How and When to switch from my Lumia 830?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
So, I own a Lumia 830 and I'm wondering if I should move on to a new phone or not. The thing is I've been managing with it pretty well but the lack of activity from the likes of Google and Facebook has been rather annoying. Should I move on to an android or are there any potential chances of the app disability changing?

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you rely heavily on google and facebook, I think you may want to look elsewhere. I don't see them making huge efforts to get deeper into Windows, and especially not mobile. The fact that it will no longer get feature updates directly from Microsoft is also something to consider (You can get around this with a registry hack that has been documented elsewhere on this site though). That said, if you like the phone (and the 830 is a great phone), keep it.

Either way, best of luck to you. There are lots of great devices out now, and more coming out every month.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
The thing is, I love my phone. It hurts when I see the functionality of some apps limited. I have no issues with the Microsoft apps whatsoever but when I use Facebook or need a google app it annoys me when I realise that other phones don't have this issue.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you like it keep it. If the facebook deficiencies are too much for you then look at iphone or Android, either would have a more up to date facebook experience.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
An iPhone is expensive in India and an Android has so many models I don't know where to look. Ugh... Why couldn't Microsoft just do a better job?

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I still keep my Lumia for limited use. It does the basics now under CU. But most of my work I do with a iPad, wifi-tethered to the Lumia. An ipad mini is light and small, cheaper and better than an iPhone. Then you have all the Apps you need.

If you really want to have a phone only, you may switch to an Android. Lots of choice and not expensive.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
With windows s, calling developers already before release, over to the centennial bridge, and windows on arm on tablets late this year likely calling developers over the islandwood bridge, yes I see the app situation getting a lot better.

MSFTs strategy here though is a long play, and it does not revolve just around mobile, but on getting developers and users over to a new way of thinking. I think next year will be a great year for the windows store - those centennials will be slowly porting over to full UWP, and the islandwoods will be heading straight there.

You still won't be the primary consumer of those apps, but you'll get the trickledown. Same with timeline, and Cortana skills - you wont be the primary consumer, but you'll get a better experience than people on other platforms.

Thing is, this is not an overnight scenario, and while I am sure it will draw developers to full UWP, and improve the mobile app situation, we don't really know how many devs, or how quickly this will all happen.

Depends in part, on the success of the two new platforms, and how many users buy into those. But for say, googles part, I actually don't see them holding out forever. They could lose search users, their primary income long term via windows s, and current service users for other services via windows on arm. If apple is smart enough to see this with iTunes, google, if they have any sense, shouldn't hold out forever.

AND on the other hand MSFT is increasing its compatibility and services with ios and android. Neither will be perfect in terms of windows or service compatibility but they will still be good.

I'd be asking ...do I need anything else? Is there something I want, or need to do, that's missing?

I've used my current phone for quite a while, and its serious out of date, but I have reasons to update it to a windows 10 mobile - I want Cortana skills intergration when that's baked (I'd like to eventually use voice as often as touch), I want maximum interopability with PC, I'd like a nicer screen experience (OLED).

When I make purchases I tend to do my research, pick the best option, go through all the fun of purchasing and then sit on it - do I really need this? Will I really get something from it?

Just as often the answer is no.

If your after a modern but affordable android phone - Xiaomi and Lenovo are good options. You can pick up models with 2gb+, from last few years that are decently fluid, have a good screen etc. Both can be easily picked up online.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
@Drael646464

I get that you're a Windows fan. Totally understandable. I've been using Windows and MS products for decades.

However, the downside is that Microsoft is on the back foot when it comes to mobile and when it comes to tablets, unless it's a 2 in 1, it's not doing that great either. No one thinks, tablet = Microsoft.

Windows 10S will only succeed if, and only if, they advertise it right and people buy into it. Developers are only keen on anything if it's profitable for them. They're not shy to pull apps as we've seen.

I don't trust anything any developer says. There's been tonnes of developers in the past looking keen then dropping Windows Phone apps or giving up on them due to lack of interest.

You talk about future, but most consumers can't be bothered if they already have what they need. At this moment in time, I don't see the mobile scene changing much. It's nice to talk about what's next but simple reality is, this is it, probably for some time. However depressing that sounds.

Samsung brought out DEX and apparently it's very good. So competition is already here for Continuum.

We know already that Microsoft can make a fantastic OS, fluid and different and still tank. Just look at Windows Phone. So they have a mountain to climb. To impress consumers is difficult. Which is why I believe they retreated to their trusted enterprise and software market.

I've heard the phrase for years now that Microsoft is playing the 'long game'. That's fine, but to do so you need to maintain a market otherwise people forget about you... unless that's their plan.

That's my two cents. No need to reply as I'm sure you have a long reply which I probably won't read.

@OP. There's lots of low to mid range Androids these days that work great. The scene has changed a lot for Android and you can get a great phone for a low price. You'll also get the most important thing, apps. Lots of them. Just be smart and safe and use reputable app stores. Android in this way is very much like Windows on PC.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
@Drael646464

and when it comes to tablets, unless it's a 2 in 1, it's not doing that great either. No one thinks, tablet = Microsoft.

Feel free to not read it, the forum is for everyone after all.

Windows tablets are the strongest growing sector of tablets, while the market as a whole has been shrinking (including Samsung and apple). I work in tablets, as a market, and I watch the markets very closely.

I don't think I'd describe MS as 'on the back foot in tablets', more like pressing the charge.

I think the tablet market though has struggled too much with imitation. They need some leadership. 8.9 is a far better size for windows than 8 (without a stylus). And 9.7 shouldn't be avoided either (which windows OEMs seem to have, despite its popularity). Nor should something under nine inches come without LTE - and that size, a lot of people are interested for the mobility.

Smartphones yeah, they have a less than 1% marketshare, and a 1-2.5% installed userbase (actual users). It's definitely not as good as it was, and those people who have windows phones aren't upgrading.

Fortunately for MSFT, their medium term market strategy doesn't rely on smartphone marketshare. Its all centred on tablets, hybrids and notebooks - areas where they have either dominance or momentum. (Although really I should not be excluding gaming, vr and the console, because those are also big markets that will play in to the UWP bid)

Only two years in, and UWP, its pretty nascent as a first to market hybrid OS platform. There's a lot to unfold yet, in realistic terms, UWP is young, it hasn't had much time to grow. For the timespan, its doing very well, especially considering how resistant people are to change.

When apple hit its wall in desktop it didn't double down on macs, it stripped back expenses, and developed. It played it's strengths and innovated, using a persistant vision. That's what I see with modern MS (Was never really a fan of balmers choices)

Any consumer then might have thought that was it for apple on the desktop. Dead, done.
They were 90 days from being bankrupt:

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/06/02/steve-jobs-90-days/

But not so, now they have 11% marketshare.

Leaders tend to think very differently from followers. They take risk and deal in potentialities and future, enjoy the challenge - they believe in their core abilities.

Followers stick with what they know, until they see their leader consumer friends and peers doing better with something else (early tech adopters). They live their lives in doubt, trading in comfort and familiarity, living in the present and past.

Yes I am a fan of MS, but I am watching this really more from a business strategy POV. It's kinda beautiful to see MSFT attempt to leverage its core business strengths against the problem's related to being first to market with a hybrid OS, in a long play towards expansion into other markets.

The unknown variable is really what apple etc is cooking up - because apple are cooking up some new things, in secret related to AR, and machine learning. All they really need to do apple, to stay relevant, is be relevant (not just on smartphones which is a cash cow that is about to start declining in value). Google also has its own hybrid OS in the works, fuschia.

It's fun and interesting to see these tech companies compete.

So much too depends on MS being able to maintain its new consumer image with things like surface and xbox. To retain a sense of cool. That's a damned good reason for not releasing a phone until its competitive, and even innovative. MS will need to distance itself from mobile, such that when it re-enters the market, it will be seen as distinct from its prior failures.

It's not a guaranteed market winner in smartphones by any measure, MS's long play here, but UWP is the future of the windows platform in general - the platform will die or thrive on it, and I'd happily place money on the growth of UWP in the windows store over the next year or so with these two new OSes. They will have an impact.

The degree depends what the competition might release in that time. Nobody can know the future, all we can do is have educated guesses.

Moreover, smartphones are just not going to be as important as they are now. The predictable and established market trends of tech play in here- saturation is here/nigh. Premium devices will fall in sales. Price point competition will emerge, budget devices. The market will diversify, and in that players like apple will lose big time. Google still wins from this, because they don't care how thin the margins are for OEMs, only that their customers are being pumped full of ads.
Which may be why Microsoft and Apple both seem to have that hunger for something new, to see what's around the corner, but google seems to be somewhat just coasting along, quietly refining what they have already.

*Continuum is pretty much a very niche product. Until it provides a cheap, accessible genuine alternative to the desktop, or a media player, or anything consumers want, its not pushing units. Everyday people don't dream of writing blogs in hotels using their phone. They'd need both DeX and Continuum to be a lot better, a lot cheaper, and be marketed every day benefits. At this stage its for enterprise users only, and not even many of them. Device redundancy and convergence is certainly a thing, but I think many people here overstate is commercial importance - when its really really good, and decently affordable it might be seen as 'a bonus' for some every day consumers. Convergence of devices is something that will occur very slowly, device catergory by device catergory, and dependant on technologies like processing power, network speeds. Higher load techs will also make more demands of static machines in processing power - the AR/VR revolution for example will not drive phone sales, it will most likely drive consoles that also act as PCs- elegant no-setup, all in one VR solutions with maximum graphics power - when people try their friends such VR experience, if its affordable, they will also want one. Also when the HoloLens tech comes down in price, becomes lighter I see that replacing a lot of existing tech, phones included, for some people - no need for smartphone, tablet, computer, or TV screens if they all come packed in your glasses.

Last edited:

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I feel you bruh. I'm currently using a Lumia 950 that I won from a giveaway in this very site, but I still do miss my 830. Having said that, I do have to advise you to get yourself an Android phone, basing from what I read from you above. I recommend checking out XiaoMi phones since those are insanely cheap for the powerful specs you're getting. Something from the MiNote lineup of theirs should be good enough to replace the 830. A few of my family members use them, and tbh, it's really good for the price, especially the battery life. I think my brother's got a MiNote5 IIRC, and his phone got about 3800mAh? That's really a lot for a 5" phone, with a mere FHD screen.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
The thing is, I love my phone. It hurts when I see the functionality of some apps limited. I have no issues with the Microsoft apps whatsoever but when I use Facebook or need a google app it annoys me when I realise that other phones don't have this issue.

It's easy to blame Google for not providing apps (which we should) but realistically they won't bring their apps to W10M for some time, if ever. I still use my 830 as a backup phone but left it on 8.1 for which support ends next month so have a feel for the phone but can't answer questions specific to running W10M on it.

However, if you've got the Anniversary update then you've probably got around a year of support i.e. security updates, not feature updates - take a look at the original W10 release, that just hit end of life despite both 1603 (March update), 1607 (Anniversary update) and 1703 (Creators update) having replaced it. Therefore I'd say that you've got time to decide so there's not need to rush to a decision.

I can only suggest the Android route as iOS simply isn't as flexible - as much as I like the ipod touch I bought 3 months ago to experiment with, definitely don't think it's the best option for Windows phone users, my experience of Android as a daily driver from 2010 still makes me think it's the better option. Maybe the Nokia 6 when it's released as feature-wise it's probably in the same ballpark as the 830

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I have the latest updates on my 830 though. Probably why I'm not cribbing about the OS much. Yeah, as someone said a Lenovo or Xiaomi seems the best way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers