storage, more powerful software development and superior input. That's not going to change long term either - do you think a dinky phone is going to be able to run neural networking machine learning software? Power high end immersive VR? Even if things become more cloud based, somewhere something with more beef is going to be serving it to us.
    05-01-2017 09:48 PM
    Does Microsoft charge for iOS or Android apps?
    From what I have seen, they generally don't.
    Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    05-01-2017 10:15 PM
    MS is a multi-billion dollar company that actually profits from mobile, and can leverage its successes in many other areas. And it's most certainly still developing mobile, and people are most certainly developing UWPs. Clearly, a unified platform benefits from the ability to run on all devices.

The sky is falling crowd could not be more obviously more distorting the reality.

I wouldn't say BB is a failure yet either, their licensing with TCL might finally get them back in the black.
    My point was that although Blackberry failed (since they are a hardware company at heart), it doesn't mean that MS will fail (as they're a software company at heart)
    05-02-2017 03:33 PM
    We have until the end of June and Windows Phone will be done.

Microsoft to Complete Windows Phone Wind-Down by June

It was fun while it lasted.
    Last edited by Eric Hamilton; 05-02-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: grammer mistake
    05-02-2017 11:05 PM
    We have until the end of June and Windows Phone will be done.

Microsoft to Complete Windows Phone Wind-Down by June

It was fun while it lasted.
    What will change? Nothing.

It's not like there has been or will be a new Lumia. Development and updates to the OS will still proceed, even if it does slows down and 3rd party OEMs are/will still produce devices.

Nothing new to see here. Move along. Certainly not worth making the same thread every 2 minutes.
    Allen Rhodes and libra89 like this.
    05-02-2017 11:12 PM
    Satya Nadella on future Windows phones: 'I'm sure we'll make more' | Windows Central

Worth posting this wide and far. MS is biding its time, like we have all been saying it is, like its obvious a multi-billion company would do. They don't just lie down and give up, duh....
    05-03-2017 05:30 AM
    This is very unfortunate but not surprising.
    I'm not sure why MSFT just doesn't sell the platform to Android for cheap and let them see what they can do with it if it is possible to merge the two technology's into one?
    I own a Zune media player and that device went the way of the Dodo bird as well. Big let down so now I own a worthless 950XL that will not have support and the eventual depletion of Apps. not that there were enough good ones in the 1st place.
    So glad I bought a new Dell 7280 and not the Surface Pro.
    05-18-2017 09:24 PM
    I dunno, I got a lot of use out of my almost 2 year old 950XL, and it's been getting better with age! :)
    GhostEchelon and Timbre70 like this.
    05-19-2017 12:09 AM
    I dunno, I got a lot of use out of my almost 2 year old 950XL, and it's been getting better with age! :)
    You got that right. :) I own a Lumia 950 even that one is kicking butt still and I've had mine since Nov of 2016
    Timbre70 likes this.
    05-19-2017 05:44 AM
    Not what I wanted for sure. But being on VZ I saw the writing on the wall. Well maybe. There is a chance they change things but I'm not banking on it. They will come around 5 years from now and say "oh well we should have stayed in the market even if taking a loss on it" and try a comeback. Only then people won't believe the sincerity because of the backout now. If you won't make a flagship device for your own platform does that encourage other vendors to do it? As others have said, nothing new in all this. Just not what I had hoped for but something I knew was possible and planned for.
    05-19-2017 07:24 AM
    What did not help was people hanging on to their 3 year old devices and not upgrading to the 950's.

Had everyone who had an old Lumia gone out and bought a 950 then the platform might be in a better state.
    Had MS released Win 10 Mobile and 950s without all the bugs many people probably would have bought them, but by the time they fixed many of the problems people got tired of waiting. MS has only themselves to blame for the state of the mobile operation.
    Jonnie LasVegas and xandros9 like this.
    05-19-2017 10:31 AM
    Apparently "what ifs" have more weight than facts. Truly sad state some minds sink to. Keep your old phone, or throw it away. MS doesn't care, nor should they. The future on any mobile device doesn't include a Lumia 930... give it a rest. No one owes you anything.
    05-19-2017 11:42 PM
88 ... 234