Anyone able to update to W10M from OS ver 8.10.14234.375?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

So I was using Windows 10 TP on my Lumia 830 with fake Denim. Today real Denim with support for Lumia Camera 5 was released for this phone, and the phone won't see the new firmware while on Windows 10, so I flashed back to 8.1 and updated to Denim. Unfortunately this also updated the OS version to 8.10.14234.375 and now the Insiders app refuses to fetch the Windows 10 update, as it requires OS version 8.10.14219.341 or lower.

Has anyone found any workaround to get the update anyways, while keeping the Denim firmware?

I thought of this a lot, but there's no way to get the new firmware without getting the new OS version, too.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow! So for us that are on Windows 10 TP for phones and we don't have the "Real" Denim update, we need to roll back but after we are stuck and can't install Windows 10 TP again.....Ok that is an issue.

I'm still waiting for the real denim update so until I see an article or a tweet from my carrier, I will wait.

Thanks for posting this and hopefully there is a solution!!!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Some regions which got the 830 real denim last month came with an older OS version. They can keep denim and still update to Win 10, my product code can't. I hope the next version of Win 10 TP brings wider support.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
All Lumia 830's updated past the initial/release firmware version have this problem. Updating to W10M TP is only possible by first reverting back to an earlier ROM. A future version of W10M TP will resolve this.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. So there's no way currently of keeping the new firmware (which enables LC5) and also Windows 10, at this point of time, at least for my product code.

Thanks everyone for your help.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just did. They replied back almost immediately. They suggested I flash back, then update to W10. Unfortunately that way I will lose the new firmware. I would rather wait for the next preview release.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just did. They replied back almost immediately. They suggested I flash back, then update to W10. Unfortunately that way I will lose the new firmware. I would rather wait for the next preview release.

Yup, just like I said 😉

Your reasoning is correct too... currently you can't have both the newest firmware and W10M TP on an 830.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yup, just like I said ��

Your reasoning is correct too... currently you can't have both the newest firmware and W10M TP on an 830.

Right, I would rather have the new firmware; the TP currently doesn't have much to offer. I hope the next version doesn't have this restriction and comes with the new Office and Messaging (with Skype) app.

roycs81

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Though the insider app shows "no builds", but when you login to your microsoft account within the app, it shows fast or slow option as usual.

roycs81

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
you don't need to roll back to 8.1 but instead you can just reset your phone keeping all your apps & settings backed up. it brings you the latest firmware as well as the new OS without threatening your 10TP at all. have fun :)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
you don't need to roll back to 8.1 but instead you can just reset your phone keeping all your apps & settings backed up. it brings you the latest firmware as well as the new OS without threatening your 10TP at all. have fun :)

So you're saying that I
1. Flash back to fake denim
2. Without upgrading to full Denim, I install Windows Insider app and update to Windows 10
3. Do a factory reset to get a clean build of Win 10
4. Check for updates and get the denim "firmware" portion
5. Installing the update will get me Denim firmware as well as W10?

Can you cconfirm that doing a factory reset on W10 gets it the ability to get the Denim update?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

​Well, you were mostly right. I got to Windows 10, factory reset my phone. This removed windows insider and got my phone back to the normal update ring. When I checked for updates, it got me the Lumia Update (updated firmware) and surprise, the latest version of Windows 8.1; this must have replaced some of the Windows 10 files with it's own, because now my OS looks like a mutant. Many settings entries are partially Windows 10 and partially Windows 8.1. It remains to be seen if any functionality is lost, as I formatted again to be able to restore my backup.

​thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism