Window 10 build 10240 using microsoft basic display adapter rather than my graphics card installed

Ananthj

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the same situation. See if this helps.
Go to display settings. you should see a dropdown list for monitors. If the monitor you are on is Display 1 choose the other one and you are good to go (This is assuming you have only one monitor)

Gary Magno

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Ananthj but as i go to display settings Display 1 is the only one i can choose. are you also using windows 10? Did u ever solve this issue?

Ananthj

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes- I have no issue with my setup. One of the reason you can be having this issue maybe that the driver update had failed. Please ensure the drivers are upto date. you can either go to the device manager and check under display adapters if AMD driver is upto date else you can go directly to the AMD site and download the driver (its 15.2xxx). Let me know if that helps.

Gary Magno

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I already download and installed it but "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is still the default display adapter on device manager also as to the dxdiag

Gary Magno

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Good for you ..I downloaded CCC 15.7.1 for windows 10 64-bit. Installation did finish but device manager under display adapaters still using microsoft basic display adapters. I got this windows 10 from upgrading windows 7 to windows 10 pro build 10240. Cant really fix this issue.

Gary Magno

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Seems like others are dont have problems with this display adapters with microsoft basic display adapters. Or they already solved it. Any hints, idea or the main solution? Or should I downgrade back to windows 7? Really want to use this windows 10

Gary Magno

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
From the amd site I downloaded manually the desktop graphics which I already installed. I also downloaded chipset but shoud I? what else should I download? Help me please

Ananthj

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
OK- not seeing the display adaptor in your device manager is not good - that essentially means the display card is not recognized.:(. So some questions -
a.Did you try doing an uninstal, reboot and reinstal cycle of the driver. Sometimes even if it shows install complete it may not have actually completed- you can check the logs for the install.
b. Did you do a clean install or an upgrade (i know a colleague who had a similar issue when doing an in place upgrade with settings but that cleared when he did a reset)
c. What motherboard and bios version are you using - it could be an issue there (I have an ASUS z68 Pro and i didnt face this issue even though its on an older chipset)

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is the thing, no ones even asked the basic questions here.

What are we talking about a desktop or Laptop here?

What is the video card as in the specific card? Not just a AMD card I need the model number.

Does your video card show up under the Graphics Display Drivers or is it just the Basic Display Adapter?

Let me know as much as you can about your system but those questions will help.

Tony Clegg

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
To add to Kyles post, I had a similar issue. The HD 4xxx series are no longer supported, and when loading Win 10, I noticed the default Windows driver. I right clicked on this and 'update driver' and did the trick. It recognised it. I have two pc's which have HD4300 and HD4550. I had to do this on both.

After this, I tried to download the Catalyst Control Centre, but won't download due to the age of my graphics card which alough managed (in the end) to get 1920x1080, there was a black border around. HOwever, there is a work-around for this in Regedit, but to be fair isn't a Windows / Microsoft issue as it's down to AMD/ATI as the drivers are no longer supported.

Gary Magno

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
A. Yes, I did it several times just to be sure it was installed properly.
B. I did it with an upgrade from windows 7 to windows 7. Its work perfectly in windows 7.
C. Bios - American Megatrends Inc. 080015 I can't recognize exactly what kind of motherboard I have but the system information shows that Base MotherBoard is ECS. I'm using a desktop

Gary Magno

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Kylie your right I'm using a desktop. My video card does not show up. It always show the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I really dont know what exactly specific card I have. but using autodetect drivers of AMD I think that shows the exact cardamd.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3