Can I use my Microsoft Wireless HDMI Adapter with Windows 10 technical preview?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I know Miracast works over WiDi but that doesn't negate my point. For example, both my Toshiba Encore and my Roku Streaming Stick use Miracast/WiDi and they both do it using the same WiFi radio they use for WiFi lan connection, not with a separate radio, and they do it whilst maintaining a WiFi lan connection. That is why the widi signal in my setup is always on the same channel as the wifi (though it is not the same network). Just because widi uses a separate ID does not mean it must use a separate radio. Doesn't mean it can't of course, but it is not a requirement. Using the same radio does have disadvantages but it is possible.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I know Miracast works over WiDi but that doesn't negate my point. For example, both my Toshiba Encore and my Roku Streaming Stick use Miracast/WiDi and they both do it using the same WiFi radio they use for WiFi lan connection, not with a separate radio, and they do it whilst maintaining a WiFi lan connection. That is why the widi signal in my setup is always on the same channel as the wifi (though it is not the same network). Just because widi uses a separate ID does not mean it must use a separate radio. Doesn't mean it can't of course, but it is not a requirement. Using the same radio does have disadvantages but it is possible.

You're confusing WiDi with wifi direct. Widi and miracast are similar software solutions- they're identical but widi used to have USBoIP (it doesn't anymore) and widi is Intel closed source. Miracast is an open spec. The roku streaming stick has a wifi direct chipset- this is in fact the way in which the remote communicates with the unit. If your Toshiba encore supports Miracast, it has a wifi direct unit.

Miracast spec requires wifi direct. If you've managed to hack Miracast into working over a standard wifi connection, my understanding is that you cannot also use the same radio to connect to a router and get internet. Hence dedicated Wi-Fi direct chipsets.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You're confusing WiDi with wifi direct. The roku streaming stick has a wifi direct chipset- this is in fact the way in which the remote communicates with the unit. I'd your Toshiba encore supports Miracast, it has a wifi direct unit.
Wifi direct is not wifi. Miracast spec requires wifi direct.

Did you mean "WiFi" in the first sentence? "WiDi" sounds like it would mean WiFi Direct, although I've never heard that name before.

Edit: Bing is your friend... It means Wireless Display... which is news to me! I totally thought you coined a new term :)

Ahem... Carry on folks, nothing to see here!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
WiDi is indeed wireless display over WiFi direct (more usually called Miracast now), it is more complex than that (different names as standards evolved) but that'll do for a basic explanation. A radio can work on one frequency at a time (without using complex techniques not relevant here). It can connect to multiple devices also broadcasting on the same frequency. This is why Bluetooth can be used to connect two devices at once with only one radio in use on the receiver. Of course, the software needs to be in place to manage this, which means a capable WiFi driver needs to be used.

Of course, if you have a separate connection for your lan (different WiFi stick, or wifi radio, or a wired ethernet connection) then this issue disappears, except your receiver device (such as a Roku) may only have one radio which means the WiFi direct signal will still sit on the WiFi channel. This does lead to interference problems, and is most certainly not ideal. It is, however, possible.

Finding a suitable WiFi stick is not so easy however.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've got the Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2 coming from Amazon Tuesday. It IS Miracast and Wi-Di certified. I'll be projecting from my Flex 10 Win8.1 2in1, my Lumia 630 and this Android tab I also ordered. This is just the receiver that plugs into your HDMI input on the tv. They also have USB transmitters. But again as stated before, your chipset needs to support the Wi-Di protocol. In Win8+, you can find put if you can in the charms menu. Swipe, Devices then Project, and if you have an option to Add a Wireless Display, you're good to go. Here is a link to Actiontec's site & their Screembeam Wireless Display Kit. http://www.actiontec.com/298.html
It also shows the many system requirements.

I'll let you know how my Mini2 works on Tuesday. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss