Windows 10: An Open letter to OEMs

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and HTC would never see this but this is an open letter I wish I could send them lol

In the WP8 and Wp8.1 era of things, I saw no real reason to buy or support anything outside the Lumia line. When you look at the other offerings and the overall full package, in most cases, Lumia prove to be worth the better value and offered more choice.

With windows 10, I have no idea what is in store and I honestly like that. My ideal dream phone would be the bad*** size of my 1520 with 1020 camera like power. The two best(well the 930 is in there) windows phones with enhanced features.

Still....the other OEMs. I generally found them to be irrelevant in the WP 8/8.1 era because in most cases they are. it's not that they have bad hardware. They don't. In fact phones like the SE or M8 are excellent phones and had there been no Lumia ever made, I'd likely have chosen Samsung windows phones.

But in Windows 10

1. Unique designs
I would love to see unique design and form factors...The 8x was a beautiful device that was hampered by HTC poor and crappy support yet it had a richly beautiful design, the camera wasn't that bad(not lumia esque of course, but better imo than the M8) and of course beats by dre integration.

I miss the uniqueness of the hardware we had in Windows Phone 7. It seems that uniqueness went away with Windows Phone 8...and then we seem to be happy to get rehashed android phones.

That's great but we should want more innovation, not just hand me downs. We should demand these OEMs who have no problem trying different form factors to bring some of that vision hey have and do something unique for windows phone.

I am not okay with android rehashes and that is one of the reason why I can't see myself using an android turned windows phone UNLESS they....

2. Show full support for BOTH your products.

These OEMs are like parents playing favorites to their children. So what if your other child is seemingly the perfect child(the android device) and brings any so much attention and acclaim. That means you need to do less hand holding with that one and focus more so on the one who may not be as 'perfect' but has a broader sense of potential in it that has yet to be untapped.

At this stage, Samsung Galaxy phones sell themselves. Do you REALLY need to go all out to constantly advertise it? Why not start showing some love for your ATIV Se?

I just thought of a brilliant 'Twins' concept for the M8 and M8 windows devices that could've been a marketing campaign. Showcase the nearly identical hardware while showcasing both of their unique styles(OS).

This is precisely the reason, a majority of windows phones owners will choose a Lumia over these devices and why these OEMs complain about sales. It's not so much windows phone' fault but the fact you show little interest in your own windows phone. So tell me...why should I?

3. Bring More unique features

It seems like Windows Phone 8.1 made these OEMs lose unique features. Know your strengths and make sure we know them and show your pride(going back to number 2).

HTC is known for its speakers(which I believe are a gimmick and not as great as people claim, but I digress). Further enhance that feature in and make it even better.

Samsung is known for their amazing screen quality as well as their Snote stuff and their own suite of Samsung features/apps.....Bring those to your windows phone and show pride in it.

And of course Lumia with its camera and video recording capabilities and the innovation that brings with it. But stop giving your unique features out(Microsoft looking at you).

Either bring all OEM apps and make them universal for all users(Lumia shouldn't solely be for everyone if the others aren't) OR focus on your own products. Non-Lumia phones don't need Lumia apps to make the OS better(you people really should let that argument go). The OS needs OEMs to start raising the bar and adding competitive features to their own devices.

In the end, I still am far more likely to choose a Lumia device for windows 10. But I am open minded enough and curious enough to see what these other OEMs will do and can do.

I am not giving a free pass or forgetting your track record in WP7, 8 and 8.1. Nor am I granting a second chance. But you have the ability to persuade me simply by doing 1 or more of these 3 things.

Your challenge isn't necessarily to get Non-WP users on WP(that's Microsoft main priority) but rather to start offering compelling enough reasons why existing windows phone users should give you a chance on your products when we already have an established brand that has proven itself in Lumia(My opinion)

Are you up for the challenge? I am curious can you persuade this Lumia ****** by finally offering your absolute best with no BS and No compromises :p Apple tempted me with is hardware an OS. You have an advantage...I like the OS. Now tempt me with your best.

(Hint: HTC I was an avid supporter of yours during your android domination and I know you are capable of many 'firsts'...time to stop playing 2nd fiddle)

PS- If anyone wants to still say I am Lumia bias, that's cool too as I wear my "lumia ******' title proudly haha :p For me however, I am just not one to accept mediocrity when I know people are capable of more, they choose not to.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I will probably tweet it to them haha. I'm sure this is not something I could post on their forums haha

I like the idea of Tweeting to them.

I agree that it might not be good to post on their forums. One of my friends got banned from Apple official forums for complaints about OS X Yosemite!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett