When the Windows Mobile on ARM will released?

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that what you really meant was "when will windows 10 on ARM be released?" because windows mobile devices like lumias run on ARM chips.

Windows 10 devices that run on ARM chips will arrive this Fall in time for the holidays. Unlike Windows RT which also run on ARM but were confined to Windows Store apps, this newer iteration can run legacy apps via emulation.

Lower price points, Longer battery life, LTE capability, fanless designs, and still able to run legacy programs. These devices would be good for students.

Personally, until there's confirmation that windows 10 on ARM devices can run mixed reality headsets that are also coming this fall, I'll stick with Intel-based laptops or 2-in-1s.

There's also a rumor that HP will be releasing a lower-priced hololens competitor this fall. If that turns out to be true and the price is right, I'll ditch everything for that instead.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Windows on ARM will arrive for tablets, hybrids and notebooks late this year. There is no plan to bring the platform to windows smartphones at this point, and doing so is not on the cards this year, MS has said "mobile is not a priority" explicitly.

Mobile needs more apps. WoA on tablets will help achieve just that. Do not wait for WoA to come to phones (which need apps not win32s) as the pieces are not in place for that.

If you would be keep for a 6+ (Especially 7-10) inch tablet device with telephony/gps etc, then you are in luck however.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm guessing that what you really meant was "when will windows 10 on ARM be released?" because windows mobile devices like lumias run on ARM chips.

Windows 10 devices that run on ARM chips will arrive this Fall in time for the holidays. Unlike Windows RT which also run on ARM but were confined to Windows Store apps, this newer iteration can run legacy apps via emulation.

Lower price points, Longer battery life, LTE capability, fanless designs, and still able to run legacy programs. These devices would be good for students.

Personally, until there's confirmation that windows 10 on ARM devices can run mixed reality headsets that are also coming this fall, I'll stick with Intel-based laptops or 2-in-1s.

There's also a rumor that HP will be releasing a lower-priced hololens competitor this fall. If that turns out to be true and the price is right, I'll ditch everything for that instead.

Ooh nice. An augmented reality device at a cheaper price point would be VERY attractive.

scoots37

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
I think it should be possible for a Windows 10 on ARM pc to run Windows Mixed Reality headsets, since ARM processors are already running amazing virtual reality experiences on smartphones with crazy high resolutions. I also believe that the HoloLens in ARM based as well. We'll have to wait for devices to come though I guess.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think it should be possible for a Windows 10 on ARM pc to run Windows Mixed Reality headsets, since ARM processors are already running amazing virtual reality experiences on smartphones with crazy high resolutions. I also believe that the HoloLens in ARM based as well. We'll have to wait for devices to come though I guess.

While I doubt an ARM chip is going to be running anything like fallout 4, the high end chips should be capable of the minimum settings type of experience. Obviously if one is aiming for a great VR experience, a desktop or the project scorpio is the best bet. And no doubt a laptop with dedicated graphics will outgun anything based purely on SoC.

In that respect ARM is not a replacement to x64, more of an alternative.

I can't see why Intel based tablets couldn't also be produced with Intel LTE modems, and telephony, once ARM is released. If Intel could produce more of a "complete package" for tablets, that would help. Give MSFTs push for always connected, telephony devices, and Intels advantage when it comes to raw power, it would be kind foolish of them not to, make a tablet focused SoC that is more performant.

And its quite possible ARM will not be as cheap to buy, if Apple has its way in court.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I heard that Hololens which came out several years ago, runs on a cherry-trail 1.04Ghz Intel Atom x5-Z8100 64-bit CPU. http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-hololens-processor-storage-and-ram

Which is crazy. Even with the special HPU sause, how can a mere atom chip run the hololens? It just boggles the mind. So the question if ARM can run the upcoming mixed reality headsets is still up in the air. I'm waiting for more news about it.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ooh nice. An augmented reality device at a cheaper price point would be VERY attractive.

Yes, price is a very big factor in my buying decisions but I have standards to uphold :smile:. Case in point : I'm not going to buy an overpriced cardboard box, slap it on my face, name it AR and call it a day.

It has to be true AR with 6DoF. I want a hololens without taking a loan out. So I'm waiting for HP's or was it Lenovo's rumoured hololens competitor which is cheaper by several orders of magnitude.

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Any Expectation that Windows Mobile in ARM will be released or its just a hope !

Now I don't know how familiar you are with Windows an process architectures but as Kram Devil said and while it's true that Windows 10 on ARM is going to be mainly used in 2-in-1s and possibly cheaper laptops, it's not Windows Mobile. Windows 10 Mobile is a system mainly used for phone devices that already runs on ARM processors and cannot run Win32 apps.

It is expected that Windows 10 on ARM will come with the Fall's Creators update and according to articles from this website it's very very likely that we are going to see it so it's not just a speculation. Along with it we should expect to see several devices, likely the long-awaited Surface 4 (non-pro version).

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Only date I recall simply states 2nd half of 2017. I really hope it brings a Surface 4 with the release.

The Surface 3, with its Atom x7-Z8700 was weak running Win 10. I got rid of mine because of it. A Snapdragon 820 would have similar performace as the Atom but, as I understand it, running some kind of emulation for ARM? That being said, a Surface 4 announced this year would probaly have a Snapdragon 821 (If they go ARM with it) since MS likes to use old tech :). But...even if they manage an 835, I think it would still perform similar to the Surface 3's Atom.

I'd love a Surface 4 but they need to figure out how to fit an i5 in there without having it melt AND keep the price similar to the Surface 3.

DarrenHumphries

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
The video online of the MS guys showing off WIndows 10 (full, not S) on an ARM processor looked VERY promising to me. I like the idea...now for some execution.

However...if we can get Windows 10 on an ARM processor, why bother with Win S at all?

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited to see what the manufacturers come up with. I can see one of these replacing my iPad. The tablet market has become so stagnant. I mean I love the Surface Pro 4 but I also don't want to drop that price on something I only use when traveling or media consumption.

I hear Q4 is the estimated time frame for actual products but that seems like a long to away.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
The Surface 3, with its Atom x7-Z8700 was weak running Win 10. I got rid of mine because of it. A Snapdragon 820 would have similar performace as the Atom but, as I understand it, running some kind of emulation for ARM? That being said, a Surface 4 announced this year would probaly have a Snapdragon 821 (If they go ARM with it) since MS likes to use old tech :). But...even if they manage an 835, I think it would still perform similar to the Surface 3's Atom.

I'd love a Surface 4 but they need to figure out how to fit an i5 in there without having it melt AND keep the price similar to the Surface 3.

1. They won't be running it on 820 or 821 processors, they've said it's certainly going to be the 835.

2. Yes, it's emulating Win32 apps (made for x86 and x64 processors) so those can run on the ARM-based processors.

3. I don't think it's going to perform the same as Atom, because the 835's frequencies can go up to 2,45 GHz while an atom that I have in my 2-in-1 can't go past 1,44 GHz + it is probably going to consume less power and is going to be able to handle the LTE connectivity without any additional antennas.

The problem is that they can't simply put a 4 times more expensive processor + possibly come up with new cooling technology for the same price as simply putting a fanless processor in there and the point of the non-pro Surface line is that you don't get the "pro" experience of full Core i5 and Core i7 processors for it to be more affordable.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I heard that Hololens which came out several years ago, runs on a cherry-trail 1.04Ghz Intel Atom x5-Z8100 64-bit CPU. Microsoft HoloLens - Here are the full processor, storage and RAM specs | Windows Central

I believe that Intel CPU is just for apps, housekeeping etc. From the same article
"
Microsoft's custom coprocessor aka the HPU or Holographic Processing Unit is likely pulling some magic as it can reportedly process "terabytes" of information from all of the HoloLens sensors in real time.
"

Custom silicon can make magic :)
That Intel CPU could possibly be replaced with ARM, but not the HPU.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2