Taskbar and background disappear

Dan Barnes

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I have been experiencing this problem for a little while now, my background goes a muted green color and I lose my taskbar, system tray, and background.. everything, and I can not get it back without rebooting or signing out, and then back in. My open windows stay but get stacked directly on top of each other in the bottom left corner. It rarely does this when left sitting on the desktop but, all browsers I have, Chrome, Opera, Mozilla, IE, and Spartan, all do this to me. Sometimes it happens when I open them, usually after either 45 minutes to an hour is the norm, only 1 in 20 times using my pc do I get treated to no problems. Nothing in particular seems to be the culprit, whether it is just text pages, flash, java, it just happens randomly.

I have only had the problem in 3D games and apps like 3D Vision Photo Viewer, Starcraft 2, Plague inc, or The Evil Within. The only games however that work just fine is Diablo 3, Battlefield 4. However Starcraft 2 is the only game that just will not work anymore, it hangs after I try to go somewhere from the main menu. Any of the Windows Store apps seem to be 50/50 with breaking my desktop. I have ran everything in compatibility, as administrator, reinstalled, reinstalled all DirectX, runtime, and dll's my games may have needed, no help.

This is starting to get very annoying indeed, as I can not trust my computer anymore. The first 2 times this happened to me I had spent almost 4 hours in DEV C++, lost everything I worked on, it just erased everything leaving me with a blank canvas, but that is my fault for not saving regularly. I also use to let my friend use my computer for school work, and when he went to save something in either PREZI, or MyItLab, any browser used, closed and re-opened, making him lose all of his work. No happy campers here...

I had no issues prior to 10049, 9926 was flawless for me. So, these are my only problems with the tech previews, and only on build 10049.

Any insight, ideas, or help is much appreciated.

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3
AMD Phenom 2 955 quad oc'ed to 3.81 ghz
8 Gigs Gskill 1866
Nvidia 660 TI
WD 500G Caviar Black
Win 10 TP 10049 is the only OS on this PC

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You can kill explorer and start it again. Launch task manager (ctrl alt del), find explorer, terminate it. Then click new task, type explorer and launch it.

Ian Wider

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't seem to work, I hope we can get a response soon because this is a really irritating issue. Also just to provide more information, when this happens for me, I can't right click to pull up an options menu anywhere on the desktop.

fatalframe

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Try disconnecting your display and then re-connect it.. I have the exact same problem as you and at least that gave me my mouse cursor back (allowing me to restart explorer.exe).

richardjt1

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with a brand new Lenovo laptop, where I'm working away in a document and might, say, try to open another Word document and I notice the taskbar disappear before my eyes. There's still the white Windows 10 logo, the "Search the web and Windows" box and the "Task View" icons in the bottom left of the screen, but all are utterly unresponsive. I can shrink down whatever I'm working on (usually OneNote, Word and Outlook) and I'm left with a black screen, a white icon that I can move, these three in the bottom of the screen, and nothing else that works. Ctl+Alt+Del pulls up what's apparently running in the background, but no amount of effort can get any of these to open on the screen in front of me - the only screen I have on this laptop. All I can do is to push the "off" button until the laptop turns off, re-start and all seems fine...... for a while.... then repeat as above. Probably every hour.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos