Delete Windows.old

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So sorry this might seem like a thread Hijack but it may be what the OP has already done. I have a recovery disk and a system image and I am considering getting rid of the Windows.old about 18 GIg and the windows temp install files and upgrade Log file which will give my little HP envy some more room about 1 Gig. What happens when you get the others 2 off as well. The recovery disk and/or image should be sufficient shouldn't it?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Will this mess up my system if I do this???

No.

So sorry this might seem like a thread Hijack but it may be what the OP has already done. I have a recovery disk and a system image and I am considering getting rid of the Windows.old about 18 GIg and the windows temp install files and upgrade Log file which will give my little HP envy some more room about 1 Gig. What happens when you get the others 2 off as well. The recovery disk and/or image should be sufficient shouldn't it?

Looks like you have what you need. you can safely nuke them all

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The one thing about it with Windows 10 is that even after using Disk Cleanup to remove this, you'll still have the (then non-functioning if you delete the files) "Windows Rollback" option in your boot loader. So just keep that in mind.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The one thing about it with Windows 10 is that even after using Disk Cleanup to remove this, you'll still have the (then non-functioning if you delete the files) "Windows Rollback" option in your boot loader. So just keep that in mind.

EasyUEFI will fix that if you are on a UEFI system. Otherwise afaik you can edit the boot options in windows itself. Remember this is dangerous and can brick your system completely, calling for a reinstall. Se also THIS

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
EasyUEFI will fix that if you are on a UEFI system. Otherwise afaik you can edit the boot options in windows itself. Remember this is dangerous and can brick your system completely, calling for a reinstall. Se also THIS

right click start, click run, type msconfig, choose Boot tab, click on line that reads Rollback and delete - done.
do this only if you are not using dualboot or do not plan on using that....

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Of course it's possible to change yourself. But it would make more sense if it was removed automatically, plus I wouldn't suggest editing it for users who don't know what they're doing.

That being said, Microsoft has mentioned that the bootloader entry is only temporary anyway, and that in future builds, it'll be part of the recovery environment and not a specific bootloader thing, so I guess it'd probably be a waste of effort for them to have disk cleanup remove it when it's a temporary thing anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte