start screen transparent

wnwnhp

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I accidentally found this way to make start screen transparent. Very simple actually

Open task manager, under details tab, end task for dwm.exe (don't worry it will start again)

Now whatever you have on screen will become live wallpaper (or live video ) see through the start screen
you can actually see what's happening behind start screen as if work flow never left

It also applies for desktop mode with use start full screen turn on

Similar function to an app windows 8 start screen customizer. That app has more option to change the opacity for win 8 (not support for win 10)

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central.

Nope, this didn't work for me - I just tried it three times.

However, I must mention that my start screen is already translucent - I could see the outlines of contrasting shapes (such as the "Post Quick Reply" button in this screen against the white background of the webpage through my start screen, but I can't actually read the text.

Update: With additional info provided by wnwnhp, this is confirmed to work (at least with my Windows 10 PC) - should have full start screen enabled.

Last edited:

wnwnhp

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for trying.
I'm sorry I should be more specific. Under details tab, long press (right click) on dwm.exe, select end task, another message box pop up then select end process. That should do it. Now hit start button (fullscreen of course ) and it should be transparent. I've tested again and it works

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yup, saw the end task and end process dialogue... but now that you mention (again) that it had to be a full screen start menu, I'd confirm that this method works. This was mentioned in your OP but I somehow missed it. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo