10049 killed my SP3.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm just getting a black screen when I log in. I've tried the workaround of locking and logging back in, but still the black screen. I'm able to open task manager, but can't see how to get the app manager running again.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm just getting a black screen when I log in. I've tried the workaround of locking and logging back in, but still the black screen. I'm able to open task manager, but can't see how to get the app manager running again.

Killed....did you let it sit for a few hours to give time to settle????

on the black screen right click from mouse.....that is how I got mine to open/see the lock screen

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you can get Task Manager open, you should be able to launch a new Command Prompt window from there. If so, try just entering explorer.exe to see if it kicks it into life.

Yep. Tried that. Task bar and desktop flashed for an instant then disappeared again. Looks like I'm set for my second device refresh of the week and start all over.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Gabe seems to have left a detail out of his blog post for this workaround. He mentions getting task manager open, but nothing beyond that.

More here from an MS support guy:-
I see a blue screen when signing into Windows 10 Technical Preview - Microsoft Community

To work around this issue, lock your PC (with the hardware button, or by pressing the Windows Key + L) and try signing in again.

You can also try pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager, and then look for the lock screen (lockapp.windows.exe) listed in the processes with a “Suspended” status. Select the process and click End Task.

So now I'm at work and my SP3 is at home. I have to wait for 12 hours before I'm home and can try this...

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
10049 seems to be very buggy indeed. I'm probably going back to 10041 for now. I have no access to my SMB shares at all, the server is not even seen. Also Remote Desktop seems to be broken.

I'll skip this one.. Spartan can wait..

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I lost my Toshiba Satellite I3 to 10041. It turns on, but no screen at all. Not even the bios button works anymore. I set it to dual-boot and it was fine up until 10041. Now nothing. At the very least, I'm looking at a replacement drive but all my data may be lost for good. The thing is, I've installed beta's from Win 98 to Win 8.0. This is a new one of which there won't be much assistance out there to resolve.
Win some, lose some.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the laptop, sucks that you've lost data through this.

I've now reset back to Win 8.1 and then installed 10041 back again.I'll leave it running for a while and then attempt 10049 again. If it's still messed up on my machine, then I'll wait for the patched one on the slow ring. Shame, I really wanted to play with Spartan.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I hate it for you, but putting W10 TP on a $1000+ SP3 is kinda foolish... and using the fast ring updates I'd just asking for trouble.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not foolish if you read the warnings, have known-good backups and are happy with the risks. But fancy a play with the new stuff.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I hate it for you, but putting W10 TP on a $1000+ SP3 is kinda foolish... and using the fast ring updates I'd just asking for trouble.

I know what I'm doing. All my data is in the cloud, so nothing is lost. The only thing I really lose is time and I have plenty of that.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
10049 seems to be very buggy indeed. I'm probably going back to 10041 for now. I have no access to my SMB shares at all, the server is not even seen. Also Remote Desktop seems to be broken.

I'll skip this one.. Spartan can wait..

Well.. should have done some investigating before starting a rant I guess. ;)

10049 seems to have an issue with the GUI for networking devices. It defaults to DHCP which then break my Remote desktop ;) Fixed that by setting static using netsh (the properties button in the NIC settings GUI is grayed out).

Then there seems to be a problem with SMB/linux boxes currently, the given name is not seen, I needed to add the NAS IP to the hosts file after which it was fine.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the laptop, sucks that you've lost data through this.

I've now reset back to Win 8.1 and then installed 10041 back again.I'll leave it running for a while and then attempt 10049 again. If it's still messed up on my machine, then I'll wait for the patched one on the slow ring. Shame, I really wanted to play with Spartan.

When I get some time, I'll get on my grind to see if I can get this fixed. I've played with Spartan on my desktop though. Its nice and very beta. You'll know it when you come here and try to post. The backspace button bounces you out of the comment box and flips back a page. The other thing that happened to me is in the middle of one of my longish comments, the page simply refreshed. All my text was gone AND the stuff I copied to the clipboard was also gone. So be aware of where you are if you are using it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'll skip the build and stick on the slow ring then, thanks for this feedback. Build 10041 wasn't too bad for me.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
First of all why would you put an experimental OS on an active computer that you regularly use? I used an old laptop from 2010 for my W10 install.
Second of all you shouldn't be running W10 unless you know how to install windows from scratch. If I need my laptop back I know how to install W7 and W8.1 from scratch.

Yes I could install it on my main computer, but since I don't believe in upgrades (upgrading windows always has nasty side effects), I would need to wipe it to install W10 preview AND again to install W10 final. No thanks! I'll wait for W10 final.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3