Tablet Mode still not good enough. (Build 10074)

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 "Experience" on my Surface Pro 3 is still somewhat worse and downgraded compared to my stock 8.1

So here's some:

>SUGGESTIONS to further improve Windows 10 "Tablet Mode" starting from build 10074:

?Permanently hideable taskbar option while in Tablet Mode, for a real full-screen immersive experience like 8.1 (option to be: Hidden on Boot, and it should be visible with a simple "swipe-up from bottom" gesture, and hidden again with the same swipe);

?Full Screen / Metro Edge Toggle: for a real immersive experience like Metro.IE11 on 8.1 (full content only, no taskbar, nav bar and tabs only show with a swipe gesture from upper bezel);

?Bring back pages swipes "Back/Forward" in Edge like it is now with Metro.IE11 on 8.1;

?IE TPLs (Tracking Protection Lists) compatible with Edge by RTM: even if we have to wait for real extensions, I will refuse myself to use a browser without a decent form of Advertising/Popup-blocking and Privacy/Tracking protection. I need "EasyList" "EasyPrivacy" and "******" TPLs at least fully working with Edge by RTM;

?Improve App Switching gestures, for example: quick swipe from left edge to right -> Flip recents apps, like 8.1 ; while swiping from left edge to right, holding, and then swipe back to the left -> open the new Task View and App Switcher (instead of old 8.1 "Apps list Charm", but same gesture);

?Re-style ALL Windows 10 icons: the 10074 ones are still TERRIBLE. Very vary badly designed, and distracting to look at. I already know a lot of people that won't upgrade their OSes just for the bad look of them (considering they spent 8+ hours a day looking at them, they're not to blame). Flat design on the whole OS is ok, but it needs to be elegant and polished, and not just created in 5 minutes with MS Paint. 8.1 icons set is so much elegant and refined right now.

If you agree with me, go HERE , and cast your +3 Vote.

Or go THERE and Discuss it with the official Insiders Community.

Thank you

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep it still sucks, and at this point the whole argument of don't complain because it's Beta needs to go out the window since even Joe B said we are not going to see many changes from now to RTM only bug fixes and a little polish.

Right now that stupid taskbar and the lack of full screen web browsing are my biggest issues.

And NO before someone brings it up putting the Taskbar on Autohide does not work. Autohide is buggy and either the taskbar sticks around to long or doesn't come up when you want it.

It needs to work like charms did where you swipe up manually to pull up the taskbar and then you can swipe down manually to get rid of it.

Last edited:

fbales

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I enjoyed the desktop Windows 10 preview so much I decided to put it on my Toshiba Encore 2 8" tablet. That was a BIG mistake. It has nearly junked my tablet. Nothing seems to work as it should. I'm hoping things improve, but considering the previous posts, I'm not too optimistic.

I was planning to buy a Surface Pro 4 when released, but I may now get a Surface Pro 3 just so I can keep Windows 8.1. Kinda frustrating.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Quoting the Insider program info.

If you have a touch PC Insider Preview works with touch, but some things will be rough and unfinished. More touch-friendly improvements are on the way. In the meantime, let us know what it’s like to interact with Windows and apps in the preview.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this 1 year ago.

Build 10074/1012x are very close to Final.
And much many more Tablet/Touch improvements are still needed and not present even at this very final stage of development.

No, its still on the site and still applies. There's still a boatload to do.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Impossible to expect them to fix the tablet mode even in the next 12 months. It is so far away from being anything useable on a touch screen device that it blows my mind they are even going to sell tablets with Windows 10 on them (but hey I guess they sold tablets with Windows 7 and Vista as well). I feel so much sadness knowing there are going to be Windows 8 tablet users who unknowingly update to Windows 10 only to discover how much of a massive downgrade it is. And knowing that I may not be able to buy a new Windows tablet for years is so depressing. I really hope someone comes up with a way to easily install Windows 8.1 on new tablets.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this 1 year ago.

Build 10074/1012x are very close to Final.
And much many more Tablet/Touch improvements are still needed and not present even at this very final stage of development.

Ugh! I came to check on the tablet mode progress and it's still in a state of disarray.

There's no way I install this on my SP3 again. ALL the swipe gestures in 8.1 are incredibly useful. It seems the feedback I left (among others) has still yet to be addressed.

Guess I'll be running 8.1 as long as I can (just like XP).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss