Windows 10 to run on all Windows Phone 8 Phones

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Duh, if W10 can run on IoT devices, then yes it can run in 512 WP devices. Will just be a matter of ********* carriers.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
While it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is true, this is not official confirmation from MS! Take it with a large serving of salt. And as always, even if this is true, don't forget that carriers have the final say over who gets what.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Of course it is. 98% of the functional changes are in the OS, not the firmware.

They'll probably use the generic firmware to make it work on Windows 10 Dev Preview... I'm sure it's going to be in the backlog of hell for every carriers the Windows 10 update...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Of course it is. 98% of the functional changes are in the OS, not the firmware.

I don't think it's that clear cut. I think this must be judged on a case-by-case basis, for every DP update, and for every WP device model.
If you installed the WP8.1 DP on an ATIV S your camera stopped working. Many with 920's had huge (IMHO unacceptable) battery issues which only the Cyan firmware resolved. Thousands reported flaky behaviour after getting the DP, which a hard reset often fixed, but which many were reluctant to do. Many felt they had no choice but to flash WP8.0 to return to a stable/dependable state. And how many hundreds of times did we see people exclaim: "stfu, it's a beta!" (despite that not ever having been MS' intention)?
Those aren't the signs of a legitimate update for general use. Just getting the OS update doesn't count. It must also work properly, i.e. without any serious flaws! The WP8.1 DP was a disaster in that regard.
On the other hand, many DP updates prior to WP8.1 and some afterwards have been flawless.
This begs the question what WP10 DP will be like. If it again causes hardware malfunctions or halves peoples battery life, then no, it's not an update for the general public and should probably be avoided, even if it is the only way to get WP10.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's that clear cut. I think this must be judged on a case-by-case basis, for every DP update, and for every WP device model.
If you installed the WP8.1 DP on an ATIV S your camera stopped working. Many with 920's had huge (IMHO unacceptable) battery issues which only the Cyan firmware resolved. Thousands reported flaky behaviour after getting the DP, which a hard reset often fixed, but which many were reluctant to do. Many felt they had no choice but to flash WP8.0 to return to a stable/dependable state. And how many hundreds of times did we see people exclaim: "stfu, it's a beta!" (despite that not ever having been MS' intention)?
Those aren't the signs of a legitimate update for general use. Just getting the OS update doesn't count. It must also work properly, i.e. without any serious flaws! The WP8.1 DP was a disaster in that regard.
On the other hand, many DP updates prior to WP8.1 and some afterwards have been flawless.
This begs the question what WP10 DP will be like. If it again causes hardware malfunctions or halves peoples battery life, then no, it's not an update for the general public and should probably be avoided, even if it is the only way to get WP10.

Thanks for that. I was going to say something along those lines but you saved me from having to do so.

People seem to forget the issues that WP8.1 has had. You didn't mention the bitlocker situation that meant you either had to wait until it was resolved or use the Nokia Recovery Software Tool.

Also, to clarify, when I asked is it really an update, it wasn't to do with features, I was referring mostly to the issues around DPs and how fickle they can be. It's probably likely that my phone won't get W10 based on my carrier's seeming reluctance for pushing updates out and since it's a two year old phone to boot. However I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, that's of course if I still have my phone at that time...

ile2010

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that. I was going to say something along those lines but you saved me from having to do so.

People seem to forget the issues that WP8.1 has had. You didn't mention the bitlocker situation that meant you either had to wait until it was resolved or use the Nokia Recovery Software Tool.

Also, to clarify, when I asked is it really an update, it wasn't to do with features, I was referring mostly to the issues around DPs and how fickle they can be. It's probably likely that my phone won't get W10 based on my carrier's seeming reluctance for pushing updates out and since it's a two year old phone to boot. However I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, that's of course if I still have my phone at that time...

I'm not disputing issues that people had with the 8.1 DP, but I hadn't encountered any issues on my 920, 928, 1020, or Icon running DP. In the case of the 928, it solved some camera issues I was having.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia 810 isn't going to get it at least not officially. There is no way to know how bad it will be to do it via DP. I don't think the Icon will get it either and probably none of the current phones on Verizon except maybe the M8.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I said 98% of the functional changes are in the OS. That's doesn't mean there aren't important back end updates/improvements. But to the end user, the OS is where they see the biggest impact.

If you look at the post I quoted, I think that's a pretty fair statement.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I said 98% of the functional changes are in the OS. That's doesn't mean there aren't important back end updates/improvements. But to the end user, the OS is where they see the biggest impact.

If you look at the post I quoted, I think that's a pretty fair statement.

I agree with all of that, and while it literally answers LaRue's question, it doesn't actually address his point. That is all. I think you might just have gone a bit too crazy speed reading or something like that 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3