PopCharms Charms Bar Launcher

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Created this app to enable the Right-Edge cursor activation of the Charms Bar instead of using the Keyboard Shortcut in situations where I wasn't always sitting near the keyboard.

Maybe useful to others. :)

W10TP_PopCharms_ScrnShot.jpg

Description:
PopCharms

Simple app to enable users to move their cursor to Right Edge of Screen to open the Charms Bar without using Keyboard Shortcut manually.

For Windows Store Apps: If you have a Windows Store App open and move to Right Edge, it will automatically open the Settings Charm for the app. I did it this way to get away from having to click the Menu Bar\ Settings in the app then moving cursor over to the Settings Charm.

The app sits in the System Tray. Right-Click icon and select Exit to close the app.

This is just a temporary solution till Microsoft, hopefully, settles on a solution to the Charms Bar.

Tested using a mouse but have not tested using Touch.

Can be downloaded from my OneDrive: PopCharms

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned you haven't tried on touch!
You wouldn't need to use this tool on touch, as it works anyway with the touch :)

In W8.1 this is True but, in W10 TP, There are no EdgeUI, so I'm unclear as to how the Charms Bar works automatically for Touch users in the W10TP without using a shortcut.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
In W8.1 this is True but, in W10 TP, There are no EdgeUI, so I'm unclear as to how the Charms Bar works automatically for Touch users in the W10TP without using a shortcut.

Hmm, because on my tablet, I can still swipe in from the right to get the Charms bar and swiping from the left gives me the W10TP task view screen*.
However, I've downloaded the Charms tool you've done and I like it! Just one thing though, when I go to scroll up/down on an app, for example, I use Google Chrome in maximized mode, it's a little irritating for the Charms bar to come up when I scroll to the side, not into the corner! Would be delightful if this could be fixed and if it can be fixed!

*Source: Acer Iconia W3-810 running Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, because on my tablet, I can still swipe in from the right to get the Charms bar and swiping from the left gives me the W10TP task view screen*.
However, I've downloaded the Charms tool you've done and I like it! Just one thing though, when I go to scroll up/down on an app, for example, I use Google Chrome in maximized mode, it's a little irritating for the Charms bar to come up when I scroll to the side, not into the corner! Would be delightful if this could be fixed and if it can be fixed!

*Source: Acer Iconia W3-810 running Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Didn't know that. From all I've read as well as my own laptop, I was under the assumption that that TP was strictly Desktop friendly and not Touch but, good to see they can detect what type of device you are using and adjust it.

Yea, it's a tad sensitive on the edge but adding more of a distance into the side of screen resulted in it not displaying 100% of the time as well as losing focus on the Store Apps which is why I set it where I did. I'll probably do a bit more tweaking on it and see what I can do.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm using a non-touch laptop and have dual booted Windows 8.1 and 10. In Windows 10, I can't pop out charms bar from the hot corner, but if I swipe from right on my touchpad it pops out. So, I think, on touch devices charms pops up just like the touchpad gesture but you have to swipe from the right side on your touch screen. This is my understanding. I think Microsoft got rid of hot corners for touchpad and mouse users, because people complained that it pops out often while navigating. This is not a problem for me but as per my reading of tech blogs I think that's the only reason Microsoft did that. Actually there's a setting that allows you to enable and disable hot corners but sadly they aren't working for me.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Windows Key + C will pop up the charms bar.

The first sentence of the post mentions it is intended as an alternative to the key combination...

I understand why it would be disabled by default for non-touchscreen apps, but I'm surprised there isn't an option to enable it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Good job you made this. I have been worried that MS have decided to regress from Metro back to WIMP. If we need to resort to keyboard, well that's going back to MS-DOS input style! MS? You mad bro?

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi after the years does anyone have still this app ? I cant find anywhere to download it

The dev originally posted the link HERE too, but it's broken now. However the last post in the thread is a link from a member that is still live. It's a .zip file, so use at your own risk as there is no feedback from others and you never know if anything was done to the file.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb