Hope Windows 10 will have unrestricted multitasking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I hope I am not alone in annoyance at the way Windows Phone 8.1 lacks true multitasking.
Having got used to having other apps run in the background untouched or unsuspended in the then Symbian and Android, It feels so bizarre to me to see apps in windows phone being suspended in the background once I leave the apps' screens. Coupled with the annoying resuming issue, I feel pathetic about my phone not being responsive and smart when I needed it to show my friends things!
Be that as it may, I plead Microsoft to do something about this. I feel sick 😷 about this and my phone!

anon8957882

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
You do realise that it was done to save power. I think it's a more efficient way of power management to pause the apps where they are when pushed to the background. I am okay with it. A second of delay can be tolerated for that "resuming" screen.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
If an app has "fast resume" turned on then they resume very quickly. A fast resume app is suspended but not dumped from memory (unless you run low on memory by using other apps), so it doesn't have to reload everything when you switch back to it. I have that set on my WP8 app and it's seamless switching back to it.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, resuming isn't much of a bother to me as long as I know my battery can last all day, and unless I'm gaming, it can. Yay Lumia 920. :)

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
You do realise that it was done to save power. I think it's a more efficient way of power management to pause the apps where they are when pushed to the background. I am okay with it. A second of delay can be tolerated for that "resuming" screen.

If so, then there should be an option to turn ON or OFF true multitasking in order to conserve power and have full utility of one's phone. Now, I feel that my phone can't run any other thing in the background except music...Downloading with apps stops when you leave the app...what a pathetic life!

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
If so, then there should be an option to turn ON or OFF true multitasking in order to conserve power and have full utility of one's phone. Now, I feel that my phone can't run any other thing in the background except music...Downloading with apps stops when you leave the app...what a pathetic life!

You may have tried apps that don't allow download in background. Use UC Browser and see it works well if you download anything in background. It depends upon the app if it was designed to handle background task.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Making things odd than the usual accepted way is sometimes good, but this time MS got it wrong 👎!
Let me have full control of my phone: It is not much to ask! Following or coping Iphone restrictions strategies won't help MS outside US soil.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what's wrong with being a fan, you seem like a fan yourself, actually while my photo is a selfie with a phone that doesn't show a brand's name or logo, yours is a company's product logo so.... :D

Josip Zeljko

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping I had just misread when you put Android. I've never had an Android device that works like you seem to think. I've had two tablets and one phone, 3.0-4.4, and they all had to refresh apps just like my 1520 does sometimes.
That's not entirely true. My wife has a higher low end android phone (Huawei g630) with 1gb ram and switching between apps is seamless.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
That's not entirely true. My wife has a higher low end android phone (Huawei g630) with 1gb ram and switching between apps is seamless.

I'm glad you're here to tell me that my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and Motorola Xoom didn't refresh apps a lot if I browsed the internet. That makes it suddenly not have happened.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
People don't seem to understand what true multitasking is here. True multitasking is that the application continues to run despite it has been minimized (This is not the definition though, but a special case for mobile OSes) and you are working on another program. Right now for example I listen to a youtube clip and I want to continue to do that while I'm working in another program, it isn't possible. This is possible in by default in Symbian, BB10 and even Windows Mobile!!. I'm a bit surprised that Microsoft went this path with totally suspend applications with their long experience with this. They seems to have copied Apple a little bit too much but for a business phone, true multitasking is a requirement.

They should enable true multitasking for their applications and totally suspend an application should not be a requirement. Android has a middle way, that screen off will suspend all applications but sometimes even that isn't enough. The problem with this is if the browser is running and some heavy flash ad is running eating your battery despite your screen is off, how should you prevent that? Well, one solution is that you can enable/disable this functionality on application basis and you are responsible for this yourself. Another possible solution is that you limit the time a program can run in screen off mode.

I wish they made Windows Phone more like desktop windows regarding this. Also that they update the contents of the applications in task switcher screen just like on your taskbar in desktop Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3