Microsoft owes us that have stuck with them since Windows Phone 7 and even beyond!!!

kr33m0

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Like most of you on this site I have become frustrated with MS. I have been a part of their ecosystem since Windows Mobile 5.0 on the HTC Dash. Just when I was about to jump to Android, MS rolled out WP7. I stuck with them. Then after the WP7 upgrades (7.5 & 7.8) all through to 8 & 8.1, which meant more new hardware. I stuck with them. Then there was another shift to WM10. I stuck with them. MS was in a good place. The Surface brand, Windows 10, Xbox and Hololens had made MS an exciting and cool company once again! During this time I would convince anyone who would listen to get a Windows product (especially phone), but now that is not the case. And it has been that way for at least almost two years.

I am in it pretty deep! Everything is Windows - SP4 that is less than a year old, but freezes randomly, DV8P still chugging along, Lenovo Idea PC Stick (RIP), Band 2 - nuff said, Lumia 925 w/ 8.1, Lumia 640 w/ WM10 IP, and Idol 4S IP. Lately, I have been looking at my options meaning which Android hardware am I going with. I am still fighting Apple although everyone in my family has an iPhone.

It seems, at times, the writers on this site struggle with content compared to a couple of years ago. So many similar articles about best PCs or the surface phone keeps popping up. I cannot recall being super excited about an article in a while. Not 100% writers fault, MS just has not been exciting lately.

Jumping off my soap box now and getting back to the subject at hand. There are many of us who have been in this deep for as long/longer than I have. If there is a Surface Mobile device somewhere on the horizon, then MS should do what Samsung did for the Note 7 owners - hand out heavy discounts to those who stuck with them since WP7 and prior! Is that too much to ask?

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Like most of you on this site I have become frustrated with MS. I have been a part of their ecosystem since Windows Mobile 5.0 on the HTC Dash. Just when I was about to jump to Android, MS rolled out WP7. I stuck with them. Then after the WP7 upgrades (7.5 & 7.8) all through to 8 & 8.1, which meant more new hardware. I stuck with them. Then there was another shift to WM10. I stuck with them. MS was in a good place. The Surface brand, Windows 10, Xbox and Hololens had made MS an exciting and cool company once again! During this time I would convince anyone who would listen to get a Windows product (especially phone), but now that is not the case. And it has been that way for at least almost two years.

I am in it pretty deep! Everything is Windows - SP4 that is less than a year old, but freezes randomly, DV8P still chugging along, Lenovo Idea PC Stick (RIP), Band 2 - nuff said, Lumia 925 w/ 8.1, Lumia 640 w/ WM10 IP, and Idol 4S IP. Lately, I have been looking at my options meaning which Android hardware am I going with. I am still fighting Apple although everyone in my family has an iPhone.

It seems, at times, the writers on this site struggle with content compared to a couple of years ago. So many similar articles about best PCs or the surface phone keeps popping up. I cannot recall being super excited about an article in a while. Not 100% writers fault, MS just has not been exciting lately.

Jumping off my soap box now and getting back to the subject at hand. There are many of us who have been in this deep for as long/longer than I have. If there is a Surface Mobile device somewhere on the horizon, then MS should do what Samsung did for the Note 7 owners - hand out heavy discounts to those who stuck with them since WP7 and prior! Is that too much to ask?

Still waiting for Microsoft to compensate me for my RT tablet. :). Any company that could come up with something as crazy as Windows RT demonstrated it was completely lost in the mobile world. I bought an RT for $99 at TechEd , at the time the same model was selling for over $700 as the MS store. After playing with it for awhile I found it was probably ok for $99. Anyone who paid close to retail should be furious at MS.

I had a Windows 6.5 phone. I could not believe all the people who bought WP7 phones knowing that they would not be upgradable to WP8.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Is that too much to ask?

Possibly - as an example, there have been some companies that stopped producing iconic products just because they cannot do it anymore or times have changed

MS or any other company does not owe anyone for using their products since consumers make their own decisions - if you went for product A and now you don't want to, that's your choice. Whether the choice came about because of your reasons or because of changes in the experience, it doesn't matter so much

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't owe you anything.

They've bent over backwards to try to make this work for years. Any other company, even one with as deep of pockets, would have cut their losses long ago.

You knew what you were getting into each time you decided to stick it out. I did too.

Get a new Samsung, or something that runs stock Android like Pixel or Essential.

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I could not believe all the people who bought WP7 phones knowing that they would not be upgradable to WP8.

Does that include very many people? Through most of the WP7 sales period, it was not known that Windows Phone 8 was going not going to include an upgrade path for WP7 hardware.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Still waiting for Microsoft to compensate me for my RT tablet. :). Any company that could come up with something as crazy as Windows RT demonstrated it was completely lost in the mobile world. I bought an RT for $99 at TechEd , at the time the same model was selling for over $700 as the MS store. After playing with it for awhile I found it was probably ok for $99. Anyone who paid close to retail should be furious at MS.

I had a Windows 6.5 phone. I could not believe all the people who bought WP7 phones knowing that they would not be upgradable to WP8.

what are you talking about? Windows RT was awesome, it was 90% windows and I could do all sorts of cool things with it and enjoyed it immensely, it was people like you who thought it would run full windows and then find out you can't run legacy apps... :eck: probably MS didn't help by not advertising ANYTHING about RT and what people were getting into. naw man I had some good times with my RT and STILL use it sometimes to this day! go look at some vids on YouTube from sean Ong and what the RT was capable of.. seriously kicks the ipads a$$. the ONLY thing that bothered me about RT is that apps couldn't run in the background when it was asleep.. that's it.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Samsung owes people because their phone literally burned. Who here is over 35yrs old, bet they dont think they are owed anything. Weird.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Through most of the WP7 sales period, it was not known that Windows Phone 8 was going not going to include an upgrade path for WP7 hardware.

Oh man, I got my 710 not too long ago when I learned there will be WP8 coming soon and my phone is not supported. I didn't even get 7.8 from T-mobile

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
They owe us clear statement about their mobile strategy, so we all see if it's still worth staying.

Personally, I am very loyal, but since my Lumia950 is close to end of it's life and there is no Win10 Mobile device to choose from I am close to buy new iPhone8.

Still hope we will see Surface Phone reveal in next few months, otherwise bye bye MS.

King Nerd III

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site

Logically, I don't think they owe us anything. As consumers we have not been forced to buy their products. HOWEVER, personally (and rather subjectively) I'm depressed about the state of Windows Phones and I want to be given something I can actually use so that the past 7 years of my life have not been wasted on Windows Phones. Think of it, the only smartphone I have ever owned is a Windows Phone. I get anxious with major change and as such I don't think I can move platforms... I just want a Surface Phone so I can stay with Windows Phone (or whatever it will be called)... I want to see Microsoft making an effort when it comes to mobile. :cry:

If anything, I feel like what they owe us is making any effort they can to get back into mobile.

spaceOpia1

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, they should reward at least those who still have an active Windows Mobile 10 device when the new product releases. A credit for the value of the actual phone would not be exaggerated.

nolongerawindowsfan

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

Clearly Nadella does not care about hardware .... anyone still holding hope let it go .... MS has been shifting its resources to a cloud based strategy....if you need proof of this just follow the money. Microsoft has put more resources in its server system than any other division. Nadella ruined Microsoft and got a pat on the back for it. For any one holding hope for a Surface Phone .....FORGET IT!!! Even if they came out with one the MS ecosystem is destroyed. Take my advice and grab the new note 8. I used to be a windows fan .. now I have no loyalty to any company, I just gravitate to whoever offers the best services and hardware. I am also an Xbox owner and I pre-ordered the Xbox One X Scorpio Edition.... I am fearful for Xbox as well... From the comments made by senior execs at Xbox I beleive they are shifting Xbox to a service ... and if that happens then bye bye xbox. Its point blank clear NADELLA NEEDS TO GO!!!! BRING BACK BALLMER OR BILL GATES!!!

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Unless something dramatic happens in the next few months, I will be getting either a new iPhone or Android phone. Not excited to get either, but I am looking forward to having the apps that I do not have now.

Hoangboy

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

yes, absolutely.

They promise, and break their promise, again and again, they owe us

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Been on windows phone since WP7 (Samsung focus). It's now getting to the point that I am losing apps that really use (wells fargo banking app being one of the recent ones), and I'm missing out on features that other platforms have (night mode, being one of them).

I've stuck with it because of the MS ecosystem, and the UI of the operating system. It's just pleasing to use. I've got an iPhone 6s for work that I could use as my primary phone if I wanted to, but have had zero desire to switch my personal number over so far and be on one device. I will say this about iphones: their standby time is incredible (because I rarely use it).

The only thing I want from them at this point is a definitive statement of what their plans are with phones, even if their phone aspirations are dead, I want to know. If they are working on full windows 10 with a phone component to it, I want to know. They don't need to reveal what kind of device they are going to have it on, they don't need to reveal details about it more than just letting us know that there is stuff in the works.

I'm looking to make the jump to Android at this point until a Surface Phone-like device comes out. As soon as that happens, I'm switching back.

Last edited:

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they owe me anything. I have chosen to end the abusive relationship about 2 years ago, though, but have endured it for too many years.

This is I think a pretty good analogy. I don't think any of us were forced to stay in the relationship, but it was a choice. It was liberating to move on to iOS for me; I kid you not. OMG, it's full of apps!