Visit site
Was Microsoft trying to break the curse? 98, me, XP, vista, 7, 8, --- 10

Last edited by a moderator:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: windows 10

I don't blame them, 10 sounds better.
but then again the 9 gap, how would that work.
I guess you could argue WP 8.1 is 9 and Windows 8.1 could be 9, but ehhh.

I just love the Windows One being already done joke was tossed in there.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: windows 10

I dont know... I kinda like it....
I know the Apple Fanners are going to have a field day comparing this to OSX but... Windows X, WP X, Xbox One.... kinda cool IMO.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Welcome Windows 10

No and that's not the point. We just need quality and popular apps.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

iambox

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
And we say hello to a new family. Metro-style apps will not be seen as beautiful in windows as they are designed for fullscreen, and desktop apps still has to be beside them. This is separation at its finest

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Have they gave any explanation why they've skipped 9?
I think this gap leaves negative feeling: something went wrong with v9 and they've closed it; inconsistency; mess within the company; you name it.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
So finally we have the unified OS windows 10. would this close down the app gap finally?:love:

Yes it will result in a closure of the app gap since MS said its one code base now and they are targeting an easier way to develop apps for all form factors with one store for all apps.

It may also result in better apps as a developer only has to write the app once and debug one set of code not two or three.

Did they get rid of the metro only part and merge it into the desktop start menu?

The modern UI is still there but the bull start screen will be there for touch only and convertible devices unless you opt for the start screen in settings. its formfactor dependent
desktops = start menu
surface = start screen and start menu. Depends on if its in laptop mode (type cover case) = start menu or tablet mode (type cover off touch only mode) = start screen and full screen apps.
tablets = start screen.
phones = start screen no desktop.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes it will result in a closure of the app gap since MS said its one code base now and they are targeting an easier way to develop apps for all form factors with one store for all apps.

It may also result in better apps as a developer only has to write the app once and debug one set of code not two or three.

The modern UI is still there but the bull start screen will be there for touch only and convertible devices unless you opt for the start screen in settings. its formfactor dependent

desktops = start menu

surface = start screen and start menu. Depends on if its in laptop mode (type cover case) = start menu or tablet mode (type cover off touch only mode) = start screen and full screen apps.

tablets = start screen.

Ok. I understand. So the . Are u saying wp10 will be completely different? So the same os for all mobile "sp3, surface 2, Lumia 2520, etc)?

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Have they gave any explanation why they've skipped 9?
I think this gap leaves negative feeling: something went wrong with v9 and they've closed it; inconsistency; mess within the company; you name it.

It's just a name 10 is fitting to me as its almost like a reboot of windows to 1.0 plus this next version is going to be substantial with its unification so 10 is fitting.

nothing went wrong with version 9 as Windows 8 was build 9600 and the technical Preview of Windows 10 is build 98xx. by the time windows is finish it will be build 10xxx and trust me MS has allot of stuff up their sleeve with Windows 10 allot of features are still not shown as yet.

Remember they said the preview is just a scratch and i suspect they have new builds in the 99xx or 10xxx internally as some missing key pieces are : my speculation
1) Modern UI 2.0 -- refreshed design / new API's and features
2) Windows explorer redesign it might change some what we see evidence of new icons so we might get a visual overhaul so the explore window blends in more with windowed modern apps.
3) no mention of notification center, cortana or other non enterprise features which are still cooking.
4) Windows 10 will run from phones go up so there maybe some synergistic features (think apple's continuity and blackberry's blend) i suspect that windows for phone and other factors will allow us similar features.

when u think of that alone plus what MS has not told us you see why 10 is a good name because its a huge release if MS gets every aspect right and functioning flawlessly.

hope this helps

Last edited:

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I understand. So the . Are u saying wp10 will be completely different? So the same os for all mobile "sp3, surface 2, Lumia 2520, etc)?

Its and evolution of Windows 8 but also a new windows in the sense that MS may have reworked the core and most of Windows 8 in this release but at the same time they have taken the parts of windows 7, and windows 8 people loved and thrown them in.

It's not a start from scratch approach where everything was redone remember windows 8 had an advance feature-set and core so they would have built on that core so now windows is scale able from a phone go all the way up to a server (phone, tablet ,laptop , convertible pc/laptop desktop, server, xbox one maybe even an automotive application and hospital / specialized equipment).

as said before the modern UI is rumored to be a version 2.0 with UI and feature set improvements / overhaul.

So WP10 will be the same Windows minus some things like Desktop, the core might scale back and drop off features a phone would not need or use hence WP 10 will be a bit different than its desktop counter part.

It's not a full rewrite of the windows core and other essential aspects so windows 8 devices and WP 8 devices will be upgrade able it wont be like windows phone 7 to 8 where they broke compatibility with old hardware and old users were left in the dust.

so same OS for all but form factor (phone, tablet, laptop, PC, convertible) will determine what UI and features are visible / accessible but the core should be the same on all give or take a few API's and features.

hope this helps got a headache so may not have explained clearly maybe some one can fill in my blanks.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My first reaction is that I don't like the windowed store apps or their always displayed title bars. I thought the show/hide idea in 8.1 was a good compromise. I like what they've shown so far, but that was just 1 thing that jumped out at me from the video.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Its and evolution of Windows 8 but also a new windows in the sense that MS may have reworked the core and most of Windows 8 in this release but at the same time they have taken the parts of windows 7, and windows 8 people loved and thrown them in.

It's not a start from scratch approach where everything was redone remember windows 8 had an advance feature-set and core so they would have built on that core so now windows is scale able from a phone go all the way up to a server (phone, tablet ,laptop , convertible pc/laptop desktop, server, xbox one maybe even an automotive application and hospital / specialized equipment).

as said before the modern UI is rumored to be a version 2.0 with UI and feature set improvements / overhaul.

So WP10 will be the same Windows minus some things like Desktop, the core might scale back and drop off features a phone would not need or use hence WP 10 will be a bit different than its desktop counter part.

It's not a full rewrite of the windows core and other essential aspects so windows 8 devices and WP 8 devices will be upgrade able it wont be like windows phone 7 to 8 where they broke compatibility with old hardware and old users were left in the dust.

so same OS for all but form factor (phone, tablet, laptop, PC, convertible) will determine what UI and features are visible / accessible but the core should be the same on all give or take a few API's and features.

hope this helps got a headache so may not have explained clearly maybe some one can fill in my blanks.

Ok. After you explanation and others I get it. I'll last of the panic button. As long as my SP3 doesn't look like desktop without my permission I'm good.

It's also nice now to have one store. Ballmer should be happy because these is the completion of his vision.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

desktops = start menu
tablets = start screen.

Its been one code base since Windows Vista (NT 6.0) - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077