Installing preview now above a valid W8, will it continue activated after leaving insider?

Orlando Grillo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I understand that, if I install the preview of Windows 10 now, it will be automatically updated to the final release on July 29. But Microsoft informed that, if the insider leaves the program, the build will expire after a certain time.

So, my question:
I have a licensed copy of Windows 8.1 and I want to install the preview now, but dont want to continue in the insider after July 29. After leaving the insider, will Windows know that I had a valid license and continue activated? Or will I need to revert back to 8.1 and then upgrade again to 10 for it to detect the W8.1 license?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious too. I have a valid Windows 7 license key too but now I'm on the Insider Preview - so it'd be nice to know I don't have to revert back to 7 so I can upgrade back to Windows 10 if I don't want to be in the program anymore

Orlando Grillo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I entered my 8.1 key into the preview and it accepted it... So I assume it'll remain activated.
So, during the installation process of win10 it promoted for a key and it accepted the 7/8.1 keys? Thought the previews doesn't require typing a key...

Well, thank you, hope it will be true on final release. But for now I need more then " I assume" or "I guess" to do the decision...

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So, during the installation process of win10 it promoted for a key and it accepted the 7/8.1 keys? Thought the previews doesn't require typing a key...

Well, thank you, hope it will be true on final release. But for now I need more then " I assume" or "I guess" to do the decision...

No, it installed without a key and then I went into ​"System" and entered my key via the "Change product key" option.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
If you purchased your system with 8 or above and upgrading to 10 it SHOULD pull the key from the bios and auto activate. Now if you are an id10t like me that built their own system, forgot to do an image backup, and can't find the hard copy with the key on it... "Formatted the drive before putting ten on it because I wanted gpt disks and efi working" I guess I will be staying on the insider for the foreseeable future.

I really wish Microsoft had a version of the volume license center for consumers to look up keys tied to their machines.

Orlando Grillo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
My laptop is 7 year old and was bought with Vista, but I upgraded to 7 and 8.1 using keys and ISOs from the MSDN Academic Alliance.
So, if I install w10 I can use those keys as explained by eddieDOTexe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard