2 Minutes made you change your opinion??

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Here is why Microsoft wants hamburger menus in Windows 10 for phone | Windows Central

Just yesterday, most of you were complaining about HAMBURGERs, and now you accept it??

BTW here's a story:
I bought Lumia 720 two years ago, I switched from Symbian so the most confusing part was the start screen, one page instead of 6, vertical instead of horizontal + it's something new different, IOS nor Android has it, so why not killing live tiles, bring the stupid simple icons so that IOS users won't be confused when switch.

being unique, being special, is not an issue, Ellipses, live tiles are inventions.

this is my opinion: I hate Hamburgers, the new outlook UI is terrible, 4.3inches killed my thumb, what would I do with 5.0!

oh! Lumia 1520 users, no body cares about you.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with Hamburgers is that they are on the opposite side of our thumbs (unless you are left handed). Their placement should really be central and on the right (with an option to have left side too).

​I think MS should just innovate and try to define their own UI

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with Hamburgers is that they are on the opposite side of our thumbs (unless you are left handed). Their placement should really be central and on the right (with an option to have left side too).

​I think MS should just innovate and try to define their own UI

as far as that goes ... long ago (Windows 3.0 or before) MS trained users how to interact w computers ...
& everyone else followed suit.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Here is why Microsoft wants hamburger menus in Windows 10 for phone | Windows Central

Just yesterday, most of you were complaining about HAMBURGERs, and now you accept it??

BTW here's a story:
I bought Lumia 720 two years ago, I switched from Symbian so the most confusing part was the start screen, one page instead of 6, vertical instead of horizontal + it's something new different, IOS nor Android has it, so why not killing live tiles, bring the stupid simple icons so that IOS users won't be confused when switch.

being unique, being special, is not an issue, Ellipses, live tiles are inventions.

this is my opinion: I hate Hamburgers, the new outlook UI is terrible, 4.3inches killed my thumb, what would I do with 5.0!

oh! Lumia 1520 users, no body cares about you.

I can't explain how much I agree with the OP.
Exactly my thoughts once I read the article today.
Not to mention I also come from Symbian and I also got used to the change, so anyone saying I'm afraid of change is just talkin' nonsense.

Don't you people see how protective you got? Typical ******-ism. And then you call out the iSheeps? Look at what you've became.

I hated the hamburger since I realised how much the Windows Phone UI was good. And I still stand behind it. Nobody in the right mind would change something that not only works, but works ****in great!
And I won't change my mind just because there's a post out from and ex microsoft employee saying I should do so.

Here's my comment from that post, read it carefully.

I still don't agree.

Think about this:

How did Windows Phone 7, WP8, and WP 8.1 work without Hamburgers and with swipe navigation, AND JUST NOW it suddenly won't work anymore?

It's because they are making a problem out of nowhere. Making problems out of something that wasn't a problem. Why? Because omg iOS and Android.

If iOS and Android had problems and they chose to solve it the bad way, why does WP have to follow that bad solution, even though we didn't have a problem in the first place?

The 2 reasons that were mentioned in the video (convergion and porting) are barely a problem. First, Windows across all devices doesn't have to be completely the same. It also shouldn't because you'll hardly find ONE design that fits every device there is. Also, they're acting as if they'll make those two systems completely the same, and only this is the problem. And what will actually happen is Windows will vary a lot across devices, but they'll all have crappy navigation in common. That's great. One Windows, woo-hoo!

As for porting - who cares. Just think about it for a second before agreeing with it - MS wants to change WP because people from other OSes don't understand how to use it.
Would Google do that for you? Would Apple do that for you? No. Thogh luck buddy, eather pay someone to learn the OS or learn it yourself and shut up. It's like if you invited someone to your house, and he started redecorating your house because he doesn't like it.

My personal oppinion (people still have rights to oppinions, right?) is that WP (or Windows or whatever) should avoid those BAD solutions, and eather stay with what we have, and what already works, or implement something better. They're acting like hamburgers are the only option. Look at sailfish with their completely gesture-oriented design and UX, and other OSes.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy to see MS being confident with their design choices. I think hamburger haters are foolish and react solely on fear of change.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy to see that Microsoft is learning from the big mistakes they made with Metro.
Metro is interesting but the user experience is inferior compared to Android and iOS. Metro would be good for a niche company like Jolla, not for Microsoft.
Sadly, Microsoft lost 5 years with Metro.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm happy to see MS being confident with their design choices. I think hamburger haters are foolish and react solely on fear of change.

Yeah, I think you're right. Its the lack of hamburger menus that makes the WP Skype client so slow and lacking features, the inability to edit forwarded emails or reply with anything other than a picture, explains the lack of smart dialing, makes MS services crap outside the US, lack of led notifications, and even explains why WP's backup is so poor you lose data every time you hard reset. Yes, moving to the hamburger menu will fix all of these..... /s

I'm happy to see that Microsoft is learning from the big mistakes they made with Metro.
Metro is interesting but the user experience is inferior compared to Android and iOS. Metro would be good for a niche company like Jolla, not for Microsoft.
Sadly, Microsoft lost 5 years with Metro.

Yes, not going with Metro would have fixed all the things I mentioned, not Microsoft actually paying some attention to their own platform....

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am an android user.everywhere in android there is hamburger menu but no android users curse it.People in world want only apps they give a **** to is looks nd design.That is very sad reality.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
How can you people really blame it all on metro?
Metro was something that wasn't just laid out. It was MADE to work. It was made to be good.
Usability, design, fluidness, logic.

The only thing I didn't like in WP (actually in WP's design aka Metro) is that it looked too bare-bones. It was only some text on a mostly black background.
Years passed untill we got a background option. It all seemed like CMD.

And yes, I agree with theefman - hamburgers will not fix anything, just make thigns worse. Because it's not Metro that's bad.

anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
nope

3hEBw1X.jpg

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Haters got schooled.

And if there's one thing that kills hate, it's education and explanation.

Um, sorry to break it to you but hamburger menus and awkwardly placed controls are still garbage. You might not realize it it but your thumb stretching to the top of the screen will.

The only useful info that the the ex-MS fry cook and his crayon drawings bring up is the sad realization that MS is no longer a leader but a follower. Instead of putting in some real effort to compete with Android and iOS they go ahead and butcher just about everything that made WP unique and easy to use. How much do you want to bet that live tiles are on the list of things to axe? They're a part of Metro so why not be consistent and throw that out too. They've already added a transparency option to dial them down. So the end result is a bland generic OS that's slower to access (no hubs, no pivots), no style (no Metro) and pretty much no reason to exist. Universal apps? Yeah, good luck with that. I'm sure Android and iOS users are on the edge of theirs seats in anticipation.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 will be a mess and a step back in time when it comes to usability and design. I saw that new outlook app with all the buttons in a top bar without descriptions. O lord how terrible. Im gonna hate it so much. :(((

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps if it was cheeseburgers instead of hamburgers people would be less cheesed off...

That's as serious as I can take this all, as long as the os works, is designed well and plays well with universal apps, I don't mind. Plus I'm left handed, about time the righties drew the short straw! ;)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
That isn't true. For one, I don't hate the hamburger menu icon, I hate it's implementation in mobile devices.

Second, I'm not afraid of change at all! Windows phone was the first service I've used with the majority of the navigation focused towards the bottom of the device. The ellipsis menu, the address bar, the search bar. Those were all CHANGES I had to get used to and grew to love because they were better than the old way.

I don't get why everyone thinks something that is harder to reach and less elegant visually is so much better just because everyone else is doing it. They are doing it because it's the norm, not because it is superior. Who is afraid of change really if you look at it from that perspective?

The ones that are trying something NEW, not old hat, are the ones that are afraid of change? Really? How can you write what you did with that fact staring you right in the face? Please explain!

Again... Windows phone is different, yet its users are afraid of change? Think bigger...

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't get why everyone thinks something that is harder to reach and less elegant visually is so much better just because everyone else is doing it. They are doing it because it's the bnorm, not because it is superior. Who is afraid of change really if you look at it from that perspective?

The ones that are trying something NEW, not old hat, are the ones that are afraid of change? Really? How can you write what you did with that fact staring you right in the face? Please explain!

Again... Windows phone is different, yet its users are afraid of change? Think bigger...

Well said mate, well said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism