Windows 10 Preview for Phones on Lumia 830

Salem874

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
So....Here's my odd experience...

I bought a Lumia 830 online from Microsoft Store UK with the sole intention of using it to test Windows 10 for Phones (plus, the chance to get a free Fitbit Flex).

Phone arrives, and like a little child at Christmas I excitedly unpack it, put the battery in and get it charged up, and setup (note, all with NO SIM card, EE PAYG SIM has not yet arrived). Once setup, i promptly download the Windows Insider app, and proceed to install Windows 10 Technical Preview.

A few hours later, et voil?, I have windows 10 running on the device. I next head to the store to download the Fitbit Gift app so i can claim my free Fitbit Flex. This is where things go downloadhill. The Fitbit Gift app consistantly fails to authenticate my device. Thinking it might be due to the fact the device is running Windows 10, i decide to roll-back to Windows 8(.1), do the same thing and then go back up to Windows 10.

I successuly roll back using the Restore/Recovery software, proceed to re-download the Fitbit Gift app. Here i again run into problems. The app, still fails to verify my device, throwing back a different error code each time. Eventually, after trying for 24 hours+, it worked!! (so it looks like the failure to verify was a temporary service issue).

After verifying my device, and having claimed my Fitbit Flex, I re-download the Windows Insider app, with the view to reinstall Windows 10. Only this time, on each attempt, i'm told an update is not available for my device (note again, a Lumia 830). After numerous attempts, I realise the note on the app and.or website, that the preview is not available on all networks. So, thinking the EE SIM could be causing a problem (given that this is the only difference since my first install), I remove the SIM and try again, and again, and again...

Now, my question is....Am i missing something? Would the fact that i rolled back from the preview somehow have "blacklisted" the device from installing the preview (even if just this build) again? I'm just wondering why I would now not be able to download and install the preview on a UK Country variant Lumia 830 when i could this time last week.

any suggestions?

BigDvr6

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
This is where the problem starts with the 830.

What you need to do is restore to the earliest version of Denim via the recovery tool.

power the phone up, ignore all the setup process and firstly go into updates and untick the auto update box.

Then connect via wifi and install the insider app, check for updates and it will allow you to chose fast or slow.

it took me about an hour in total, as it downloads 8.1 update 1 then you need to check for updates again to get 10, but for some reason the version of denim we got updated to is not compatible.

Hope that helps.

Salem874

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
This is where the problem starts with the 830.

What you need to do is restore to the earliest version of Denim via the recovery tool.

power the phone up, ignore all the setup process and firstly go into updates and untick the auto update box.

Then connect via wifi and install the insider app, check for updates and it will allow you to chose fast or slow.

it took me about an hour in total, as it downloads 8.1 update 1 then you need to check for updates again to get 10, but for some reason the version of denim we got updated to is not compatible.

Hope that helps.

This is interesting. Will give it a try.

Has this been documented/acknowledged somewhere by Microsoft?

BigDvr6

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes it has, //answers.microsoft .com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/i-have-a-supported-device-for-windows-10-technical/3e9df415-2f25-4ad5-a16d-cb410d45fe14

I can't post links properly though, so hopefully it will work if you remove the space after microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)