Poll: Is Project Spartan a fast Web Browser?

ManOfActions

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I?ve been using Project Spartan since yesterday as my main browser, now I know this is a very early beta, but I found the browser slower than say Chrome when loading pages. To be specific, pages with a lot of pictures like Windows Central takes longer to load. So my question is this: what do you think of this early build of project Spartan is it what you were expecting?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
TBH I wasn't expecting as much as we got, it is slower on certain sites but this is an early build of it and considering it can be updated via the Store I'm sure it will be improved a lot before release.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I also been using Spartan full time...I find that there is not much of difference between Spartan, IE and Chrome....Just for heck of it I just fired up Chrome for the first time in a long time and it took longer to load window central....But when it is warmed up it is kind of fast and so is Spartan and IE.

So, NO difference for me.. It is all the same for loading Windows Central

Also it is way too early for a poll on that subject as IE and Chrome have been running so many years...and they are, kind of, mature

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
just some quick tests and it flies for me (in a virtual install, on a mac) compared to firefox and chrome on the same mac. Left my SP2 at home, so I can't compare right now with windows 8.1

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
just some quick tests and it flies for me (in a virtual install, on a mac) compared to firefox and chrome on the same mac. Left my SP2 at home, so I can't compare right now with windows 8.1

and I would also say it all depends of the speed of a computer..........

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows Central is one of the slowest sites to load in general. The only other site that I use regularly that is just as slow is att.com.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ManOfActions

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I'm comparing the 2 browsers using the same computer on the same network with the same website. But sure, I guess if my laptop was more powerful maybe I would get a different result. This is why I am asking.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
and I would also say it all depends of the speed of a computer..........
to an extent, yes, but my virtual settings are locking my w10 install to only 2 cores (my imac has an i7 and 4 + hyperthreading) so, it says a lot when my virtual instance feels faster than the native os.

ryanchase12

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
On my desktop I found Spartan to be faster and lighter than chrome ie and Firefox. Chrome is really heavy compared to Spartan and really eats your cpu. So I guess yeah Spartan is faster than chrome ie and Firefox. ( don't know about other browsers like maxathon cause haven't compared with those)

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, it works superb in my laptop. Maybe it's the specs, I don't know. Ironically only wincentral is the only site giving my issues and wow the ads, ie 11 was blocking some so didn't know there were ads right between the posts in forum as well. Wincetral Slow and hangs up the browser too much. Heck where I was unable to use cnet on ie11, works fluidly here on Spartan. I am sure missing my Hp Simplepass integration with fingerprint login. Let's see what future builds have for us.
Also can any one tell me, whether Spartan will be updated through store or through new builds.

marbig

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to try Spartan... Just waiting on me figuring out how to stop the constant blue screening when I run W10TP.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been having some serious issues with transition in Spartan. Overall it's been a really choppy,clumsy, sluggish experience. It's too early to tell so I'll reserve judgement but it definitely needs work. I doubt it's my configuration because I'm running their hardware (SP3) that I'm almost certain they've been using during testing. I'm sure the issues will be resolved and am excited to experience the finished (or near-finished) product but until then I'm probably going to stop using Spartan.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows Central is one of the slowest sites to load in general. The only other site that I use regularly that is just as slow is att.com.

Yea, tons of graphics and ads, OMG. I know they gota make money but, If I didn't like WP, I would not even come to this site any more because of the performance of it.

In fact, on a slower computer (dual core intel), I try to come to this site, it will just crash IE, sometimes it load other times it will crash. If it loads, it's about 5 min before you can do anything, after all the ads load...

Even on a new i7 with 32gb of ram and a SSD, it still performs like crap...

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The only tab I had trouble with using Spartan was Windows Central. It was constantly loading and wouldn't even close. One bug I've noticed so for is the back arrow is slow, sometimes seemingly unresponsive.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Spartan uses a fraction of what IE11 uses.
IE11 was at 216mb while Spartan is at 33.9mb just on this thread.

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I finally got it up and running today. It initially kept wanting to close on me, but now that it is staying open it works really well. It is quick enough. I usually use Chrome but it compares favorably to it.
So far can't say whether I like it better than IE. The interface is less busy than IE and reading mode is really nice. I haven't tried the new Web Note feature yet, but think this is a worthy successor to IE (glad that name is going away).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3