Build 10159 Key Not Activating + Upgrade to Windows 10 clarification

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I am a bit confused on the whole upgrade situation with windows 10 and product keys. I was hoping to get some clarification.

So I installed insider preview of Windows 10 from a genuine 8.1 pro on a laptop. I first installed 10074, then 10130, then 10158 now 10159. I noticed it was running very slow and laggy from all the upgrades and installations (+previous use). So I decided to do a clean install. I chose the option to wipe out all my files and then chose the "remove files and clean the drive" option that would take longer. Once the OS booted I could not change any of my settings and it said "Windows is not activated" I went to go activate windows and the product key wasn't valid. The last part of the key started with "78XXX" Which is weird since you don't need to activate Insider Previews because they already come pre-keyed. So I did a google search and found the product key that Microsoft is giving everyone for Insider Previews. This key didn't match the one that was listed on my computer nor did it match the 8.1 pro key I have. I have no idea where it came from. I punched in the correct key for MS Insider Previews and it works fine now.

But my problem is this. Now that I have a fresh copy of Insider Preview 10159 how will Windows know I was running a genuine version of Windows 8.1 when upgrade time comes? How will it be able to "see" my old version of windows 8.1 was genuine and I wasn't using a non-genuine or pirated version? I understand when you upgrade from a genuine 7 or 8.1 Microsoft will log that into the system and you will be given installation media (ISO) to do a clean install.

I guess the safe bet would be to do a clean install of windows 8.1 pro again a few days before July 29 (assuming my product key will still work) and then upgrade to 10 Pro and then I could clean install if needed.

Thanks for any help.

thymournia

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Okay, this has helped some people on the redditt forums. Try punching in a new product key. Try these.

For Windows 10 Insider Preview Home Editions: KTNPV-KTRK4-3RRR8-39X6W-W44T3
For Windows 10 Insider Preview Pro Editions: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV
For Windows 10 Insider Preview Enterprise Editions: CKFK9-QNGF2-D34FM-99QX2-8XC4K

Also, if that doesn't work, press win + R to bring up the Run command. Than type in slui.exe and punch the windows 10 keys in there.

thymournia

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
For Windows 10 Insider Preview Home Editions: KTNPV-KTRK4-3RRR8-39X6W-W44T3
For Windows 10 Insider Preview Pro Editions: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV
For Windows 10 Insider Preview Enterprise Editions: CKFK9-QNGF2-D34FM-99QX2-8XC4K

Also, if that doesn't work, press win + R to bring up the Run command. Than type in slui.exe and punch the windows 10 keys in there.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Same happening to me, from 10130 for some reason after finishing upgrade process Windows is not activated and initally was fine with generic key from windows insider instructions but with latest releases this generic key not working. Just to mention that generic key is not the same as in previous post. I will try this one later today, maybe will work.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I reverted back to 8.1 Pro with my old product key. Im curious how windows will know that I had a licensed version of 8.1 pro if I upgrade to insider preview, then do a clean install of insider preview...I might just stay with 8.1 pro on all devices right now to be safe.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Luminous, have you tried change the product key option under system in control panel?

I used to dual boot and therefore haven't tried this option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism