Hamburger menu!!

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
We won't die, but I agree with OP. I don't like new start screen. Hope there will be some options to customize it. For me, in 8.1 is perfect. :) Well, in either case, it's too soon for opinions and judging. We'll see in march (assuming MS will pospone preview.) :)

LLPO

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
It's a terrible UX decision probably made just to appeal to terrible Android developers... There's a uservoice page but I can't post links yet :(

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Small price to pay to grab a few developers IMHO. But doesn't this show up on IOS too? Kind of a universal image now.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Small price to pay to grab a few developers IMHO. But doesn't this show up on IOS too? Kind of a universal image now.

Yeah, I don't understand it either. People are so hipster with the "but I want to be as different from everyone as humanly possible". I mean, I like what Microsoft did in the last OneDrive update where they had a metro feel, but kept the hamburger menu for usability. To me, its a great balance of form and function, but people need a reason to complain.

LLPO

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
It's not about being different, it's a matter of having the courage to fight for a superior idea.

In the case of the OneDrive app you mentioned, it's a usability nightmare. The hamburger menu displays a screen which simply hides functions (Progress and Settings) which could happily sit in the ordinary menu under the ellipsis.

The bigger problem is that the UI is left in disarray... the user has to look in three places to find functions: the hamburger menu in the top left, the search button in the top right, and the rest at the bottom.

If the app followed the Modern UI guidelines, all of those would be at the bottom, leaving the user with no uncertainty.

At least in the Windows 10 screenshots, they have cleared up this confusion by only using the hamburger menu.

But the annoying thing is that they've forgotten what was good about the current WP design principles:
1. Functions at the bottom, near your fingers, where the screen can't be covered
2. Iconography with easily accessible captions (non-IT people hate guessing what a button will do)
3. An elegant solution for showing some functions and hiding others (hamburger menus hide or show everything at once)

8 ways to tell if your mobile app sucks | Pocketnow

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...ons/6993439-buttons-to-down-not-use-hamburger
Vote if you don't like the regression of the Modern UI!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think it's obvious by now that MS began to lose it's core vision of UI design between 8.0 and 8.1. The generic and very Android-like Outlook app and the new settings screen are just further proof that they're not interested in keeping their own idenity. As someone who got into Windows Phone because of how unique and stylish it was this is disappointing. I have no interest in a copycat OS.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I don't understand it either. People are so hipster with the "but I want to be as different from everyone as humanly possible". I mean, I like what Microsoft did in the last OneDrive update where they had a metro feel, but kept the hamburger menu for usability. To me, its a great balance of form and function, but people need a reason to complain.

Didn't bother me. I agree with the balance.
(Been user since WP7)

barbaram

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Why?

Why do people hate the hamburger? It seems fine to me. I also like the dots. I don't understand why one is more stylish or functions better. Can anyone enlighten me?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Besides with big phones you have to use both hands anyways. For example:

how do you reach the first email in the mail app?, open the action center?, launch rudy hyns' apps from the app list? etc.

dsimages

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
It's not just the hamburger menu either. I noticed in one of the apps he was demo'ing there was a "back" arrow at the top left. Yes, just like ios and alot of android apps.

The reality is that it doesn't matter if its like other os's. It's about usability and redundancy. Main reason why I left android.
sent via my 1520

Besides with big phones you have to use both hands anyways. For example:

how do you reach the first email in the mail app?, open the action center?, launch rudy hyns' apps from the app list? etc.

The "pull down from the top" is a joke. Why can't we slide the start screen to the right to reveal an action center?

I also noticed that spartan's adress bar is at the top.
They should have taken the modern IE layout with Spartans new features and call it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Because sliding from the right already has a function in panorama views so it would work inconsistently depending on whether you were in an app or not.

Being different for the sake of being different is pointless. Swiping from the top works and works well. The fact that it originated on another platform is irrelevant.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
You guys will be complaining forever, I hope you know that. I don't care how it looks just give me the features I need and want. [bleep] Metro, [bleep] panorama. All you guys do is hold on to the past. One tech writer even argued that we should bring back built in Hubs for goodness sake. Completely forgetting the huge problems they brought. It seems like being different has created more headache for Microsoft than its worth, they can't move forward. People want their cake and they want to eat it too. And the Nokia hardcore fans that say they wont buy a windows phone with the words "Microsoft" on it in lieu of "Nokia". Give me a brake numbnuts its the same thing, same people making the phone. It seems it to me it would be better that all these people who don't like where Microsoft is going should jump ship put all of us out of our misery. You don't complain about what MS is doing we don't have to listen to your constant whining, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why?

Why do people hate the hamburger? It seems fine to me. I also like the dots. I don't understand why one is more stylish or functions better. Can anyone enlighten me?

Therein lies the problem, even though apparently, you don't have an issue with it. You had the '...' to draw up general menus or go to settings and now, on top of that, you've also got the hamburger. It's a subtle but tangibly jarring change in the way in which Windows Phone apps work. So now, which menu system does what, which do you pick?

The other aspect to this is that the hamburger menu invades your screen real estate in ways the ellipsis never did. I imagine that this will be softened by transparency - which itself is yet another U-turn on the modern UI and how it's supposed to be presented. Also, by moving your finger to the top left corner to bring up the hamburger, you obscure the whole screen with your hand every time so, unlike on a desktop, the experience on the phone is less fluid and the UI and your hand gestures actually get in your way.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It looks like the three dots (and bottom buttons) are not completely gone, at least, depending on the app. I'm okay with the hamburger if it's more a top level mode change (like from Inbox to Sent Items or something like that), while the bottom stays with the functions (new email, select, etc). And LLPO was right....it was a pretty elegant solution for the captions, as well as showing common functions and allowing for more.

Showing concern is good, voicing it is great (Microsoft seems to at least listen to users), but I believe it's premature to assume the WP8/8.1 design (which I'm still in love with) is completely dead and gone and that the 10 UI is horrible. Give it a couple weeks, test the 10 DP, and let them update it, test it again. Something tells me it will still be beautiful and functional.

Michael Fuller1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I really like the new Windows 10 for Phone Start Screen because it gives it a whole new refresh and a whole new look to your phone. I loved the way its laid out and its basically home territory for me because the Metro UI is still there. I don't care if people say it ruins it. I don't care if its a hamburger menu. I like the new start screen. That is MY opinion. Everyone else has their own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros