Does sideloading on windows 10 actually work?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've tried this with a few apps. Discountinued apps, or non-store apps. appx, xap, or appxbundle, and none of them worked. They seemed to install (obviously with sideloading on) but they wouldn't run.

Has anyone actually installed something this way and had it work on windows 10 mobile? Where is a good place to get such apps (like discontinued) that actually work?

Am I doing something wrong?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've tried this with a few apps. Discountinued apps, or non-store apps. appx, xap, or appxbundle, and none of them worked. They seemed to install (obviously with sideloading on) but they wouldn't run.

Has anyone actually installed something this way and had it work on windows 10 mobile? Where is a good place to get such apps (like discontinued) that actually work?

Am I doing something wrong?

I've not got a lot of experience of sideloading apps but most of the ones I have tried worked fine on my 950xl like the old Microsoft Facebook app and the old Lumia Camera app. Been trying like crazy to get the Lumia Refocus App to sideload too and that just always fails but likely because it's not compatible with W10m phones

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've not got a lot of experience of sideloading apps but most of the ones I have tried worked fine on my 950xl like the old Microsoft Facebook app and the old Lumia Camera app. Been trying like crazy to get the Lumia Refocus App to sideload too and that just always fails but likely because it's not compatible with W10m phones

Hmm, where did you get your old Lumia camera app or your facebook app?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
In fact I am not even sure how to install xap on window 10 mobile. Seems like those don't run from file explorer. And in device tools it says you can't deploy them

Starboy21

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
For xap u cud use 8.1 sdk and deploy with power tools while for appx n appxbundle file explorer installs them or u cud do it with wifi with help of device portal and as for some apps not working might be they r paid apps so device cud check with the store about the purchase n if u havnt bought them then the app may crash on start * thats wat i think *
And for downloading appx n xaps u cud try appx4fun.com

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Okay, I've not found one of those that work yet, but that's still nice to share that link with me :)

Thing I am confused about is how to install xap on windows 10 m? Can't open in file explorer, won't run. And can't use device portal as that also only uses appx. Windows 8.1 deployment tool doesn't work either.

So how are you getting Lumia camera or Microsoft facebook to work?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
For xap u cud use 8.1 sdk and deploy with power tools while for appx n appxbundle file explorer installs them or u cud do it with wifi with help of device portal and as for some apps not working might be they r paid apps so device cud check with the store about the purchase n if u havnt bought them then the app may crash on start * thats wat i think *
And for downloading appx n xaps u cud try appx4fun.com

I tried using some kinda third party deployment tool, but I'll play around with 8.1 deployment tool methods.

Haven't really tried appx much. I might try a free app from appx4fun to see if that works though. Seeing ANY kind of sideloading work would be positive :p

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Used deployment tools. Installed 8.1 SDK.
Enabled development mode.

Windows Phone Application Deployment returned "0x89731B01" error after some passed time when I tried to deploy to my 950.

Starboy21

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Were u trying to deploy xaps from appx4fun if yes then store puts some kind of protection on it n u cannot deploy the xap with the sdk u will need a xap which doesnt hav this protection..hope this helps n keep trying...

Starboy21

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Appx4fun gives xaps coz in 8.1 u had a option to install xaps locally frm store but in wm 10 there is no such option if u look some more in appx4fun u wud find some appx which u can directly install to ur phone with file explorer..

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Appx4fun gives xaps coz in 8.1 u had a option to install xaps locally frm store but in wm 10 there is no such option if u look some more in appx4fun u wud find some appx which u can directly install to ur phone with file explorer..

I'm only really interested in xap, as those are the ones that are abandonware. There's the odd good app or game that you can't get any more. I don't think the deployment tool failing and giving an error is any kind of protection.

When I look it up, developers say they needed to upgrade their visual studio to make it work. Lord, maybe I'd need visual studio. At this point, doesn't seem worth the bother.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm only really interested in xap, as those are the ones that are abandonware. There's the odd good app or game that you can't get any more. I don't think the deployment tool failing and giving an error is any kind of protection.

When I look it up, developers say they needed to upgrade their visual studio to make it work. Lord, maybe I'd need visual studio. At this point, doesn't seem worth the bother.

The deployment tool is failing because of the built in protection. The apps wont deploy because you don't own them. You have to find hacked XAP files with the protection disabled. APPX4FUN will not have anything for you unless you already own the apps.

Just google (or Bing) to find the ones you are looking for.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The deployment tool is failing because of the built in protection. The apps wont deploy because you don't own them. You have to find hacked XAP files with the protection disabled. APPX4FUN will not have anything for you unless you already own the apps.

Just google (or Bing) to find the ones you are looking for.

I'm not looking to install games or apps that are in the windows store, I'm looking to install discontinued ones. As such, they are impossible to own.

Also it wouldn't matter whether they were hacked (which I have also tried), the deployment tool (not the app), is given an error that developers seem to have had under visual basic.

I don't believe it has anything to do with "protection" myself. If you google the error code I mentioned, you'll find absolutely nothing about licensing, or the windows store.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not looking to install games or apps that are in the windows store, I'm looking to install discontinued ones. As such, they are impossible to own.

Also it wouldn't matter whether they were hacked (which I have also tried), the deployment tool (not the app), is given an error that developers seem to have had under visual basic.

I don't believe it has anything to do with "protection" myself. If you google the error code I mentioned, you'll find absolutely nothing about licensing, or the windows store.

I have installed many of them on my phone, I'm telling you what the problem is.

The deployment tool wont deploy store apps that are not hacked to have the protection removed (even store apps that are no longer in the store). If you don't agree and want to keep spinning your wheels, please do lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3