Flagship Phone for Windows 10

nightryder21

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
As we all know a Windows phone flagship won't be coming until Windows 10. Many fans, including myself, are getting frustrated by the lack of a true flagship. I am actually getting close to buying an iPhone of Microsoft borks their flagship launch. First I will list a few boneheaded decisions they could make that could make me buy a competing platforms phone.

1) Flagship released exclusively to a carrier.

2) Not releasing a successor to the 1020.

3) Releasing a flagship with only 16GB of storage.

4) Releasing a flagship without the latest and greatest SOC.

5) Not releasing a successor to the 925.

Those are my personal boneheaded decisions Microsoft can make from most egrious to least.

If I were in charge over there of Microsoft I would release two flagships. A 1020 and 925 successor. Here would be my preferred specs for each.

Lumia 1030
- Qualcom 810 CPU
- 4 GB of Ram
- 64 GB and 128GB storage options.
- 40MP 1" Pureview Camera sensor
- 6 element glass lens.
- Weather proof body
- Single color (Black)
- Camera grip/battery extender attachmemt available in multiple colors.
- Wireless charging built-in
- 1080p 4.7" screen
- At least a 3600 mAH battery
- USB 3.1 type-c connector
- Fingerprint sensor ala TouchID.
- *Dream option* Adobe Lightroom for W10

This will not be thin phone! Camera performance is of the utmost importance. The 935 will be sexiest Lumia to come out.

Lumia 935
- Qualcom 810 CPU
- 3 GB of Ram
- 32 GB, 64GB, and 128GB storage options.
- 20MP Pureview Camera sensor
- Aluminum body
- Multiple colors available
- Wireless charging built-in
- 1080p 5" screen
- USB 3.1 type-c connector
- At least a 3000 mAH battery
- Fingerprint sensor ala TouchID.

What would be a decision Microsoft can make for you to buy a Flagship from competing platform? Also what hardware would you like to see in the eventual flagahip(s) release?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Southgarden116

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Basically a true Lumia 920 successor. (Lumia 930 is not a true successor and Lumia 925 is like the 920 only without wireless charging built-in)

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The 4 GB RAM and single color for the 1020 makes no sense to me but otherwise good specs. Wouldn't get my hopes up for fingerprint sensors or such a large battery on the 1020 successor though.

nightryder21

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The 925 was much than just a 925 without wireless charging. It was thin, sexy, aluminum, and had an extra glass element to its lens. The 925 successor needs to be sexy and thin as that is its soul.

nightryder21

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The 4 GB RAM and single color for the 1020 makes no sense to me but otherwise good specs. Wouldn't get my hopes up for fingerprint sensors or such a large battery on the 1020 successor though.

Phones now are coming with 3GB of ram. 4GB of fast RAM can allow you to do some serious stuff with the camera. I only say black onlymto reduce costs. Allowing the camera grip to come in all sorts of colors can allow customization. And yea i doubt the fingerprint sensor but a boy can dream.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Phones now are coming with 3GB of ram. 4GB of fast RAM can allow you to do some serious stuff with the camera. I only say black onlymto reduce costs. Allowing the camera grip to come in all sorts of colors can allow customization. And yea i doubt the fingerprint sensor but a boy can dream.

​I'd be fine with it but I would prefer if there are two versions (a cheaper one w/o a sensor but has different color variants a la iPhone 5C/S.)

​That would probably be asking for too much though.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What you're taking to see is that with those specs, you're basically ensuring that it's thing to be pretty expensive. The only reason so many of us can even opt to get a flagship phone is because the MSRP is subsidized through enrolling in a contract provided by the carrier. That is slowly changing as you see Sprint and T-Mobile moving aww from traditional carrier contracts. Although these phones might do well here, they wouldn't in Europe and Asia outside of China. That's why the iPhone isn't dominating in low budget countries with carriers that don't subsidize the price of phones. The 920 and 925 are both great phones. I owned a 920 so I know, but that was Nokia's vision, and I think MS is targeting an area that with Windows 10, they can capitalize on. Remember the 920 and 925 were considered flagships. The 930 was never considered one. Honestly the replacement for the 920 is the 1520.

nightryder21

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
What you're taking to see is that with those specs, you're basically ensuring that it's thing to be pretty expensive. The only reason so many of us can even opt to get a flagship phone is because the MSRP is subsidized through enrolling in a contract provided by the carrier. That is slowly changing as you see Sprint and T-Mobile moving aww from traditional carrier contracts. Although these phones might do well here, they wouldn't in Europe and Asia outside of China. That's why the iPhone isn't dominating in low budget countries with carriers that don't subsidize the price of phones. The 920 and 925 are both great phones. I owned a 920 so I know, but that was Nokia's vision, and I think MS is targeting an area that with Windows 10, they can capitalize on. Remember the 920 and 925 were considered flagships. The 930 was never considered one. Honestly the replacement for the 920 is the 1520.

That's why Microsoft has glut of phones under $200. They need at least two aspirational devices. One typical and another that to do use an toward an photography. These phones generate excitement and conversations. Eventually the tech makes it down stream to then low level phones.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
you may as well go for those specs: Specs :

Processor : Tegra 4
Camera : 41 MP Carl Zeiss Lens , 4K Recording at 60 FPS , Slow - Motion Recording at 60 FPS
Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity, gyro, compass
Battery : 4000 mah User Replaceable
Speakers : Dolby Digital Stereo Surround Speakers
Protection: Corning gorilla glass 3, (ip67) certified dust and water resistan
Memory : 3 GB RAM , 128 GB Phone Memory , Memory Card Support upto 128 GB

or

5.2" 2160 X 1440 screen super amoled.
3GB ram.
snapdragon 805 or latest for 2015.
2600 - 3300 mah battery (integrated) would prefer removable (Samsung did it @ 6.7mm with a metal frame *galaxy alpha* so no excuses MS.)
micro sd card slot with either 16 or 32 GB internal storage.
20MP or better camera OIS, HDR, Dual Tone led flash, 4k video recording @ 30FPS min 60 FPS max + 5MP front camera and camera modes software wise.
JBL stereo speakers could be front firing or top and bottom firing.
Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity, gyro, compass, humidity.
IR blaster remote control.
Wireless charging.
BT 4.0 LE, NFC, WiFi AC, USB 3.1 C connector, 3.5 mil headphone jack.
notification light.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
There is no need for different sized memory versions of one model as it increases production costs. Just stick to 32gb onboard & then include a micro SD slot for expandable memory.

swedishdude

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely! Just put a microsd cardslot in there, and storage becomes a matter of choice. If you like to shoot video any internal storage will be to small, and they can't make a 128gb version, because that would be insanely expensive

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
There is no need for different sized memory versions of one model as it increases production costs. Just stick to 32gb onboard & then include a micro SD slot for expandable memory.

That is what makes the most sense to me...As I have always said before. And that is for every phone no matter what company.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Im sorry but all your specs are boring as hell. All other companies can buy that hardware and make competing devices, except for the camera maybe.

The new flagship needs something beyond that. Something revolutionary. Extreme battery life, solar cells, or something something truly experience changing. Specs don't do it alone. The experience must change. Only that will win over iOS and Android users.

The 920 offered that. Touch with gloves. Wireless charging. That stuff is the stuff that matters. Not boring specs. WP is already fast and smooth.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My I phone owning friends are shocked that my Lumia 930 has wireless charging. I wouldn't go back to a handset that didn't have that feature built in.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Im sorry but all your specs are boring as hell. All other companies can buy that hardware and make competing devices, except for the camera maybe.

The new flagship needs something beyond that. Something revolutionary. Extreme battery life, solar cells, or something something truly experience changing. Specs don't do it alone. The experience must change. Only that will win over iOS and Android users.

The 920 offered that. Touch with gloves. Wireless charging. That stuff is the stuff that matters. Not boring specs. WP is already fast and smooth.

I agree that the specs are boring too in the sense that everyone else has that. But something "revolutionary" isn't going to do it either. The 920 had a lot of new features, and although it did generate some buzz in the tech community it failed to win over any significant number of iOS and Android users. One could say that it only was able to offer those features by compromising with the overall size and weight, and so it was a tradeoff device and not a true step forward.

When the first iphone came out we saw smartphones improves by leaps and bounds over the course of those first 2-3 years. But since then it's been very incremental hardware advances and as much as I hope MS has some crazy technology in its back pocket the reality is that whatever flagship they release in the fall is going to be on par (specs wise) with whatever android device is out at that time.

The MS flagship will probably have a better camera than anything else out there, but thats not going to win over iOS and Android users. You need superior hardware AND software, and quite frankly WP is good but the WP team has been spending more time playing catch up then doing new and exciting things.

Even if the flagship has a snapdragon that's a generation past the 820, is there a whole lot on WP that will showcase it? There are tons of games on android and iOS that can really show off what the latest hardware can do... not a whole lot on WP.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I love my 1520 and the 930/Icon is gorgeous, but I really think the first Win 10 phone should be a 5-5.5" 1030. The only real con against the 1020 was its slow processor. Give it an 810 and let it breathe.

I would love a gorgeous 6" Quad HD screen to accompany that camera, but I know alot of people wouldn't want that. Lol. And it would probably cost alot. Prob push that $800 range. Who knows.

And release it globally! No carrier exclusive crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3