Some Hope For a Windows 10 Flagship

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Oy vey.. MS never said that they weren't going to deliver flagship phones :p So I don't get why people are worried. Be patient, "phones" are coming lol

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 Microsoft Lumia flagships reportedly in the works | BGR

Now I wish I didn't order the Lumia 930 as these might come soon!

I own a 930. It's a great phone and will handle W10 no prob when it's released. I expect my phone to go for another year or two before it starts showing its age even in the slightest. It's the best Lumia you can get right now.

You won't regret it.

Sure there is no Glance or SD expansion, but 32GB is more than enough for me, plus the lack of Glance screen is a minor trade off for the wireless charging, 4K Video Recording with surround sound, 20MP camera, Hey Cortana, great display, quad core CPU, 2GB of RAM and the size is just right.

It's leaps and bounds over the iPhone 6 which is newer than the 930.

I've used the L800, 925, 625, 630, 1320 & 1020.... The 930 is the best.

But the next Flagship Lumia won't be ready until around Sept - Nov.... MS clearly stated that no Flagship will come until After Windows 10 is officially released and won't be released until W10 for Phones is released. (most likely at the same time)

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I own a 930. It's a great phone and will handle W10 no prob when it's released. I expect my phone to go for another year or two before it starts showing its age even in the slightest. It's the best Lumia you can get right now.

You won't regret it.

Sure there is no Glance or SD expansion, but 32GB is more than enough for me, plus the lack of Glance screen is a minor trade off for the wireless charging, 4K Video Recording with surround sound, 20MP camera, Hey Cortana, great display, quad core CPU, 2GB of RAM and the size is just right.

I just got mine today (upgrading from iPhone 6) and can easily see myself using it long after the 940/flagship comes out! And that screen is amazing!

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I just got mine today (upgrading from iPhone 6) and can easily see myself using it long after the 940/flagship comes out! And that screen is amazing!

Just imagine when W10 gets on it when released.... It's gonna rock. I've been using my 930 since around September. I'm in no rush to get another phone.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

You won't regret it.

But the next Flagship Lumia won't be ready until around Sept - Nov.... MS clearly stated that no Flagship will come until After Windows 10 is officially released and won't be released until W10 for Phones is released. (most likely at the same time)

I disagree, from a pure spec standpoint, the 1520 is the best lumia you can buy, it has no tradeoffs except for its giant size, it has all the features windows phone has to offer.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I disagree, from a pure spec standpoint, the 1520 is the best lumia you can buy, it has no tradeoffs except for its giant size, it has all the features windows phone has to offer.

Well their specs are pretty much the same but its size turns off a lot of people which is why the 930 imo is the best. That and the 1520 is no longer being sold by MS....

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Nokia-Lumia-930,Nokia-Lumia-1520/phones/8571,8109

Actually beside SD support and a better battery, the 930 either has the same specs or better specs.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well their specs are pretty much the same but its size turns off a lot of people which is why the 930 imo is the best. That and the 1520 is no longer being sold by MS....

Nokia Lumia 930 vs Nokia Lumia 1520 - Phone specs comparison

Actually beside SD support and a better battery, the 930 either has the same specs or better specs.

a spec is a spec, regardless of weather or not its important to you

The icon doesn't have "same or better" specs, it has the same or worse, everything iin the icon is either the same spec than the 1520, or worse.

theres 5 differences

1) the obvious one, the size, 1520 is 6" while the 930 is 5", this is a purely preference thing

2) 930 has a lower quality screen than the 1520, and I'm not comparing oled vs led, I'm talking about pure build quality, there iis a reason the 930 is lacking glance, it's because Nokia cut a corner and used a cheaper display type that doesn't have the technical requirements to enable glance. this is, at least to me, a straight spec drop. Which brings me to the next point..

3) Glance screen: the result of cutting a corner on a previous spec, glance is missing from the 930 which is am pretty major feature of windows phone (for lumias at least, though i suspect glance is being built into wp10 for all devices capable of running it)

4) SD cards, again, you may not care for it but when talking about specs, this is an obvious spec point, 930 has no sd card slot, where as the 1520 has one that can go up to 64 gig (most likely 128 too)

and finally, the biggest deal you shrugged off 5) battery: this ones a BIG deal the battery is massive, while tied to its giant size in general, the 3400 mAh is quite a big spec to take into consideration, hell it was the sole reason I chose the 1520 over the 930

There is one thing the 930 has over the 1520 though, and I didn't include it in the previous points because its technically not in use yet, LED notification light, from what I know, the 930 does have one, just not in use, and I don't believe the 1520 has one though.

note: you didn't mention it being an opinion originally, you just said it was the best Lumia period, which, just wasn't true, if any was gonna get that title in a factual way, I d say it goes to the 1520

Note 2: I'm not sure i trust your spec comparison posted, it claims only the 930 has 4k video recording, but II can shay with certainty my 1520 records at 4k too, also it seems to say the camera is less featured on the 930 than the 1520, which to my knowledge, they use the exact same camera module..

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

LOL... The best part of the link that "proves" the 930 is better comes right at the top where 1520 is rated better by the source and by users!!!

Capture.JPG

I always go to gsmarena for my compares... They update better.

Nokia Lumia 1520 vs. Nokia Lumia 930 - GSMArena.com

The only area 930 might claim an advance in is the screen. GG3 vs GG2 on the 1520. Throw out AMOLED vs IPC as no one ever settles that argument. The extra ppi on 930 is wasted for most viewers in most situations, but becomes an Achilles heel for the 930 when it slurps up the battery. Yes... AMOLED means black = no pixels lit... However, how much of the screen is black during most Applications??? IMHO not enough to justify very significant battery savings during normal use.

Add in the greater number of variants and radios; the 1520 is usable by more people on more networks around the world, giving it a broader application. Even counting in the Icon as a 930.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

You won't regret it.

Me too. Am using 930 right now.

Except that 930 is a little bit thicker than the majority of flagships in the market, in terms of performance, camera, screen size, usability, it is the flagship standard.

Perhaps it is a marketing issue that people feel that Microsoft has no flaghship phone (I think a flagship phone should have a unique brand name instead of Lumia+number). Or perhaps 930 is priced at mid-range so that people regard it as a mid-range phone only.

Of course I appreciate Msft to release an even more brilliant phone. :)

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
If one wants to nit pick over specs:

The 930 is of course lighter
The 930 has the same resolution but more pixel density which equals better better display that is not stretched to a larger screen.
The 930 offers night mode for the camera, the 1520 does not.
The 930 offers 4k Video recording, the 1520 does not.
The 930 has continuous auto focus, video calling and video sharing.

Now you may find those things just as trivial as I find no SD card support, but for me, those are huge advantages over the 1520 as I use all of the above almost daily.

I never said the 1520 was a crap phone, but it is the best Lumia you can get.

.... Because the 1520 is no longer being sold. You can't get it unless you buy off of ebay.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I just want an announcement with pictures, models and specs. This waiting game is killing me when I'm debating already whether I want to jump ship or not. Hopefully in the next few months they'll start announcing.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
theres 5 differences

1) the obvious one, the size, 1520 is 6" while the 930 is 5", this is a purely preference thing

2) 930 has a lower quality screen than the 1520, and I'm not comparing oled vs led, I'm talking about pure build quality, there iis a reason the 930 is lacking glance, it's because Nokia cut a corner and used a cheaper display type that doesn't have the technical requirements to enable glance. this is, at least to me, a straight spec drop. Which brings me to the next point..

3) Glance screen: the result of cutting a corner on a previous spec, glance is missing from the 930 which is am pretty major feature of windows phone (for lumias at least, though i suspect glance is being built into wp10 for all devices capable of running it)

You don't wanna compare Oled vs Led, and I'm guessing that you wrote wrong because the 1520 is a IPS LCD and no led display, but there is the big difference to the the 930 have glance or not. The 930 1080p screen is not cheaper than the 1520 and if the display memory need for glance work were included the cost of the screen was too high and the device cost too high for success sale.
Glance is a mather of user preference, I had a 925 with glance and a never used.
Lot of people see more the 6" vs 5" as a deal breaker than the lack of glance.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the Lumia 1520 & it checks all the boxes for me.

The sdCard & larger battery are what wins out, (virtually) NO limit on storage (simply swap in another sdcard) & the glance screen works for me. I actually like the xtra content per screen w the 6" screen, though I haven't tried the 5" screen 930.

They're both the best spec'd Windows phone (currently), just a few differentiating points (but, let's not forget about the HTC One M8) ...

As always, NO perfect phone, just perfect for YOU.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I never said the 930 was not a great phone. It is. And definitely Flagship quality. Still one of the best 3 Windows Phones ever made.

@Praxius, I think you are hung up on that Phone Arena comparison where they only show what OS version launched. 1520 is at 8.1 Update + Lumia Denim same as the 930.

There is not a feature on this list that 930/Icon has that 1520 does not. FAQ - Which features does my Lumia phone support? - Microsoft - Philippines

1520 has the following features which 930 lacks: Memory Card, Glance Screen.

I concede that the 930 screen may be superior from a purely spec point of view, but in real world application the 1520 has legendary battery stamina and 930 users are known to report lackluster battery stamina which I believe is a correlation of the over ambitious ppi. The difference in battery life should not be arguable as we've all read the user reviews.

Glance is a minor deal to you... OK. I rely on it, but not your cup of tea. Lets throw that out for the sake of expediency.

Memory Card. Here is where you start to argue against yourself. Not having expandable memory makes it more difficult to fully leverage the camera benefits you keep touting (erroneously) as exclusive to 930. You are limited to 32 GB - rounding up - system - apps - user data - maps - music - media - misc, = finite limit of up to 128GB less than 1520 is capable of storing. 930 user is therefore more restrained in how much 4K or 1080p video to take/store and how many High Res jpg or .dng files to capture/save/edit vs a 1520 user.

When I was trading up, I looked long and hard for the best all around Windows Phone I could get. I considered the 930/Icon, I considered the HTC One (M8) that was rumored to be coming and I considered the 1520.

I got the 1520.

I feel my choice was vindicated when I went on vacation and used the 1520 HEAVY every day. 100+ high res pics each and every day, some 1080p video, navigation all day long, Bing Translator, Alarms and reminders, Cortana, web searches, sms to the wife, Skype calls at night back to the US, currency and other conversions, media consumption and time waster games, video/photo review and edit... The phone was a constant use lifeline, tool and camera. At the end of most days I had 20-35% battery left and I never had to worry about storing the ever accumulating high res photos and videos I amassed over a 32 day period. (After culling out rejects each evening - and there were many, I just clicked and clicked and clicked and never worried once about storage or battery - I brought home over 2700 pictures and videos.) During that 32 days there was 3 days I needed my battery bank.

Please don't tell me the 930 can equal that real world performance, no matter what the spec sheets say.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You don't wanna compare Oled vs Led, and I'm guessing that you wrote wrong because the 1520 is a IPS LCD and no led display, but there is the big difference to the the 930 have glance or not. The 930 1080p screen is not cheaper than the 1520 and if the display memory need for glance work were included the cost of the screen was too high and the device cost too high for success sale.
Glance is a mather of user preference, I had a 925 with glance and a never used.
Lot of people see more the 6" vs 5" as a deal breaker than the lack of glance.

whoops, that was a typo, brain thought one thing, hands typed something else haha

I'm not gonna say OLED or IPS is a "better" spec, because each one is so fundamentally different it comes down to prefereance, OLEDs are less battery hungry and have deeper blacks, where as IPS displays are much more accurate in color, personally, I prefer OLED's, but the sides are pretty even about which is better.

When it comes to glance, yes that is a spec drop, it means that the 930 is missing an ENTIRE chip that the 1520 has, weather or not its important to YOU is irrelevant, the op mentioned the 930 is "the best lumia" period, there was no opinion in that, it was said as a matter of fact, which implies that it has EVERY single feature the 1520 has, which it doesn't. Am I saying the size isn't a deal breaker for a lot of people? Definately not, its a big phone and a lot of people would be turned off by it, but again, that's bringing opinions into the mix, from a pure spec standpoint the 1520 is undeniably the BEST Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb