Windows 9 Start Menu = Windows Phone

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So, maybe this is painfully obvious but it just occurred to me after reading this article: Classic Windows 7 features make appearance in test builds of Windows 8.1 successor, and looking at this image:

startmenu.jpg

It occurred to me that the new start screen on Windows 9 "Threshold" is basically a Windows Phone screen. Apps, live tiles, hubs (if they hang onto that great idea somehow) and everything else you expect from a WP device in a phone-shaped portrait layout. Instead of swiping right to the app list it's there to the left in the old school Win7 tree, but could be adapted to be more WP8 like (and WP9 being adapted to be more Win7/Win9 like).

Once apps are universal it might present a much more compelling argument for app developers if the tiles concept is synergistic here in Win9 with the WP9 start screen. Wouldn't every weather app developer want a awesome live tile based app that lives on everyone's start menu? Sports? News?

These tiles could replace the old Windows start menu idea of a library with a hub which is extensible and available to app developers. Your old "Photos" library could become the photos hub tile with Instagram and Tumblr hooked into it showing photo updates from social. You could have a "Music" library that's replaced by your favorite music app, Spotify, Beats, iTunes, Xbox Music (ha!) that's constantly updating you on new content or social playlist updates.

I suppose this isn't revolutionary since a similar scenario was partially true for Win8 (few universal apps, no hubs), but if desktop users who weren't spending time on the Metro start screen now start using tiles daily it could change the landscape a lot for Windows Phone and Windows Store apps in general. I think the big requirement will be that launching an app on WP9 from a live tile and launching an app from a Win9 live tile take you into a very similar experience on both devices, just optimized for the different screen size and input methods. Tough to do, but it seems like it would be a big step in making that seamless transition from PC to phone a reality. MS's first party apps would need to lead the way here, something that hasn't been successful so far.

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts? Am I just stating the obvious here or am I missing some more fundamental themes of the "Threshold" strategy? Maybe I'm vastly over simplifying things. Please weigh in.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nadella said in profit call today that next year there will be only one core OS for all devices regardless of screen, WP9 is going to be so cool.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm counting on. Desktop and Metro will merge, giving you a fantastic-looking desktop, or a functional Modern Win9.

Things I'll count on:
-Metrofication of Desktop (Flatter design, less chrome.)
-Office-style windows for all programs (Long overdue.)
-Much better IE on desktop (that doesn't feel half-assed)

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
That made me think, what if that tile section was made to mirror your phone's start screen?

Eh, not a fan of that. Most of my phone tiles - phone, messages, navigation, camera, alarm - aren't really appropriate for my desktop. I think having universal apps that share a service and sync content/history across devices is good enough. I want the music tile on my desktop to remember where I was on my phone, but I don't really want a mirror for all tiles.

That syncing needs to be pretty bullet proof though.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've heard enough people say that if they see even the slightest hint of phone UI on their desktop they are leaving Windows forever.

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Isn't there already a hint of WP UI on Windows 8.1? They got live tiles already. I used to think Windows 8 was a huge mistake but now that I finally got it I love it!

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I've heard enough people say that if they see even the slightest hint of phone UI on their desktop they are leaving Windows forever.

That's a bizarre statement considering the start screen on Windows 8 is all live tiles and Windows store apps have similar action bars at the bottom of the screen as just two examples.

Plus Cortana is coming along with universal apps.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, it's gonna just merge the metro and desktop onto one screen. You can already run metro apps on the desktop in windows 8.1 spring update. It makes perfect sense.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Haven't seen any other sites retract, so just wondering if Paul was talking out his ***.

Except it would make sense that it wouldn't be done. They're slating it for release early next year. If it was anywhere near done right now, it wouldn't be slated for release NEXT YEAR. At best, that's a concept of what might possibly be. The biggest clue that it is probably just that is that this is pretty much the same thing that was released as a potential concept at Build. Seriously, they changed the tiles and that's it. :|

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs