Here is why I think that Windows 10 is Microsoft's last chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I think Windows 10 is Microsoft's last chance to get a reasonable share in the mobile consumer world.
There is one simple reason:

With the release of the Nokia N1, it's pretty reasonable to expect a Nokia Android phone. They aren't allowed to sell it before 1.1.16, but they can probably announce it next year, just around this time of the year.

If Microsoft fails to deliver a solid flagship with good hardware AND software, with availability before Nokia announces the phone, I fear many of their customers will go back to Nokia.
I'm pretty sure a high percentage of WP users (geeks, those who build mind share and recommend phones to friends and family) are WP users because they followed Nokia.
If Microsoft losses these people, I don't think they could recover. WP would probably become a niche business product, like BlackBerry.

No hating here, only worrying. What do you think, do you come to the same conclusion? And will Microsoft be able to deliver?
At the moment, I would say it's 50/50...

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
As above, I am on Windows Central because it's a forum about Windows and MS products.

I happened to buy a Nokia 1520 because I had enjoyed the OS on my wife's and kids HTC Windows OS powered phones (WP7), but I didn't buy it because it was a Nokia.

And if I had I would have probably joined a Nokia forum rather than a Windows Phone based one.

Don't matter what Nokia make in the future, if its got Android on it I am not interested.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'll be staying with Lumia , with Ms know-how the best is yet to come! Android running out of steam....and the Ms train is just starting.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm here 100% because of Nokia and if they leave MS, I have no choice than to follow my most qualified tech. giant, Nokia! Waiting for Windows 10 for phone for a fate that will determine my staying with MS come 2016. Grossly waiting and calculating!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Whatever "Nokia" makes will be just another android in a sea of androids. And anyone who blindly follows a company that has already divested itself of the very product it was known for in the first place is deceiving themselves. Good luck to the "Nokia" faithful when the Chinese OEMs eat them for lunch.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Whatever "Nokia" makes will be just another android in a sea of androids. And anyone who blindly follows a company that has already divested itself of the very product it was known for in the first place is deceiving themselves. Good luck to the "Nokia" faithful when the Chinese OEMs eat them for lunch.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

I don't mind since I joined them, they have never disappointed me hardware wise. So to build Android phone under Nokia is just best hardware meet great OS = Case closed...

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm here for the Windows operating system. While Nokia holds a high standard for build quality in my eyes, I'm going with whatever is the prominent way to get my WP fix.

If it didn't look like a step down from my Lumia 830, I'd be all over the Microsoft-branded Lumia 535

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand, Nokia is a separate company to Microsoft, they are still going and now making a tablet with Android on it.

Several months ago Microsoft bought what was Nokia's phone making division, so from that day there was no Nokia phone maker, they still had Nokia printed on them because MS licensed the name as it would have been impossible to change in a day, but they are MS products.

To put it bluntly if you are a fan of Nokia at all costs, what on earth are you doing here, this forum is for Windows and MS stuff even the forum had a name change from Windows Phone to Windows Central giving some clue as to the changes that have taken place.

Time to move on I would have thought.

Sorry about the double post, not sure how that happened

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Anyone thinking that Android is not the best OS now is dreaming. The only reason people still patronise WP OS is because of Nokia or just because they want to try something new. If at the end, nothing new that was actually new comes out, they take to their heels back to Android!

hugo alberto

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I bought a windows phone because of Nokia (I wanted the best camera and the 1020 was the best option coming from an N73, N82 and N8). if nokia becomes one manufacturer more of android, i will stay with Microsoft.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand, Nokia is a separate company to Microsoft, they are still going and now making a tablet with Android on it.

Several months ago Microsoft bought what was Nokia's phone making division, so from that day there was no Nokia phone maker, they still had Nokia printed on them because MS licensed the name as it would have been impossible to change in a day, but they are MS products.

To put it bluntly if you are a fan of Nokia at all costs, what on earth are you doing here, this forum is for Windows and MS stuff even the forum had a name change from Windows Phone to Windows Central giving some clue as to the changes that have taken place.

Time to move on I would have thought.

Sorry about the double post, not sure how that happened

On the blunt note, you are probably a beta tester who just got amazed (so to speak) at Windows phone live tiles, but soon your experiment will be over as there will be nothing new other than just shiny tiles!
I pray that this statement wouldn't be true as Windows 10 for phones could possibly be disappointing!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
That is my choice, and that is why I am on a Windows forum.

If on the reverse you don't like MS products, or will follow Nokia whatever they do, it's also your choice, but what on earth are you doing on a Windows based forum.

anon8957882

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I'll be staying with Lumia , with Ms know-how the best is yet to come! Android running out of steam....and the Ms train is just starting.

Either it started long ago. Or it starts every two years. They can't (actually you can't) say "this is the beginning" everytime while working on a fix for something they screwed up. Saying that everytime is a desperate attempt to fool the customers and prevent them from changing platform.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit, I've come to know Nokia late in the game so it reads like, at least according to the OP, WP people are chomping at the bit to run to android powered Nokia or in other words, its Nokia no matter the OS. Do you have an opinion on why they are still here? What was the last pre-WP Nokia flagship? Anyone know?

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

If on the reverse you don't like MS products, or will follow Nokia whatever they do, it's also your choice, but what on earth are you doing on a Windows based forum.

In case you missed it: Microsoft makes it pretty easy to stay with Nokia and with the Microsoft ecosystem.
I can love Microsoft's services and still go with a Nokia phone.

anon8957882

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit, I've come to know Nokia late in the game so it reads like, at least according to the OP, WP people are chomping at the bit to run to android powered Nokia or in other words, its Nokia no matter the OS. Do you have an opinion on why they are still here? What was the last pre-WP Nokia flagship? Anyone know?

Maybe they do not know in the US. Europeans would know. In Asian countries like India which is a huge market for feature phones and low to mid range smartphones, there was a time when "a phone" meant Nokia. Only after the influx of cheap Android devices from Samsung and its aggressive marketing coupled with the attitude of Nokia at the time, Nokia lost its market share.

Coming to the point, people in India still buy phones for Nokia name no matter what software it has. I, for one, am no longer mesmerized by the live tiles (used Windows 8 since its DP & WP since over a year) and can change to Android 5 (not earlier versions) device made by Nokia.

Although it is notable that the reason people trusted Nokia is their great hardware and now all that rests in the hands of a lousy corporation like Microsoft. What a loss..

raavanan

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi..!

The main reason for me to use WP is Nokia and its solid hardware,
i loved the Symbian OS but unfortunately Nokia left that OS,
but when i started to use windows i didn't miss Symbian,
windows has a simple interface and the live tiles gives an awesome feeling.
Nokia may come back with android but it will take some time for them to participate actively in the market since many OEMs are already struggling to take a place in the market.
no idea of leaving windows, waiting for windows 10 for my lumia 1020.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

It is simply because I am still holding a Nokia Phone running a Windows Phone OS. If there is a great alternative from Nokia now, I bet that I will be the last person here, in this forum.
Let Nokia jump to the Android ship come 2016 with great phones and see if Windows forum will be as hot as now!
No offences meant though!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I admit it's a grey area, as there are still Lumia phones that were made by Nokia, but Nokia no longer make phones (They may in the future) all the currently produced phones even if they still say Nokia on them are produced by MS they are not Nokia's but Microsoft products.

If you buy a 535 it will now say Microsoft, if you buy a 735/830/930 it will say Nokia but it is not built by Nokia, MS are still using the name as they still have a license to do so and it isn't possible to re-tool overnight but they are Microsoft phones.

And the only way this is going to change is if MS do re-tool the machines to make all new phones say MS and end the confusion that seems to exist among some people, Nokia no longer have a phone division, they don't make phones any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3