Shell32.dll and old windows 99 files

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I was messing around, looking for new icons or "stuff" in Shell32.dll, and I noticed how polluted it is by old files. You've still got icons and .avi files from Windows xp and even 99 just lying around. They aren't even used through the OS. I bet that if Microsoft got rid of all that legacy stuff (not only in Shell32.dll), they could lighten Windows 10 by a few hundred megabytes... You've got stuff like screenshots of the win99 (or 98) taskbar :straight:

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Exactly what I think. When you open Windows folder, there are stuff even from 3.1, that strangely are never removed from newer versions of Windows, like some stupid animated clock (I dunno if its still there) and tons of legacy sh*t you mentioned. Are MS that lazy or stupid? If I was responsible I would even remove half the sh*t noone uses like wordpad and other useless things. Just make Windows bare bones and light.. This is insane.. Also remove this stupid WMP already and replace it with something entirely fresh, modern and functional.. WordPad, NotePad, StickyNotes now maybe built in OneNote.. i dont even. I don't even think any of Windows versions can be considered major release, since its basically tons of legacy bullsh*t like "You've got stuff like screenshots of the win99 (or 98) taskbar :) " and some fancy skin on top. The kernel is so bloated that you can probably find Bill Gates class notes in some .dll

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I bet that if Microsoft got rid of all that legacy stuff (not only in Shell32.dll), they could lighten Windows 10 by a few hundred megabytes... You've got stuff like screenshots of the win99 (or 98) taskbar :straight:

And what then happens to software that references resources in Shell32.dll and other files? If you can access it, how many software packages do too? How much world wide screaming are we willing to endure in exchange for a few hundred megabytes of disk space saved?

It's not happening. In that sense the Win32 environment is damned to be bloated until the end of its days. At least I can't think of any way out.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
And what then happens to software that references resources in Shell32.dll and other files? If you can access it, how many software packages do too? How much world wide screaming are we willing to endure in exchange for a few hundred megabytes of disk space saved?

It's not happening. In that sense the Win32 environment is damned to be bloated until the end of its days. At least I can't think of any way out.

They could do something like rooting all old crappy stuff towards a unique "broken file" thing. And I mean seriously, which software can you think of that references to this stuff?:

oldshell32stuff.jpg
oldshell32stuff2.jpg
oldshell32icon (2).jpg

(All found in shell32.dll)

Attachments

• oldshell32stuff2.bmp
    12 KB · Views: 11
  • oldshell32stuff.bmp
    37.6 KB · Views: 10

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ You are very mistaken if you think such software doesn't exist. Think of the hundreds of thousands of companies world wide, who during the last two decades, had some tool built that is still in use today. Obviously you won't find software like Photoshop or Word using this stuff, but a lot of other software does. The kind that some companies spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on, which hasn't been updated in 10 years, and who expect MS to ensure those investments remain functional.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ world wide xp is at 20% (I think, haven't looked in quite a while). I think that means most will have upgraded by now. Upgrading an OS is dirt cheap, at least compared to getting corporate software updated.

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think its Microsofts problem, but these lazy software makers that don't update their software..

Yeah.. Totally right but... I'd Microsoft doesn't keeps retro compatibility companies won't update their OS, just like happened with XP->Vista.. Companies found that their older software weren't working under Vista so they stayed in XP.. And the same with 7.. 8.. Etc.. So Microsoft leaves old things for all that old software that some companies don't want to update to newer platforms.. So our OS keeps gaining size and size.. Hope this explains a little further why all those things are still there..

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So, hypothetically if Microsoft removes all these legacy stuff, and companies' software stops working, what? These companies will stop using Windows?

floopydoodle

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I always thought that they should implement shims in GDI (or whatever system handles icon drawing) that redirects any icon reference from legacy libraries to an appropriate icon in imageres.dll/ddores.dll/shell32.dll. That way they can cut alot of icon bloat from system files without worrying about compatibility. You also get a nice facelift for old applications.

There should never really be duplicate icons at all (There is alot of them in Vista+). Except for exe icons of course. Every megabyte counts when you consider cheap x86 tablets with limited storage. Although this is probably too much work for very little reward.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
In reality, if it stops working on new versions of Windows they stay on the old versions and stop upgrading for those legacy use applications. Doesn't have any impact on businesses upgrading to new office computers or home users who don't care about that legacy crap. After all, not like they have the choice to switch to Linux (nothing works) or Mac (could get by but costly for businesses and prohibitive training efforts).

It's a brilliant idea to have a SKU of Windows that dumps the legacy stuff. Unfortunately, they've already tried it and it failed in practice... it was called Windows RT. So maybe Windows 10 "Tablet/Phone" SKU will change the picture, but for now, it is what it is.

anon(8721097)

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Exactly what I think. When you open Windows folder, there are stuff even from 3.1, that strangely are never removed from newer versions of Windows, like some stupid animated clock (I dunno if its still there) and tons of legacy sh*t you mentioned. Are MS that lazy or stupid? If I was responsible I would even remove half the sh*t noone uses like wordpad and other useless things. Just make Windows bare bones and light.. This is insane.. Also remove this stupid WMP already and replace it with something entirely fresh, modern and functional.. WordPad, NotePad, StickyNotes now maybe built in OneNote.. i dont even. I don't even think any of Windows versions can be considered major release, since its basically tons of legacy bullsh*t like "You've got stuff like screenshots of the win99 (or 98) taskbar :) " and some fancy skin on top. The kernel is so bloated that you can probably find Bill Gates class notes in some .dll

Those **** are for compatible reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb