Why is my Windows 10 cpu usage so jumpy?

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
windows 10 cpu usage

My laptop(i5/4gb) even under just normal usage it fan revs up too fast and also normal usage (browsing IE) is pretty slow and then when I open task manager, cpu usage is around 60-70% , and within 2-3 seconds it drops to 1-5% and fans slows down after 5-10 seconds and its well and good.

Any idea what's causing this ?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: windows 10 cpu usage

Unoptimized drivers can do that. Since they're only the generic Microsoft Windows drivers running on Windows 10 Tech Preview, you can expect many bugs and sometimes some broken things on your PC.

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Well actually I forgot to write that it was same with windows 8.1 , so got nothing to do with drivers. It's some background task of windows.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

You should look at your task manager and see if you have a rogue task. We can't really help you much without knowing what's talking up the CPU.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I wish I never installed win10. I did like it but my HP laptop, cpu, would go crazy even when I wasn't doing anything. I installed win7 and on Welcome screen it would freeze for up to two minutes, then it either works normally or sound wouldn't work even after multiple restarts. Now I installed another win7 also freezes but at least sound works.. I think it messed up with HDD, I got all drivers it needs

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I wish I never installed win10. I did like it but my HP laptop, cpu, would go crazy even when I wasn't doing anything. I installed win7 and on Welcome screen it would freeze for up to two minutes, then it either works normally or sound wouldn't work even after multiple restarts. Now I installed another win7 also freezes but at least sound works.. I think it messed up with HDD, I got all drivers it needs

That doesn't even make sense. It it's probably just drivers and the like. Are you all updated in terms of OS and drivers?

Ozzy1320

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Out of curiosity why did you install win10 on your main notebook/desktop? (If I'm wrong please excuse me you didn't really specify). And I'm not really sure if you know but HP has the tendency to make slightly difficult to install other Op systems on the products. (Driver related Issues BTW).

In reply to Av2ry

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Out of curiosity why did you install win10 on your main notebook/desktop? (If I'm wrong please excuse me you didn't really specify). And I'm not really sure if you know but HP has the tendency to make slightly difficult to install other Op systems on the products. (Driver related Issues BTW).

Because..
-I wanted try out 10 without tiles from win8 (metro stile or whatever it calls. I didnt like it)
-I had original Recovery portion (on Disk E) and if something happens I could (was supposed to) easily go back to win7 as I did before.
-I didnt know my laptop will restart for no reason everytime I use it.

I did mention I have "HP laptop"
I dont know what you mean by driver related issues, but you can download drivers from HP website

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

-I didnt know my laptop will restart for no reason everytime I use it.

Erm.... Thats the whole point of BETA TESTER....to see if there is any bugs....did you think it will be a perfect copy of windows 10 ?????QUOTE]

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Erm.... Thats the whole point of BETA TESTER....to see if there is any bugs....did you think it will be a perfect copy of windows 10 ?????QUOTE]
No I didnt . That's why I stated my second point, and you still asked me. Well, anyway, I'm guessing those frequent restarts messed up with my HDD (going back to my very first post)

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 runs fine on my 5 year old laptop, no lag. Only problem was the fan, and the heat.

My laptop keeps heating up even on idle. And the fan keep blowing at full speed.

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Yeah that's what I'm taking about, there's some background task seems like windows service(maintenance) which keeps revving CPU to 100%, even when it's on idle.
Though i found a work around just keep task manager opened it'll keep a check on background tasks.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
No I didnt . That's why I stated my second point, and you still asked me. Well, anyway, I'm guessing those frequent restarts messed up with my HDD (going back to my very first post)

I installed win 10 on 3 laptops and 1 desktop. No bugs. If you need help, contact the Windows team. You probably didn't install it correctly, because most people have no problems.

In future, please refrain from conducting beta tests, as you clearly do not have basic computing skills.

Thanks.

soniku san

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
hi. i agree with AV2RY and pandhersaab27. i have been using windows 10 since they release the first preview build 9xxx and got along with most bugs that didn't really bother my system at all, even that annoying win32x shell bug on the previous build didn't really slow me down. me like AV2RY i don't really have spare machines laying around so i have been doing my day to day computing with it wile testing.... to be honest i think that the real point of the preview to see if you can actually do work with your operating system. i have been building code solutions making images and video editing along with some hardcore gaming. no real problem apart from some compatibility problems that can be easily fixed most of the time. to the point though there is processes that are eating away at my PC for this build which was not in the previous builds. as much as the build in question (build 10130) looks so much improved with button placements and app fixes there is a serious problem. i noticed after activating windows and completely turning off windows defender (found under the settings app now... long ! and also the first time since testing switching this off) there was some improvements on process consumption. i have also found that leaving the system idle for more then 5 minutes the power consumption CPU and memory usages jump up and goes joggy and my PC sound like a vacuum cleaner again. which on further inspection was actually the system idle process was the cause. so i say your right AV2RY and pandhersaab27 there is some choppy code in this build on the system lvl. ie windows defender, system idle process, and drivers. im getting about 0% - 30% - 60% CPU usage when the system is idle, which only happens usaly when im playing very graphics intensive games ie (tomb raider 2013 on max) or call of duty or something. also its a fresh install of windows for each build they release that i use.

Last edited:

soniku san

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
more on this issue can be found here .

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/10130-exploreexe-error-message-shutdown/5a531b21-1aca-4a0f-81a6-f8b0f683882d

also here
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/turn-off-msmpengexe-starting-at-startup/8cf0652d-6143-4b6a-b852-7afa56ce52f1

and here
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/what-is-net-runtime-optimization-service-and-why/1f8779db-4dab-4f8c-aa86-dfd2ac176fd7

should help with this annoying issue. i noticed that the posts in this thread were for some time ago but its still persistent. btw if removing windows defender install some kind of antivirus that works for you.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3