Edge is awful

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I am running build 1040 and the Edge browser is just dire. I cannot believe we are so close to official release and t still feels like a crock of ****.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
10240 right? Eh what's so awful about it? Perhaps I can check if I can replicate the issues lol

(Currently not using Edge full time until we get extension support)

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Very buggy. pop-up windows never remember the size you want them and they take a surprisingly long time to load. The scroll wheel on my mouse jumps far too far down the page with just one turn. Ads screw it up.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Just fired mine up and it doesn't seem to be as slow as yours or jumpy. Had some long loading times with one or two tabs, but it wasn't that bad.. the ads are annoying tho

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've use Edge since it was Project Spartan and it has improved a lot. It is far from awful. It is fast and I haven't had issues. I do want extentions like most. I have trouble typing in Edge. Still far from awful.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've use Edge since it was Project Spartan and it has improved a lot. It is far from awful. It is fast and I haven't had issues. I do want extentions like most. I have trouble typing in Edge. Still far from awful.

It is definitely not awful but is not awesome. On WM10 if you side by side Edge and IE on WP8.1 IE typically brings a page up around the same time. But the Edge page is slower to become available to interact with. Edge renders sites better.

Hopefully it will improve as is beta software at best.

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

That's another thing that makes it awful. A basic interaction doesn't work properly after several months. WTF.

Basically I find it so bad as to be unusable. Firefox is a breathe of fresh air.

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Something else i dont like - with firefox I can highlight a word and right click and select to search google for it. You cannot do anything like that in Edge you have to copy and paste....

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
what is awful about it? Its still in preview, it hasn't been officially released yet.

Extensions are coming and you can use PeerBlock 1.2 to block ads in Edge.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I am having loads of problems with Edge as well. I actually still prefer to use IE over Edge! It is faster and more reliable on many sites than Edge. I can't believe im saying that IE is better than Edge, jesus! With Edge you cant even resize the favorites bar like with IE, and it has to stay on the right side of the screen. Edge gets stuck on Twitter and Facebook a lot and it is just downright unusable on this site, it's so damn slow. I hope it gets a lot better.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not mad at ya OP. I agree. Edge is a work in progress and not to replace any other browser you currently use. I've tried to use it repeatedly and its affected by too much of what goes on the interwebs. Ads outright destroy Edge. Browser controls for message boards such as Windows Central give it fits constantly and its been that way since we got it. 101240 functions exactly the same way its always has and I worry its going to get KILLED on the blogs beginning Wednesday morning. No ad block? No paste to search. No paste and go? No plug-ins. Seriously? In 2015?? The best this browser is good for is downloading other browsers but it should NOT be a showcase. Not in this build for sure. Its too young yet.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You can select it and right click it and select 'Ask Cortana'. Literally same thing except it doesn't open a new page and it uses Bing, both of which I prefer.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Edge still needs a lot of improvement, but it's not terrible. It's better than Internet Explorer, at least.
I'm waiting for a lot of performance improvements, extensions, more customization, and quicker ways to do the normal things we all do (like search stuff). I've been using it as my primary browser and there are some really annoying factors but I'm not hating it. And it does look slick (besides the FRUSTRATING address bar which is curved on the right side...MICROSOFT I hate you for curving the right side of the address bar more than anything else you've ever done...well maybe not everything. BUT STILL...ahem).

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
How does it compare to:

1) IE?
2) FF?
3) Chrome?

I have not tried it yet, but I would think it would be amazing after watching what the competition does....

I am running build 1040 and the Edge browser is just dire. I cannot believe we are so close to official release and t still feels like a crock of ****.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Edge still needs a lot of improvement, but it's not terrible. It's better than Internet Explorer, at least.
I'm waiting for a lot of performance improvements, extensions, more customization, and quicker ways to do the normal things we all do (like search stuff). I've been using it as my primary browser and there are some really annoying factors but I'm not hating it. And it does look slick (besides the FRUSTRATING address bar which is curved on the right side...MICROSOFT I hate you for curving the right side of the address bar more than anything else you've ever done...well maybe not everything. BUT STILL...ahem).

I seriously disagree that its better than IE. Certainly not better than IE 11.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
How does it compare to:

1) IE?
2) FF?
3) Chrome?

I have not tried it yet, but I would think it would be amazing after watching what the competition does....

I'll tell you what they'll do, approve the vacations of those developers. Edge is nothing to worry about for them, at least not right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3