Anyone else considering installing 10162 on their Daily Driver?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it's been running rock solid the last two builds on my laptop and was about 80% stable before that has me seriously considering it. Toss in the fact that I'll get it day one if I enroll my desktop in TP and would love to receive early features after it goes RTM and I'm definitely considering either this build or one of the next few.

Is anyone else feeling comfortable enough to jump into the Insider program with their main machine yet? Feeling lucky? As always, backup backup backup!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I probably would if I weren't about to build a new PC. I'd rather get all the stability testing (cause i overclock, gaming rig) done on a stable 8.1. Maybe in a week or two...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been using it on my primary work PC (Surface Pro 3) since build 10130. Been great

I'm going to quote you here...LOL. I tried an early build on my Surface Pro 3 and it was horrid. I am running it at work and it has been good. I am more scared about the lack of placeholders in OneDrive but I'll learn to adapt.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to quote you here...LOL. I tried an early build on my Surface Pro 3 and it was horrid. I am running it at work and it has been good. I am more scared about the lack of placeholders in OneDrive but I'll learn to adapt.

I've also been using it on my Surface Pro 3 and it's been Solid since 10130.

hydrosmith

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe not my daily driver but I use it a lot and that is my Yoga tab 2 8in. Going to install build 162 later today when the battery gets to full and I will try to do it from a usb stick.

pbike908

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
10162 is really stable, fluid, and totally usable as a daily driver for me. I have pretty much been running Windows 10 as my daily driver for a few months. I only have one computer that I use regularly, a 2.5 year old laptop. I set it up dual boot -- Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 TP. I have rarely used the Windows 8.1. The biggest hassle I foresee blowing away an older OS and only using Windows 10 TP is that Win 10 TP update is a little flaky and I have had to resort to installing a new Windows 10 build from the ISO a couple of times. This means one has to reinstall all desktop apps and configure all settings again. Not a big deal if you use OneDrive for all your data files -- but if one doesn't have their entire OneDrive synched to another PC one could be playing with fire with their data unless it is regularly backed up unless one has total faith in OneDrive cloud. So to make a long story short, I recommend that you do a dual boot on your daily driver like I do (one can find instructions on line). As an FYI I only have a 500 GB hard drive and my Windows 10TP partition is about 100 GB. I have yet to "reserve" my Windows 10 Upgrade on my Windows 8.1 partition.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As my main PC is my only PC (no laptop etc...just a phone and Surface 2), I haven't been involved in the TP. I did put the 1st build way back on here, but rolled back within a couple days. Decided to take the plunge again with the release (and comments) on 10162.

After some initial concerns over some "funkiness" immediately after setup/update (slow, crashes etc) things seem to have calmed down and 10162 appears to be running as well as 8.1 for me. This is on an old Dell XPS (6-7 years) Q6600 system.

My biggest "problem"? It will be a while before LastPass (and some form of ad-blocking) works with Edge.

So...It looks like Windows 10 is here to stay for me.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
OK...here I go then! :) I normally like clean installs but going to try the UPGRADE...

OK...I did it...and it runs well...thanks for the tips...as expected, OneDrive stinks...I do not 1:1 syncing...and I noticed that you can't save an Office document to OneDrive...it tries to save to the OneDrive directory and I do not have it synced. It won't save directly to OneDrive. :(

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I've got Win10TP on my daily driver (Dell Latitude E4200, SU9600 C2D 1.6 GHZ) ever since 10130. I've had some hiccups, mostly screen wonkiness when it gets hot. FWIW, I've had those same issues on Win 7 Pro, too. Not on Linux (separate SSD). It's been over 90 F for the past two weeks where I live and no AC. I'm trying CPUgenie to see if I can lower my voltages and gain some GPU stability. I wish the fan would run faster, but people complained to Dell and they lowered the fan speed.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i put 10 on my laptop. starting when 10130 came out. just updated to 10162 this morning and still notice lag issues. explorer shell became unresponsive... couldnt click any thing in the task bar, start button. jad to hold the power button down and hard boot. happened twice now.

jive_inc

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I am running it on my work desktop, home desktop and my SP3 which I am typing on now. The only real "issue" has been the fan turns on a lot on my SP3.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm one week on insider previews on my main PC and I'm not having any major issue
(I'm having small minor issues which have already been reported).

W10 even with an ancient primary Samsung HDD that I have,
IS faster by a large margin than W8.1 (especially on the system-wide searches)
Also as crazy as it might sound,
GTA V is running 5fps faster than on W8.1 with the exact same things running on the background.

Another part I like is the installing process..
From the time you accept the installation of W10 to begin, you can leave the pc open,
do whatever you want to do and when you come back,
your PC will be waiting for you in the desktop with all of your installed
apps/documents/folders/pinned start icons etc. being exactly where you left them.

Also I strangely find myself using tablet mode on the desktop PC!
I don't know, something clicks in me while using tablet mode. It is very clean and right on task.. (especially for playing spider solitaire) :p

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
well, THAT didn't work! Got finished with CPUgenie, came back from church, and nothing but BSOD. Booted into safe mode and deleted that program. Everything's OK now. I'm thinking I might make a fan base for it.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a daily driver consumption tablet that I've been using 10 on since 10122. It's been an up-and-down experience and has been better since 10149. Right now though, 10162 is a dream.

My desktop is still on 8.1, but the stakes are a bit higher on that one. I'll probably wait a few months before I install it on there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3