Mini apps in the tiles

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey , I was thinking of how I could benefit from my huge screen in L1520 , it has been a while since those mini apps on android debuted and they are really good for multitasking , thought the same thing for win10 but it would be a little odd to have an app floating over the tiles (it can float over other apps however) , so I guess it might be nicer to have mini apps within the tile itself , like an expandable tile , what do you think ?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
These widgets were initially invented in order to give users "data" about an app, such as weather, time, appointments, etc. Something Live Tiles already do in a different way. Floating widgets are a way to keep them visible all the time.

I know many smaller tablets with Windows 10 will be able to have multiple "full apps" windowed at the same time, which is better than floating widgets by a long shot. Android tablets will still have to depend on floating widgets, where Windows 10 will have "windows" on the screen. I'm not sure if this will filter down to "phones" such as the 1520 or not. I know this would not be feasible on a 520 because of screen real estate, but SHOULD be on something like a 1520, or a 640 XL. I suppose we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out, unless someone else already knows the answer and responds.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Widgets can also do more than give data.
They can act as toggles and mini sliders and what not, like a mini player for the music player.
Windows IMO displays the whole app, which you can drag around and place anywhere.
Whereas in a widget its the stripped down version of an app with minimal controls and can be pinned as a tile even in the small screen 520.
Floating widgets also doesn't take up much space. It should appear as a small tab (you can set it anywhere on the screen), when pressed, expands into a set of necessary controls (Overlay above the screen).

So instead of having a resizable window of an app complete with all its controls, a widget and a floating widget would do the job more efficiently.

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
You don't get what I'm taking about ! I know what widgets are , I'm talking about making and over floating app (a small one instead of full screen)

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99