Cortana and Windows 10

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I know there is a thread for what all you can do with Cortana on Windows Phone.

Has anyone been able to figure out exactly what Cortana can do on Windows 10 TP yet? It definitely doesn't have all the features that Phone 8.1 Cortana has, but I was wondering if there is some functionality I'm missing.

So far, I've been able to:
1. General Chit Chat: Jokes and non-productive stuff
2. Set reminders
3. Search the web via Bing

Can't dictate an email or text message, unless I'm doing it wrong. Can't launch apps or bring up settings that I can figure.

Setting reminders and searching is helpful, but I was hoping for a bit more on the productivity side than that. I know it will be coming in future updates, but what else am I missing now? Anyone know?

EDIT: Just found something new. I can say, "Open Excel", and she will provide a list of my Excel documents for me to choose. If I tell her to open a specific document, it results in a web search.

She will not do "Open Word, Open Powerpoint, etc." though. Can't get her to open any type of filename so far either.

Last edited:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's clear that Cortana on Windows 10 doesn't have full functionality, and because of it, I hasn't been useful at all really at this point. Obviously not worried as this will come and it is in developing stages.

The only thing semi productive I've gotten her to do was have her tell me the weather...haven't tried reminders and such. Every time I try to get her to send an email she says that there are no email accounts to be found which seems odd.

Like I said, not a big deal right now. It's just a sneak peek of what's to come

Vitor Correia2

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

As far as I also tested, you are correct. I found out that she will also open your default music app, if you ask her to play music, the app itself (my default app is xbox music) won't start playing by itself however.

I'm also hopping that she will do more stuff in the future, and that she will be expanded to other languages, I'm from Portugal so I want to use it in Portuguese (that goes also for my 1520 and my 1320).

Regards,
Vitor Correia

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I deleted my email accounts, and reset them up in the Mail app. After this, Cortana quit saying she could not find an email account. Now she says, "I can't do that now. Check back after future updates." So, obviously not implemented yet.

I forgot about the weather. Probably because my phone shows it when I first get up in the morning and hit snooze, so I've already got it.

I can't say she hasn't been useful. I can now do my web searches much faster than before. Although I can type pretty fast, it is still easier to speak it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs