Windows 10 is nowhere near ready for RTM! 10162 problems

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
It is July 6th already and the release date is only about 3 weeks away. The latest build has me worried that Windows is not even close to be ready to manufacture to OEMs and release to the general public. I noticed so many bugs on 10162 just from playing with it for a day or so and just doing LIGHT usage. No gaming, no video rendering or watching, no photoshoping or word processing etc.

Here is a bunch of issues I found off the bat, they didn't happen everytime.

-Start button freezes or doesn't work at times
-Start menu stays stuck on normal view (not fullscreen) when I enter tablet mode, until restart
-tiles overlap and are off center on full screen start
-some tiles don't work after the first click, takes a few clicks
-display driver stops responding and then recovers error message like all the time
-Edge has bugs, freezes etc
-A lot of CPU usage compared to 8.1 even when idle.
-Cortana doesn't respond to hey cortana sometimes
-Cortana crashes
-Cortana cant take notes
-Notification center fails to appear on click sometimes
-Notification buttons on the bottom missing (blank) sometimes

This is a lot of problems for a build so close to the end. I really like windows 10 and have high hopes for it but this is discouraging to say the least.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have none of those issue with this build. Absolutely none of them. If you want to talk about the folly of Edge, then you'd be onto something but I will give you this, and I can't say its MS or Steam but one game I play a lot is Cities: Skylines. It will not play for me. But Photoshop and most everything else works.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I also have none of them. But even with those issues they can send the OS to manufacturers and push an essential update to install on the first boot, since they are in charge of the installing updates from now on, and solve any issues that insiders discover during the period between manufacturing and sale.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Another one without issues here. I've been playing with it for about 4 days, and it has been the most stable of all the builds.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't have any of the issues either.
Regarding this one: "Notification buttons on the bottom missing (blank) sometimes" - once or twice they took a few seconds to appear (3-5 seconds).
I installed it as soon as it was released and I'm finding it very stable

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having these issues. I just get random Wifi adapter dropouts, but everything else is stable. Battery life is as amazing as it was on 8.1 on my tablet. I left it on unplugged last night and I still have 70% battery which is much better than 10149 where I'd wake up to a dead battery icon if I forgot to plug the tablet in overnight.

The only annoying things that still need to be fixed are apps needing to be updated and the niggling storage issues surrounding One Drive and saving modern apps to secondary storage.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
For the record and it has been the history of almost all versions of Microsoft Windows, if there are ANY memory issues with anything on your computer, Windows will almost always find them. You'll know it by how it operates on your device. Now, not saying this is your particular issue but if you have something plugged in, a bad video card, memory problems, anything the os doesn't like, you'll know it.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
For the record and it has been the history of almost all versions of Microsoft Windows, if there are ANY memory issues with anything on your computer, Windows will almost always find them. You'll know it by how it operates on your device. Now, not saying this is your particular issue but if you have something plugged in, a bad video card, memory problems, anything the os doesn't like, you'll know it.

Wow guys, now I look like a total ***...the only one whose having so many problems with windows 10. Obviously im not making them up. Here is a screen shot of the tiles being all messed up when I switch to tablet mode. And that damn driver error message comes up every time but ive since turned it off. I don't know whats going on with my device it ran fine on windows 8.1. It is a 2010 Dell Inspiron 7010 17" laptop with Core i5 2.53GHz, 6GB RAM, 64-bit, 1TB HD. It shouldn't have too many issues running windows 10 as it meets all system requirements but who knows. The fact that most people aren't having these problems concerns me more because they might not get fixed. We'll see what future builds offer and RTM of course. Thanks for sharing and all your input.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like yours may be a driver issue. As I said before, I can't play Cities:Skylines because of a "video" driver issue. Until that's fixed, I won't bother with upgrading. To me its not worth it for me to make Microsoft happy and the expense of what I use my computer to do. Its not worth it. I suspect it will be resolved but if it isn't resolved by the 29th of this month, I don't see moving to WinX.
For you, I can't understand why you need tablet mode on a laptop unless your rig has a detachable screen. But I really haven't looked into what the design of tablet mode supposed to be. Its not something talked about on the main board so I'm pretty much in the dark about it.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like yours may be a driver issue. As I said before, I can't play Cities:Skylines because of a "video" driver issue. Until that's fixed, I won't bother with upgrading. To me its not worth it for me to make Microsoft happy and the expense of what I use my computer to do. Its not worth it. I suspect it will be resolved but if it isn't resolved by the 29th of this month, I don't see moving to WinX.
For you, I can't understand why you need tablet mode on a laptop unless your rig has a detachable screen. But I really haven't looked into what the design of tablet mode supposed to be. Its not something talked about on the main board so I'm pretty much in the dark about it.

I don't need tablet mode, its just one issue I was pointing out. Even so it should work just fine regardless. I will however need tablet mode on my surface pro 2 which if these issues are device dependent then the surface should have no problems.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Like me saying, I have a pair a really nice dress shoes but I'm hate it that I can't wear them playing tennis. I didn't read that you had trouble on your Surface, but on your laptop, where you don't need it. So I'm going to back out of this thread because I don't understand now.
I was speaking to:

"Here is a bunch of issues I found off the bat, they didn't happen everytime.

-Start button freezes or doesn't work at times
-Start menu stays stuck on normal view (not fullscreen) when I enter tablet mode, until restart
-tiles overlap and are off center on full screen start
-some tiles don't work after the first click, takes a few clicks
-display driver stops responding and then recovers error message like all the time
-Edge has bugs, freezes etc
-A lot of CPU usage compared to 8.1 even when idle.
-Cortana doesn't respond to hey cortana sometimes
-Cortana crashes
-Cortana cant take notes
-Notification center fails to appear on click sometimes
-Notification buttons on the bottom missing (blank) sometimes"

You post a picture of tablet mode. You either have a really bad install or some driver issue. I'd deal with that first since not many of us has checked in with the same issues as those.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I only agree with one thing, which is Edge. Edge is still unstable, and usually does weird things when i am on windows central forums writing comments.

kevcole1

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Have to admit i have noticed alot of the same issues with my build 10162 on my Lenovo laptop with Intel display drivers. I have also noticed that the corners overlap etc as well.

Edge performs okay, seems to be quite fast in rendering web pages, but seems a bit spartan lol.

I am currently on the slow ring, but i am contemplating going to fast, seeing as it is now RTM shortly. I would assume that a lot of the bugs will now reduce as it nears the finish line.

Can any one confirm how many fast ring updates are coming in any given week? Also, does it update in 'bites' or does it down load the entire os which would then be installed.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I am going to wait a while to upgrade my pc to a point where I know it is stable enough running on similar hardware configurations. Also considering the fact that some bugs will always be present even after RTM and never get fixed because not many are affected by it, don't bother. When I factory reset my laptop to windows 8, one pesky bug was IE never attempting to fill passwords for me and the issue continued to 8.1 and 8.1 update and also very slow restart that persists till date for me.
All in all, it is best to have a suitable hardware that just works with win 10. Mine never worked for Cortana speech features even with the very last build that I used.

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I know that you're not making up the start button freeze, I had that problem last build, but the new build 10162 fixed it for me. Other than that, everything has been working really good. None of those issues I have anymore after the latest update.

pbike908

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Lumnious, Did you do a clean install from ISO's or an install via Windows Update??? If you haven't then I suggest a clean install from the ISOs. I have been using 10162 on a 2.5 year old I5 laptop with Intel 4000 graphics and have had only a few "nuisance" issues which aren't deal breakers for me, however, they are obvious enough that they shouldn't appear in a release copy. I too share your concern that Windows 10 isn't/won't be ready for a wide scale release due to "nuisance" bugs but I think it will probably be workable for 99% of the folks out there. I think Microsoft will get a lot of bad PR since it isn't acceptable to release a major OS anymore with these types of issues like it was 10 or 20 years ago. Nonetheless, I think WIndows 10 has a strong future if it doesn't get a bad rap for a buggy initial release. I also suspect that it will work better with new computers as there are simply too many combinations of legacy computers out there going back to the release of Windows 7.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I only agree with one thing, which is Edge. Edge is still unstable, and usually does weird things when i am on windows central forums writing comments.

Agreed. Edge is unstable and because you can't block ads, numbering in the hundreds on this site, serve to confuse the heck out of Edge. I had to drop Edge as my default browser for Firefox. The broken E icon represents Edge well because its broke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros