Windows 10 Start Menu Broken Build 9926

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Laptop is on Build 9926 with latest updates. Start menu was working fine all the time until today it just does not launch...

Even the search bar/Cortana does not work. I cannot type anything into the bar.

Might just have to do a refresh :/

Also have problems with my Wifi... Even if a network is saved and I select "connect automatically", once the computer is restarted, the "connect automatically" box is deselected and I have to restart manually...

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Go to Action Center, and activate Tablet Mode. Try if Start Menu works and come back to "normal mode".
If don't work: Open PowerShell as Admin and try this:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

and press enter

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Go to Action Center, and activate Tablet Mode. Try if Start Menu works and come back to "normal mode".
If don't work: Open PowerShell as Admin and try this:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

and press enter

In my case, the notification center was also dud!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
this is my issue too, hopefully i will not have to reinstall windows as this will be very inconvenient.

​even after the update...

​what i think we should do is try to identify what is common in PCs/ Laptops that are having this issue, maybe we can solve it.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
anyone with a good idea how to solve this, tries all these methods, non worked for me.

​im still unable to access the start menu, launch any app from the task bar, nor the action center works.

Ricardo Zandonai

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
open task mananger and close search "magnifier icon" and run powoershell as a root
to do that i make win+r powershell.exe after open go in task bar click with other mouse buton inside powershell icon and run as a administrator and execute

Work to me =D

Sry for my bad english

Last edited:

sylau90

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ricardo, thanks for your solution. At least I got the powershell run through this time. But start menu, action center and modern app still don't work. (closing the search magnifier icon in task manager is the key for the script to be executed).

test.png

To help identify this issue in more specific way, I hope people can post what kind of hardware they are using.

mine is Lenovo y500: Intel core i7 3630, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 64bit windows 10

Hackashaq

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Thank you! The second method worked for me. I have start menu and action center back now. Only weird thing many of my start menu icons are blank, just colored squares. Calculator and flipboard are two examples.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
anyone with a good idea how to solve this, tries all these methods, non worked for me.

​im still unable to access the start menu, launch any app from the task bar, nor the action center works.

Seems like only an in-place reinstall fixes it. In my case, VirtualBox screwed things up twice.

hmmcclish

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I was able to get my start menu back with the following steps:

Launch the Registry Editor (hit the Windows key and R, type regedit, and then press Enter) and then navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ImmersiveShell\Launcher

Click Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience.
Double-click the newly created item and set the value to 0.
Click OK, close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer -- or just restart Explorer. (If you can still right-click on your start button, you can use Task Manager to restart Explorer.)

Source: I reversed the process found in this post about Continuum, the new version of the start menu.

betanews dot com/2014/11/14/how-to-enable-continuum-in-windows-10-technical-preview-build-9879/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3