L950XL or L1520... You Decide!

Sean Burcham

May 16, 2016
Visit site
So...... I need a new phone. I have already narrowed down my choices to the L950XL or another L1520 (LOVE THIS PHONE). I know, I know.... other windows phones exist, but my extensive research has led me to the choice above. Now I am putting the decision in your hands. If you had to pick one of these two phones, which one would it be. I will wait 2 weeks, and then tally up the votes and let you guys know which one will hold the honorary place in my pocket.

Thanks for all your help! I look forward to seeing the outcome.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I carried a 1520.3 for a long time and picked up a 950XL for $284 from the MS store sale around Xmas time.

Neither is better than the other in all respects.

The 1520 battery life is at least double and I'm being charitable to the 950XL. The 1520 screen is bigger which I really wish the 950XL matched. But the 950XL is OLED so the blacks are noticeably blacker which I like. The 950XL has more cores but the 1520 has faster cores. More cores are better most of the time but not always. So the 1520 will install a Windows update faster, apparently that is predominantly single threaded. I hate SIM and SD trays, so the 950XL wins in that regard. I also dislike sealed cases, partially because they require trays but also because a battery replacement isn't a customer job. And in the case of the 950XL the removable cover can be replaced with beautiful Mozo backs in leather or wood. But if you use a protective case, that's pointless. The 950XL has more memory and more storage, always a plus. Some people hate the button layout and on screen navigation buttons but I happen to like both. The 950XL will almost certainly get Windows updates for longer. So for me I carry the 950XL for now. I just wish it was bigger and had more battery life.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I changed my 1520 for the 950XL because of the phantom touch issue, that seems completely random and caused by hardware bad grounding.
1520 pro:
-Big battery, especially if you stay with WP8.1
-Amazing display that don't turn green when see from an angle (it was really hard for me to accept that on the 950XL, 950 don't have this)
-Ceramic button (so premium compared to aluminium)

950 XL pro:
-No phantom touch issue!!!
-Good display with amazing black, but turn green when seen with angle, and there is a visible reverse ghosting when dark content slide on black screen. Not realy an issue, but still here. There is the same thing on some androids phone.
-Windows 10 runs great

Overall, I like the 950XL better than the 1520, I loved this one, but, it was a love/hate relationship cause of the phantom touch issue (when I wanted to slide, it was understood like a tap, really often, and sometime, it just go crazy for some sec).

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Have been a 1520 owner for close to three years now and have loved it and until now I still do. I plan to get a 950 XL around third quarter this year mainly because of its camera.

I'd go with a 950 XL

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would get a 950XL especially if you'll like to play with the camera and use Windows 10 Mobile. It would be supported for longer anyway.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I tend to occasionally use both. With the exception of the smaller size and bad button placement, the 950xl is preferred. Faster, runs WM10, NFC, better camera, removable battery, no SIM/SD tray, sharper screen (though slightly smaller than the 1520), and better sound.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720